REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Seel, that is my very definition of "interrupting the flow".

No cars either behind you or oncoming = OK to turn
Cars behind or oncoming = NOTOK to turn.

Pretty simple.
Maybe TOO simple.

If there's cars behind you, but none oncoming, do you turn then?

What if there's oncoming, but nothing behind you?

What if there's oncoming, but nothing behind you, so you stop to wait for oncoming to clear... but while you're waiting, a car DOES come up behind you? What would you do - continue to wait, or call off the turn on continue on straight? Somehow, I don't get the impression you'd give up on the turn you're already waiting on...

Quote:
As drivers we have to make decisions several times a minute. Why can't I decide to make the turn if there are no cars around?
If there are no cars around, why would you let a little thing like a no-left-turn sign stop you?

Quote:
Maybe all of our cars need to be operated centrally by some MOT computer or something, take all the control away from drivers
We already have that, it's called SkyTrain. If you can't follow traffic laws, perhaps that should be your mode of transport.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
What if there's oncoming, but nothing behind you, so you stop to wait for oncoming to clear... but while you're waiting, a car DOES come up behind you? What would you do - continue to wait, or call off the turn on continue on straight? Somehow, I don't get the impression you'd give up on the turn you're already waiting on...
Yes, I woulkd likely abort the turn if there were cars approaching from behind and couldn't change lanes in time. In fact, if the sign was worded to allow the turn only when not impeding traffic flow, I would be legally required to abort the turn.

Come to think of it, I have aborted LEGAL turns in the past for this reason if I know I can make the turn later and have less of an inpact on cars behind me. I would rate myself as a courteous driver, but not to the point of giving someone else the right of way if it's not their's to take.

Quote:
If there are no cars around, why would you let a little thing like a no-left-turn sign stop you?
I have never made a left turn when such a sign prohibits the turn, but I have seen many oppertunities that I could have made the turn without interrupting the flow of traffic, hence the creation of this thread Last thing I want is a conviction like this on my record.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Maybe all of our cars need to be operated centrally by some MOT computer or something, take all the control away from drivers
Don't be a drama queen cause you're losing the debate.

There's a real world example of a person who could not follow a cut-and-dry rule - don't drive like an ass with a police officer behind you.

Now apply the same to your rule - you'll have people saying "well its only one car behind me, and its not a cop...".
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I agree, yet think its worse.

When do you give up turning left? When you see a car, or after its stopped behind you? If the car stops behind you, then traffic is impeded, especially in rush hour since this car is usually the first of many others that were waiting at the previous intersection. Now the left lane slows, more people cut out dangerously into the right lane, ...
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Yes, I woulkd likely abort the turn if there were cars approaching from behind and couldn't change lanes in time. In fact, if the sign was worded to allow the turn only when not impeding traffic flow, I would be legally required to abort the turn.

Come to think of it, I have aborted LEGAL turns in the past for this reason if I know I can make the turn later and have less of an inpact on cars behind me. I would rate myself as a courteous driver, but not to the point of giving someone else the right of way if it's not their's to take.
I applaud your courtesy but the fact of the matter is you're in the extreme minority. Everyone is out for themselves and you can believe if they "can" make that left turn at that intersection, they will -- everyone else be damned.

Judgement calls about "impeding the traffic flow" don't generally work, and they would create another item that would require closer enforcement.

Quote:
I have never made a left turn when such a sign prohibits the turn, but I have seen many oppertunities that I could have made the turn without interrupting the flow of traffic
I have seen on several occasions a sign-prohibited turn made because it could be done without impeding traffic flow. I think this is preferable to people using "judgement" as to if they're "impeding traffic flow" because I have little faith it drivers being able to judge if they're really blocking traffic (witness slow drivers in the left lane).
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
I applaud your courtesy but the fact of the matter is you're in the extreme minority. Everyone is out for themselves and you can believe if they "can" make that left turn at that intersection, they will -- everyone else be damned.
Failure of the education and licencing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
Judgement calls about "impeding the traffic flow" don't generally work, and they would create another item that would require closer enforcement.
I don't see how. It's no different than an officer watching for people making the turn during restricted hours. He just watches for drivers making the turn while impeding traffic.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
I don't see how. It's no different than an officer watching for people making the turn during restricted hours. He just watches for drivers making the turn while impeding traffic.
Except it's still extremely subjective - expect the courts to be flooded with guys disputing tickets because THEY didn't think they were impeding anyone where the cop thought they were. "No left turn between these hours" is pretty black-and-white (allowing a few minutes either side for inaccurate clocks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote