REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #51
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I understand the whole "follow the laws of the land where you go" concept such as drinking ages, drug posession, etc... but this is a law regarding equipment which is fixed in place, not an action like speeding or turning right on a red.

If front side tint is legal where the car is registered and where the owner resides and is legal under the federal motor vehicle safety standards, then I don't see what leg the province of BC has to stand on.

EXACTLY!.. cmon thats a no brainer right there. You cannot compare actions to a modification on a vehicle. Whoever thinks that Its ok for a province to give you a ticket for tint, want you to remove your tint, and re-apply it when you arrive back in your own province is plain dumb.

btw: I JUST moved back last month, and legally I have 90 days to register my car in BC, which is why im still on the Alberta plates. Since my registration and insurance runs out next month, I figure ill just ride it out and save some money.

Thing I hate is how many other cars I see with tinted front windows, many of them MUCH darker than mine. But thier cars are stock.. just because my car is modified, it tends to stand out, and I get hit with a ticket for tint. annoying.
Advertisement
PrjctDC2-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #52
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Hey, still better than what happened to me. The officer gave me a ticket for having front window tint when I didn't. He didn't know that all cars come with a slight tinge of green on all the windows which is legal. I should have just asked him to inspect his own police cruiser but thought better of it. Everything worked out in the end, but it was just a hassle.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #53
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Is there a certain window tint % that is legal on the front/sides, or is ANY tint there illegal? Like the new Benz's with the light blue tint all-round? What if an old car randomly came with dark tint all-round from the factory, is this legal?
frojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe View Post
Is there a certain window tint % that is legal on the front/sides, or is ANY tint there illegal? Like the new Benz's with the light blue tint all-round? What if an old car randomly came with dark tint all-round from the factory, is this legal?
its SUPPOSED to be illegal. but really, if some copy pulled you over for your factory tint and wanted you to have it removed, id tell him to go F himself. he would just be going out of his way to be a prick at that point imo.

I guess car manufacters realize that a law against ANY tint at all is ridiculas, too bad certain provinces can't understand it. *frustrated*
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Blue glass is not tint.

This is not difficult, kids. No film of any kind on your front windows. End of story. That's the law. Quit bitching about it and follow it.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #56
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrjctDC2-R View Post
its SUPPOSED to be illegal. but really, if some copy pulled you over for your factory tint and wanted you to have it removed, id tell him to go F himself. he would just be going out of his way to be a prick at that point imo.

I guess car manufacters realize that a law against ANY tint at all is ridiculas, too bad certain provinces can't understand it. *frustrated*
If you look at the markings on the front side window, you should see "AS2" which among other things requires the window to pass no less than 70% of the light through.

I'm not sure why some provinces have this ridiculous belief that tint film is bad yet the federal government doesn't seem to mind it.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #57
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The factory tinted windows do not use window film. The 70% light through front tint allowance is only if the glass itself is smoked/tinted. If it is a film, then it is not allowed even if it was just a clear film.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #58
I subscribe to Revscene

I know it's not a film.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #59

either way, the laws need to be updated, not everyone can afford to go out and purchase a new car with factory tint.

so anyways, with that, I finished watching History Channels The Universe season 3.. so i went back and started watching season 1 again.. Season 1, ep 1 about the sun, there was something quite interesting that I didnt know... there are 3 types of UV rays, UV-A , UV-B, and UV-C..

UV-C rays are blocked out by our ozone layer, but UV-A and B rays still shine thru.. UV-B is what causes you to tan, and sunblock can help with that.. but what sun block DOESNT do is block out UV-A rays, which is the leading cause of skin cancer.

BUT!... good window tint can block out almost ALL of UV-A and B rays..

so with that...do you want to follow some BS law even tho it might increase your risk of cancer? If that isnt a clear argument to have the laws changed to something reasonable then I dont know what is..

and to the guy who says to quit bitching about the laws, and follow it.. I feel sorry for you for not questioning things

Edit, intresting quick read.. I will be researching this more :http://www.tintcenter.com/blog/2009/...d-window-film/
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #60
I subscribe to Revscene

Careful now, you're really going to upset a certain someone around here if you bring up the "tint can protect against skin cancer" arguement.

See, the difference between humans and sheep is that sheep have a protective wooly coat to shade them from the sun. Humans do not, yet we are expected to act like sheep.

