REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Soft Tissue Damage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/595359-soft-tissue-damage.html)

Inaii 11-06-2009 01:53 PM

Soft Tissue Damage

Was in a car accident last night (rear-ended) and almost immediately (within about 5-10 minutes) had sharp pain go through my lower back. We went to the hospital and the doctor said from what I told him it sounds like I have soft tissue damage and that it will only get worse before it starts to get better.

My question is, other than keeping moving (as suggested by the ER doctor) and eating advil, is there anything else I can do about the pain? I have a pre-existing back problem from a car accident about 15 years ago, and I'm pretty sure getting hit last night made it worse. I'll be going to see my family doctor as soon as I can get an appointment with him (which I'm not even sure I'll be able to since everyone is freaking out about this stupid flu), but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions?

illicitstylz 11-06-2009 02:37 PM

physiotherapy?

i had the same thing and they put me on heat pads and it helped a lot, as well as the routine stretches

Inaii 11-06-2009 03:28 PM

Thanks, I'll bring that up with my doctor when I see him :) Any suggestions for the immediate time? I can't afford physio without a DR referral and it's going to be a while before I can see him (stupid flu shots).

illicitstylz 11-06-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6671392)
Thanks, I'll bring that up with my doctor when I see him :) Any suggestions for the immediate time? I can't afford physio without a DR referral and it's going to be a while before I can see him (stupid flu shots).

hot showers on your back, back stretches routinely

under your insurance you're eligible for 8 visits to physio/chiro and more if the physio/chiro thinks you need more.

Nismo200SX 11-11-2009 06:47 PM

get a lawyer. and look into getting spinal decompression treatments. I'm in the same situation cept the accident was different but I sustained soft tissue damage to my low back. after getting x-rays at the spinal decompression institute in coquitlam they isolated the pain a buldging disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae. It gradually gets worse no matter what you. Its been 15months since my accident and even after the spinal decompression which alleviated about 60-70% of the pain. I can still feel sharp pains to this day. ICBC sent me to Back In Motion in Richmond to do an active rehab program and it did not help all that much other than strengthen some muscles, but the main site of the pain is the actual disc. If only spinal decompression treatments costed less then I would have continued until I could fully resume normal activity. its super expensive but if you've got any disc problems thats the best treatment.

Ducdesmo 11-11-2009 08:12 PM

^ I have a buldging disc as well (according to my chiro) and I am wondering how much it costs for a spinal decompression? Would you know if extended med covers such treatments?

miss_crayon 11-12-2009 09:31 AM

it's funny how we don't really notice pain in our bodies until overtime as i'm for sure the accident i was in years ago are behind most back pain i get nowadays. so i'm sorry to hear about your recent accident. it's going to be a long road to 100% recovery but at least you're okay!

i'd suggest taking warm baths instead of showers (1. you're lying down to relax and not standing up which puts pressure on your back to stay up 2. you're letting your muscles to really soak in the warmth of the water), easy exercises that help relieve tensed up muscles, and to take your time when you get up from sleeping, couch etc etc. you'd be surprised how much force we put on our bodies in every action that we make. so take your time!

Volvoman 11-13-2009 08:25 PM

Stretch and stretch some more. The stronger your tendons and muscles are the less your body will rely on your joint to take the pressure of movement.

!SG 11-14-2009 08:29 AM

any serious soft tissue damage will show its ugly head 2-3weeks after the injury.

so yes, its only going to get worse if u felt pain right after the accident.

see your doctor for a check up, he will send his finding to icbc, go see ur icbc appointment, set up seeing chrio, physio, anything that helps. go see lawyer.

icbc is a business, the less they can pay out, the better for them. protect urself and ur rights with a lawyer. and honestly its easier on icbc as the lawyer knows exactly what they are talking about and require.

Inaii 11-20-2009 11:19 PM

So it's been about 2 weeks since the accident and the pain has just gotten worse and worse. I've been to my doctor since I first posted and all he did was prescribe some anti-inflammatory drugs and tell me to come back and see him in 2 weeks (which is next week). I discovered on Wednesday I can't do something as simple as jog to catch a bus without causing myself A LOT of pain.

When I go back to see him I'll be requesting referrals for Chiro and massage therapy as well. The thing is, I really want to get into rugby next season, and I don't want to miss out on time getting into shape for it. Can anyone think of some easy exercises I could do that wouldn't put a lot of pressure on my body as it's healing? Besides swimming...

TIA guys.