REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Need some hockey tips about left/right hand shooting

I don't have a ton of hockey experience, but ever since I remember picking up a stick, I've always felt comfortable shooting right.

I'm right dominated in everything. And I notice there's tons of right handed people that shoot left.

What I want to know is should I be using different hands for stick control and shooting? I'm still learning basics of hockey, cause I never had any formal training. I use my right hand for power in my wrist shots. I haven't perfected this yet, so I haven't spent too much time in snap and slap shots. Which if I'm correct, the power for harder shots like the slap shot comes from the upper hand (which would be my left), so I don't have much power. And I'm using my right hand as well to control my stick/puck. Is that the proper technique?

But basically, when I play hockey, I'm using my right hand for everything, and my left hand at top is really just there to support the stick...
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Thats really how it goes. The power from slap shots actually comes from full upper body motion and stick flex due to your lower hand on the stick. When you do a slap shot you actually contact the ice just behind the puck and flex the stick into a bow shape with your bottom hand. The stick then "snaps" straight and that combined with the force of your upper body rotation provides the power of the slap shot. A wrist shot is not much different but you just keep the stick on the ice behind the puck. Use the flex of your stick again to generate power.

Your right hand does most of the work but your left hand is crutial in controlling the flex of the stick as well. Oh and remember when shooting, the puck will go where you point your blade so when shooting point to where you want the puck to go with the tip of the blade.

Have fun!!

Berz out.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

U shouldn't be really questioning yourself on which way to shoot....just go with your first instinct. If the first time u ever old a hockey stick at a shop when u go stick shopping and your left arm is on the butt end and ur right is on the shaft...ur a right hander. Vice versa the opposite way.

As for slapshots, power will be driven from the upper body strength.....then the follow through of your shaft arm......then the torque from your stick. So practice whats needed first, which is making sure ur arms find a perfect position. If the shaft arm is too high, u will golf swing with no power....too low, then you won't have proper balance to execute. Find a perfect position for the puck...work on your stance and balance first,....so that means you shouldn't practice doing slapshots by skating up to a shot; do stationary shots.

Thats pretty much the beginners part of it.......Berz was pointing out the flex of the stick. However, in my opinion, using the flex of a stick on a shot or slapshot is a difficult skill, but an awesome skill. After how many years, i have been playing, i still haven't figured out how to use the flex, so i don't use flexy sticks anymore. I'm sure other RS'ers are gonna say its easy to do but hey....you're learning. Get the basic steps down packed, and the rest will come by experience.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Flex of a stick isn't gonna do you any good if you have no technique. Get that down first before buying some mid or high end stick.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Oh and remember when shooting, the puck will go where you point your blade so when shooting point to where you want the puck to go with the tip of the blade.

Thats actually only partially correct. Accurately, on a well executed shot (not released from the heel or toe of the blade), you want to point with the INSIDE OF YOUR BLADE. After a shot is released, there is a tendency to follow through your shot after the impact of a shot and point to where you shoot with the tip of your blade. However, if you point where the inside of your blade, you'll find a lot more accuracy where the follow through will not change the direction of the puck. This pointing technique works with ALL shots...wrist shots, slap shots, as well as passes.

Hey...were u at Burnaby Lake sat night?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I really never understood right handed people shooting left... But I guess whatever feels right to you is best.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that most of these players are European. At least that's what I noticed when looking at hockey cards growing up.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I don't have a ton of hockey experience, but ever since I remember picking up a stick, I've always felt comfortable shooting right.

I'm right dominated in everything. And I notice there's tons of right handed people that shoot left.

What I want to know is should I be using different hands for stick control and shooting? I'm still learning basics of hockey, cause I never had any formal training. I use my right hand for power in my wrist shots. I haven't perfected this yet, so I haven't spent too much time in snap and slap shots. Which if I'm correct, the power for harder shots like the slap shot comes from the upper hand (which would be my left), so I don't have much power. And I'm using my right hand as well to control my stick/puck. Is that the proper technique?