The problem with the current tint law is that people still drive around with 20-50% VLT tint on their front side windows. This makes the driver impossible to see. If a 70%VLT tint law was strictly enforced, the driver could be clearly seen yet still receive the benefits of the tint.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #61
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

My only issue is when people try to justify the law using sketchy research or say that the rule is there for a reason entirely unrelated. Just call a spade a spade and say that the law is primarily there so that police can see what is going on inside a vehicle and identify the driver
j0hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Careful now, you're really going to upset a certain someone around here if you bring up the "tint can protect against skin cancer" arguement.

See, the difference between humans and sheep is that sheep have a protective wooly coat to shade them from the sun. Humans do not, yet we are expected to act like sheep.

The problem with the current tint law is that people still drive around with 20-50% VLT tint on their front side windows. This makes the driver impossible to see. If a 70%VLT tint law was strictly enforced, the driver could be clearly seen yet still receive the benefits of the tint.
LOL I cant stand sheep.

anyways, Im not gonna lie, I would love to keep my 30%, I can see clearly day or night. BUT if they implemented a law that allowed 70%, I would be happy with it.. compromise right?.. I just wish police would stop using that must see inside vehicle excuse, they damn well know there could be someone behind some 5% tint in the backseat with a 12ga, and they wouldnt know it. If they suspect something while pulling over a car with dark tint, is it not possible to ask them to lower the windows before they approach the vehicle.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #63

Quote:
I feel sorry for you for not questioning things
Don't feel sorry for me... feel sorry for yourself for dreaming an impossible dream.

Good luck on ever changing the tint laws in BC. There are much more important things in life... you'll realize that one day when you grow up
Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Don't feel sorry for me... feel sorry for yourself for dreaming an impossible dream.

Good luck on ever changing the tint laws in BC. There are much more important things in life... you'll realize that one day when you grow up
You think changing a traffic law is impossible? It may be incredibly difficult , but probably its far from my list of impossiblities. Now, Immortality, Flying by way of thought, Breathing in space, or accepting things without question... Now THATS IMPOSSIBLE for me.

Cars are my life, its my business.... and on a side note i cant think of anything more important in life than your your personal health.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #65

Quote:
You think changing a traffic law is impossible? It may be incredibly difficult , but probably its far from my list of impossiblities. Now, Immortality, Flying by way of thought, Breathing in space, or accepting things without question... Now THATS IMPOSSIBLE for me.

Cars are my life, its my business.... and on a side note i cant think of anything more important in life than your your personal health.
Not any traffic law... just that one.

With crime always on the go.. you think the justice system (as crappy as it may be) is going to allow front window tint? With all the gang activity going on? Yeah.. that's likely.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #66
B&S Sexy mod

Do you wear sunscreen every time you go out? How many people do you know that do?

They have much bigger fish to fry (more important laws to work on) than changing a traffic law where they cant control the safety standards (of tint film), make it more difficult to drive at night and make eye contact with other users of the road, potentially cause safety issues for officers, all for a few people who are afraid of the sun.
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #67

Where'd the "thanks!" button go? ^ Kudos stevo911.

You could always wear a visor like those C-lai's... maybe a face mask too, if you want to conceal your identity behind tinted windows
Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #68
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
^ Theres no Thanks/Fail buttons in the police forum.

But yes, kudos stevo.

Everytime I see a C-Lai with a sun visor it makes me laugh. Kind of reminds me of a robot.

To the guy talking about Uv-Rays:
Who gives a flying fuck? Did you know that everytime you eat McDonalds you risk getting a heart attack? Did you know that smoking causes cancer? Did you know that liquor harms your liver? Did you know that Coke/Pepsi isn't good for you? Did you know that everytime you drive on the road you risk getting killed in a car accident?

A lot of things aren't preventable, and a lot of things aren't good for us either. But why try so hard to limit yourself to stuff, and wind up dead just like everybody else at the end?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #69
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Where'd the "thanks!" button go? ^ Kudos stevo911.

You could always wear a visor like those C-lai's... maybe a face mask too, if you want to conceal your identity behind tinted windows
I thought those visors are illegal as well. They cover a majority of the face of the driver. The cops won't be able to identify the driver even if the car is not tinted.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #70

Yeah, show me that part of the MVA...
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #71
I subscribe to Revscene

Rear tint is just as big of a safety risk to officers.

Front side tint isn't about hiding yourself from view, but apparantly everyone here immediately assumes 70% VLT on the fronts = blackout.