REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   I am so stupid (https://www.revscene.net/forums/596340-i-am-so-stupid.html)

ImportPsycho 11-15-2009 12:50 PM

I am so stupid

I got pulled over for broken break light, which is fine
when he was asking for my address, I mentioned that I've recently moved so the address on the DL not the current address
He comes back with $109 for break lights, and another $109 for not changing my address in time :eek:
Had I known that there was 10 days time limit, I wouldn't even have said I moved since there is no way for him to know where I live right now....:banghead:
I moved on nov 1st and my DL expired on 5th, just recieved new DL in mail and didn't have chance to change it....

:thumbsup: to that richmond officer for finding every excuse in the book to fine me

JHatta 11-15-2009 01:09 PM

i'll tell him for you.

van_driver 11-15-2009 01:31 PM

was he an asian guy?

Gnomes 11-15-2009 03:48 PM

The city of Richmond thank you for your payments.

But wow, to give you the 2nd ticket is cruel and prick-like of him.

tiger_handheld 11-15-2009 05:29 PM

Honesty -- Its NOT the best policy.

wing_woo 11-15-2009 06:04 PM

I'm glad you got a ticket for broken brake lights, but that's mean of him to give you the second ticket.

jlenko 11-15-2009 10:32 PM

Finally, someone gets nailed for brake lights... now, about the other 10,000 cars I see on a daily basis with a light out??

skidmark 11-16-2009 06:41 AM

https://www.addresschange.gov.bc.ca/

Soundy 11-16-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6685301)
Finally, someone gets nailed for brake lights... now, about the other 10,000 cars I see on a daily basis with a light out??

"But my second cousin's sister's ex-boyfriend's great-grandfather drove around for 50 years with a broken tail light and never got pulled over!"

sebberry 11-16-2009 09:01 AM

I bet if there was a poll, 90+% of British Columbians wouldn't know about the 10 day limit.

CRS 11-16-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6685742)
I bet if there was a poll, 90+% of British Columbians wouldn't know about the 10 day limit.

That simply isn't a fair statement.

That is like asking, well, do you know how many laws you have to obey by simply being a citizen? By doing your daily routine, how many laws do you face?

sebberry 11-16-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6685760)
That simply isn't a fair statement.

That is like asking, well, do you know how many laws you have to obey by simply being a citizen? By doing your daily routine, how many laws do you face?

I have no clue. But I bet the vast majority of the "unknown" laws are ones that we unknowingly obey simply through the course of being citizens of good character with reasonable moral standards.

A ticket for failing to update a driver's licence address within 10 days is, IMO, extreme, even if a law was broken. Someone let their bad day get the better of them at that traffic stop, either the OP or the officer.

underscore 11-16-2009 11:30 AM

I got busted on that one but got let off, the way the officer explained it to me was if you were injured in an accident and sent to the hospital, the officers will go to the address listed on your license. If that address is wrong, then they don't know who to contact to tell them you're in the hospital. Until that point though, I had never even thought about it. You have to go to ICBC to get a sticker for the back with your new address until your license is renewed (I think)

ImportPsycho 11-16-2009 12:19 PM

yea, i was young asian male officer
he must've woke up on wrong side of bed
he gave me a VI as well, so I have to get signed by other officer after I change bulbs
I deserved tail light ticket
sadly, can't say same thing about address change... not at least if it's really worthy of $109

so I was on my way to NCIX opening, not only did I not get any good deals, I out like $160

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6685620)

thank you so much, I thought I had to line up at DL office

sho_bc 11-16-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 6686008)
thank you so much, I thought I had to line up at DL office

You do if its one of the new enhanced DL, if I'm reading the website properly.

Jsunu 11-16-2009 02:47 PM

Haha knew a dude who got pulled over for a busted tail-light, was not a proper Canadian citizen.. got deported bawahahah

Soundy 11-16-2009 03:10 PM

And yet drug dealers and gangsters and killer street racers don't get deported, or get dozens of appeals keeping them here indefinitely...

sebberry 11-16-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6686276)
And yet drug dealers and gangsters and killer street racers don't get deported, or get dozens of appeals keeping them here indefinitely...

Who ever said the enforcement system was fair?

Gnomes 11-16-2009 04:21 PM

You should definitely dispute the 2nd ticket

skidmark 11-16-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6685699)
"But my second cousin's sister's ex-boyfriend's great-grandfather drove around for 50 years with a broken tail light and never got pulled over!"

Are you sure you never spent time in law enforcement?

Soundy 11-16-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6686580)
Are you sure you never spent time in law enforcement?

Does being handcuffed in the back of a cruiser count? :haha: Just kidding, I've never been arrested :)

Nope... just spent too much time on RS. I dunno how often you get outside of this Police Forum, but in the other automotive sections, questions about things like HIDs and blacked-out from windows regularly get warnings about these things increasing your chances of getting VId, followed by numerous statements of how "I or some friend or relative have been rolling with that for years and never had a problem."

zulutango 11-17-2009 05:15 AM

I love reading about people who want a "break" fro being stopped for non-functioning "break lights"...how about a "brake" in the ticket writing process? Sorry, couldn't resist. "Brakes" are what stop your car and brake lights" show that you are stopping. "Breaks" are what you want from the Cops when you get stopped for not having "brake" lights. Class dismissed. :)

CA_FTW 11-17-2009 06:04 AM

While i understand the reason behind updating your lience, i move every 6 months/1 year.. so i never change my address.. its been my parents house for the last 6 years, and i have moved 8 times.. theres no point in me changing it..

If th cops show up at my parents house because im injured.. i think my parents will be able to help me out..

:-)

zulutango 11-17-2009 06:40 AM

Do you get your mail at your parents house, do you have electrical, cable, cell phone, credit card, bank statement etc bills? Where do you get them?

underscore 11-17-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6687285)
I love reading about people who want a "break" fro being stopped for non-functioning "break lights"...how about a "brake" in the ticket writing process? Sorry, couldn't resist. "Brakes" are what stop your car and brake lights" show that you are stopping. "Breaks" are what you want from the Cops when you get stopped for not having "brake" lights. Class dismissed. :)

Yet when you tell people at a light or in the car wash lineup that one of their lights is out, most of the time they get annoyed. Then again people get annoyed when I try to tell them they don't have any of their lights on. Must be the car.