But basically, when I play hockey, I'm using my right hand for everything, and my left hand at top is really just there to support the stick...
a friend of mine told me very briefly that your bottom hand is for shooting/passing and your top hand is for puck handling. although i find that to be false for myself, that may give you some more insight.

i personally just use my left hand/top hand to balance my stick and to poke check that's it. i do move it a little bit while puck handling but not much.

as for proper stick handling technique. i wouldn't worry too much about proper technique in stick handling, as long as you're doing it without looking down you should be okay, then move into dekes and etc.

as for the slapshots, your top hand isn't where your power comes from. just work on your wrist shots and passes for now, they're more important i find. i found with my low flex sticks, that pushing against the ice a little bit before releasing the shot helps with power, i currently use a 67 flex intermediate stick and i'm 5'10" 160-165lbs. i'm finding it way too whippy now, but i'm glad i didn't go stiff right away, because i sorta understand the flex more now.

and for flex. don't worry too much, i started out with a 60~ once you learn how to use the flex/whip then worry about getting a new stick. because you'll probably change your mind a few times about blade patterns too.

hey i'm pretty new too. so i hope this info isn't too far off and is helpful. good luck.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Thats actually only partially correct. Accurately, on a well executed shot (not released from the heel or toe of the blade), you want to point with the INSIDE OF YOUR BLADE. After a shot is released, there is a tendency to follow through your shot after the impact of a shot and point to where you shoot with the tip of your blade. However, if you point where the inside of your blade, you'll find a lot more accuracy where the follow through will not change the direction of the puck. This pointing technique works with ALL shots...wrist shots, slap shots, as well as passes.

Hey...were u at Burnaby Lake sat night?
Yea, I was on the black team. Probably stood out since everyone else is pretty good at the drop ins (for my standards).

Which one were you? (I don't know anyone by name...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeTech View Post
a friend of mine told me very briefly that your bottom hand is for shooting/passing and your top hand is for puck handling. although i find that to be false for myself, that may give you some more insight.

i personally just use my left hand/top hand to balance my stick and to poke check that's it. i do move it a little bit while puck handling but not much.

as for proper stick handling technique. i wouldn't worry too much about proper technique in stick handling, as long as you're doing it without looking down you should be okay, then move into dekes and etc.

as for the slapshots, your top hand isn't where your power comes from. just work on your wrist shots and passes for now, they're more important i find. i found with my low flex sticks, that pushing against the ice a little bit before releasing the shot helps with power, i currently use a 67 flex intermediate stick and i'm 5'10" 160-165lbs. i'm finding it way too whippy now, but i'm glad i didn't go stiff right away, because i sorta understand the flex more now.

and for flex. don't worry too much, i started out with a 60~ once you learn how to use the flex/whip then worry about getting a new stick. because you'll probably change your mind a few times about blade patterns too.

hey i'm pretty new too. so i hope this info isn't too far off and is helpful. good luck.
Where do you find a low flex stick? Most sticks I've seen that are senior sizes don't go down that low. I'm like only 130lbs, I doubt I have the strength to flex those stiffer sticks.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Look for somthing thats like a 65 flex. They're hard to come by, but its your best bet.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Raybot is the geeky looking guy who has the black eye cause he was one punched.

Azn, go onto youtube and do some searches. I posted a bunch of pretty good instructional video's on another post, but I can't access Youtube at work so I can't do anything till I get home tonight.

Also, how tall are you? Maybe you should try an intermediate stick. Since you are only 130 lbs, you will need a lower flex on your stick. Also, keep in mind when you chop a stick, the shorter the stick, the stiffer the flex becomes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Yea, I was on the black team. Probably stood out since everyone else is pretty good at the drop ins (for my standards).

Don't listen to SumAznGuy.....fat people don't know any better.

I was the guy with the grey jersey. I don't go there a lot....only when i am trying to get back into it after an injury. Also wanted to introduce a friend of mine who's just starting to the group as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Do you "snap" your wrists when doing a wrist shot? Basically when you've released your shot, your stick face should be facing downwards. I find that a lot of power from wrist shots come from that.

Youtube videos is a good start.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
I'm Keroppi's Girlfriend!

[QUOTE=AzNightmare;6674753]Yea, I was on the black team. Probably stood out since everyone else is pretty good at the drop ins (for my standards).

Are you Justin ?
Keroleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Don't listen to SumAznGuy.....fat people don't know any better.

I was the guy with the grey jersey. I don't go there a lot....only when i am trying to get back into it after an injury. Also wanted to introduce a friend of mine who's just starting to the group as well.
Oh, the guy taking slapshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Do you "snap" your wrists when doing a wrist shot? Basically when you've released your shot, your stick face should be facing downwards. I find that a lot of power from wrist shots come from that.

Youtube videos is a good start.
Yeah I do a flick at the end. I can do a decent one most of the time stationary... It's trying to do a good while in motion now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Raybot is the geeky looking guy who has the black eye cause he was one punched.

Azn, go onto youtube and do some searches. I posted a bunch of pretty good instructional video's on another post, but I can't access Youtube at work so I can't do anything till I get home tonight.

