REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #1201
Head Moderator
Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,961 Posts
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
3rd storm supposed to hit today. TBH, these storms were overhyped. At least in my area, it was windy and lots of rain, but nothing that drastic. But then again, you see pictures like this.
So wtf?

Looks like the "storm" is being very selective.
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
This feels like the regular fall season in Vancouver. I don't see or understand this greatest storm in 30 years business. Such a hype machine.
It really does depend on where along the coast you're situated, it seems. I know the islands took the brunt of the storm, which meant the mainland received a somewhat lessened blow.

That said, it seemed to be at the higher elevations where it was the most noticeable. I drove into town from Kamloops on Saturday night, right in the middle of the storm and let me tell you that was a mistake. I was watching vehicles being buffeted around on the road. More than once I saw a truck suddenly jerk from one side of the road all the way across two other lanes and onto the other side of the road just from some of the blasts of wind. My car is small and low and even I was being knocked around like crazy. And don't get me started on all the rain and snow that was falling at the same time.

By the time I got to Langley and Abbotsford there were tons of roads closed due to downed tree, powerlines and floods and huge sections without power.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #1202
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
Thanked 4,932 Times in 1,963 Posts
I know everyone here hates Vancity buzz but this is a valid point

It’s almost like some people are disappointed that BC wasn’t battered by 100 km/hr winds, or that major power outages didn’t sweep across the region.
count me in

Opinion: Our close shave with this week's storm should serve as a warning | Daily Hive Vancouver
My BST Feedback
Old 10-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #1203
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,160 Posts
BC Hydro reported 284,000 customers lost power during the storm, most were restored by this morning.

I know we didn't get hit too hard in Duncan, but it looks like Nanaimo and Victoria got hit pretty hard judging from the power outages maps on BC Hydro's website.

A co-worker who went to Tofino for storm watching said she was pretty disappointed because it was sunny most of the storm there, apparently.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #1204
I help report spam so I got this! <--
Storm not strong enough. First world problem...... Like Lomac said, just be thankful for Vancouver Island. Whatever fuck you nature throws at us (storm, tsunami, earthquake), they will always take the hardest hits first and shield the mainland.

Big prop to BCHydro, these guys was definitely prepared. Outage website, communication flow on social media. Big improvement over last year. They have resources (crews) assigned pretty quick too. Perfect example of good customer service.
This post thanked by: