REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
BMW tire pressure systems

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am still new to the BMW world:

It's a 2007 E90 with the low tire pressure monitoring system. If we swap our OEM wheels/tires for winter steelies and winter tires (non-runflats), is there anything we need to do with respect to the TMPS? How does that work?

Thanks
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

nope, if your car is a canadian car, it doesn't have TPMS,
canadian cars uses ABS sensors, nothing to worry about.

if your steelies have the same rolling diameter, you will be fine, if not, just do a reset on the obc
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

If you change wheels, just reset the TPMS system. It detects differences in wheel speed to determine if one wheel has lower pressure than the others.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

you're saying there is no TPMS monitor built into the tire or anything? We swapped to winter tires/wheels and told that the TPMS doesnt work anymore and that we would need to add the sensor for a charge. BMW 335 xi coupe 2008
We did not add it and figured whatever - will check pressures manually once in awhile

? im confused?
Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I thought ALL new cars have TPMS?

You might have to just reset the TMPS when you get the tires mounted. In any case, call the dealer to find out. Most people on this forum (myself included) don't even have BMWs.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Most new cars have TPMS.. if you don't want the sensors, the light just stays on. The sensors are at the valve stems.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

seems to be some confusion here, let me explain the best i could,
i have a e90 canadian and had done tire/wheel changes.

BMW calls a silver valve stem thing on the oem wheels TPMS, while BMW Canada calls the on board computer + ABS tire pressuring monitoring system TMPS, which is why its a little confusing.

US Cars- have TPMS, it is a silver stud thing on the valve stem, this silver stud thing measures tire pressure. here is a picture, and CANADIAN SPEC E90's don't have this.

for US Spec E90's if you want to change rims/tires, you will have to buy new TPMS studs from the wheelshop or just use the existing OEM TPMS.

Canadian Spec E90's don't have this TPMS on the valve stem, they are just normal standard black color valve stems. Canadian spec E90's using an ABS monitoring system to check for low pressure.

So if you are to change tires/wheels, all you need to buy are wheels + tires, no individual silver TPMS, but make sure the rolling diameters of the wheel+tire is the same or it will throw errors. The E90's OBC on board computer calls this ABS monitoring system low pressure tire monitor system, "TMPS" or something like that, which could be confusing.

So OP, go ahead and change your oem wheels to steelies, make sure the rolling diameter is the same as oem. if the obc computer throws errors, reset the pressure monitoring system on the computer and let it adapt the new diameter as the standard. and you are good to go.
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
If what has been said is true you should be good to go,
if you encounter further problems theres always tire pressure gauge + black tape to fix the problem
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
like what sexy accord said, depends where ur bmw was from. if it was imported from the states, look at the valve stem with the cap off. the stem closes to the wheel should look like it has hex sides as if u can put a hex socket over it. if so, and its silver, then its a tpms sensor.

if u dont see it, then the beamer doesnt use the tpms sensor system, but a rolling diameter measure system (yeah computers can do that). in which it means u just gotta make sure ur new wheels overal diameter is same or very similar to ur original size (which means dont go over size, and make sure ur running the right size rubber to the right size wheel

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
It's a Canadian car.

Thanks guys for the help. Appreciated.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Hey Eff-1, sign up on www.e90post.com, it's revscene but for bimmer owners!
Revive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I was reading a topic about this on the CDN section of e90post a few days ago. I was wondering the same thing because I wanted to swap the wheels and tires on my e92 in spring.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

The TPMS on BMW's measures changes in wheel rotation speed. So I would assume that when you reset your TPMS you're essentially resetting the baseline numbers for those wheels as well. If the tire pressure deviates from when you reset the system (I think by 2-3%), the rotation speed of the wheel has changed and thus will trigger the TPMS light to go on.