Also, how tall are you? Maybe you should try an intermediate stick. Since you are only 130 lbs, you will need a lower flex on your stick. Also, keep in mind when you chop a stick, the shorter the stick, the stiffer the flex becomes.
About 5'-7". My sticks are usually around my chin height, so I chop off quite a bit. So my sticks become quite stiff I guess. Perhaps I'll look for some intermediate sticks.

Which youtube videos are you talking about? Did you make instructional videos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroleen View Post
Are you Justin ?
Yup. Where were you? You should have came out to play. Lots of ice time. The zamboni guy never came to kick us out. lol
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #15

I'm not that good.

But do a search on youtube. There are a bunch of good instructional videos from simple wrist shots, snapshots, slapshots, back hand shots, and some of the trick demo's like that 9 year old kid.

Also, do a search for the video's Kovalev made for WArrior sticks. He does one where he shows how he uses the sticks flex to shoot the puck.

Lastly, just practice on the ice as much as you can, saving the slapshot last as that shot is used the least in a game.

I'm around 5'7 but I weigh more than 130 lbs. Try an intermediate stick. They might end up being a tad short for you, in which case you can added a wooden extension onto it to get it to the right height.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh, the guy taking slapshots?

I took a few slapshots.....but i was just trying to hit Wynjohn (the goalie) in the head....needless to say i missed every single shot.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #17

Quote:
I took a few slapshots.....but i was just trying to hit Wynjohn (the goalie) in the head....needless to say i missed every single shot.
Sure you werent trying to aim elsewhere!!!!!????
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #18

Yup. Where were you? You should have came out to play. Lots of ice time. The zamboni guy never came to kick us out. lol[/QUOTE]

hahhaa...toshi's my bitch that's why..i was busy saturday night...ill be playing on the 21st tho....a think there will be at least two more girls from carebears playing that night
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #19

Woo....bring out dem girlies!! Again, no ankle-scrubbers or swamp donkeys.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

is this the drop-in session you guys are talking about at 8 rinks or burnaby lake?
daggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggon View Post
is this the drop-in session you guys are talking about at 8 rinks or burnaby lake?
burnaby Lake from sept-March and then 8rinks from May-August
for more info email kbi.hockey@gmail.com
newbie-beginner skill level
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Woo....bring out dem girlies!! Again, no ankle-scrubbers or swamp donkeys.
What he said.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)?

How many of you guys/girls from the Saturday dropins are on RS? Just curious...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I really never understood right handed people shooting left... But I guess whatever feels right to you is best.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that most of these players are European. At least that's what I noticed when looking at hockey cards growing up.

I remember a SI article from a few years back, apparently 70% of Canadian hockey players shoot left, and 70% of US hockey players shoot right.

Reason being most people are right handed naturally. When you are playing hockey at a young age for things like stick handling, skating, you are usually only holding the stick with one hand on top, so, the right hand, and therefore you shoot left. I can't imagine being right handed and trying to stickhandle with my left hand on top. For US hockey players, usually hockey is not the first sport, baseball is. So they learn to bat right, then when they try hockey, they've already established that preference. Not sure how true that study was, but it makes at least some sense to me.

For me I am right handed and shoot left. I started off shooting right when I was young, then played goalie for a good few years catching with my left hand so I can hold the stick in my right, and then that became my natural shooting side. I bat and swing right though, I cannot do those left sided for the life of me. Funny how that works.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #25
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I remember a SI article from a few years back, apparently 70% of Canadian hockey players shoot left, and 70% of US hockey players shoot right.

Reason being most people are right handed naturally. When you are playing hockey at a young age for things like stick handling, skating, you are usually only holding the stick with one hand on top, so, the right hand, and therefore you shoot left. I can't imagine being right handed and trying to stickhandle with my left hand on top. For US hockey players, usually hockey is not the first sport, baseball is. So they learn to bat right, then when they try hockey, they've already established that preference. Not sure how true that study was, but it makes at least some sense to me.

For me I am right handed and shoot left. I started off shooting right when I was young, then played goalie for a good few years catching with my left hand so I can hold the stick in my right, and then that became my natural shooting side. I bat and swing right though, I cannot do those left sided for the life of me. Funny how that works.
It is strange... Because if I wanted good stick control, I would use my lower hand (right) to control it. Naturally, holding a stick lower would give it more control... I find it hard to use the top hand to control puck handling.

The only exception is when I'm going for poke checks, being a right shooter myself, I would have to poke with only my left hand on the stick... I would poke check a lot better if it was my right hand on top, but that's a small sacrifice for me, since all my shots are better if my right hand is on the lower end.

But yeah, it is strange how this all works. I cannot come up with a logical explaination for this.