REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Tegra_Devil's 91 Hilux Surf Expedition Build Thread

So i figured i'd start a build thread for my slowly changing wanna-be expedition 4x4.

Specs:

1991 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Widebody
2.4L Turbo Diesel Engine W/ a 3L Head upgrade

This is my first real upgrade to my truck minus Alarm/Audio.

a few days back i got Budget B&M to throw on a new supposedly OEM replacement exhaust system. Turns out this is the crap they put on:

So, got it taken off and put on a new Turboback Aero Exhaust System i got fab'd up and installed at ATEB in burnaby. $850 later this is what i had

Details: 3" Downpipe off turbo, 3" Exhaust tappering down to 2.5"

next, lift and some new rubber...possible new years treat for myself
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

when SAS?

how tucked up is that exhuast? im on my 3rd system from ripping it off going over stuff, so i jsut get the cheapest clamp on junk i can find
you could do a skid of some sort if it hangs lower than anything else
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
when SAS?

how tucked up is that exhuast? im on my 3rd system from ripping it off going over stuff, so i jsut get the cheapest clamp on junk i can find
you could do a skid of some sort if it hangs lower than anything else
was planning on getting some armour under there to protect it. along with otherthings in the undercarriage

will not be sporting SAS...a mild lift....most expedition guys dont sport huge lifts....just winches haha
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_devil View Post
was planning on getting some armour under there to protect it. along with otherthings in the undercarriage

will not be sporting SAS...a mild lift....most expedition guys dont sport huge lifts....just winches haha

SAS isnt about lift, its about flex and durability
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
GO FLAMES GO

ya, no sas for me...most expedition vehicles dont run SAS...sas is for rock crawlers
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust it looks pretty tucked up, you will tear off those running boards before that exhaust.
The Toyota T bar IFS is strong and reliable as fuck, IMHO for the type of offroading you do and what you use the truck for I wouldn't SAS it, thats a very expensive road to start traveling down full of gears, lockers, shock loops, custom fabbing, longfields, and a maxed out line of credit.
Your money would be better spent on Armour, front and rear tube bumpers would look killer, with a set of rock sliders cause those running boards have to go.

Lets get this lift going and see some pics of it on 33"s

00 em1 - I/H/E, act hdss, koni coilover's, 17' konig helium's ... DD
97 ek - b16 swaped sleeper ... parted RIP
90 ef - I/E, rota slips, 140db stereo ... sold & missed
91 ef - sold
00EM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
GO FLAMES GO

install coming soon! i decided against the general grabbers, looking into goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in 33x12.5 instead ...plus they are cheaper!

ya my exhaust is tucked up high...i have a better chance catching my fuel tank than catching my exhaust....and even the tip in the rear exits at the perfect point so that when my rear tire comes off something high, i wont knick my exhaust on the object

im kinda depressed about taking off the running boards, they are sooooo new and nice...but i know ill end up damaging them if i dont...i think im just going to get bolt on rock sliders w/ supports, instead of weld on, so i can inter change my sliders and running boards.

im going to rock so much armour front-under-and back that im gonna end up getting HD coils in the rear + a 1" or 2" coil spacer for sure, plus im gonna custom fit a nice long-range aux fuel tank where the rear tire used to be, and upsize my main tank...should be able to sport enough diesel to run 2000+km's says the aussie owners.

questions...is it legal to run gravity fed aux tanks, or must the aux tank have a pump built in with it...the guys in aussieland say its illegal to run gravity feed to refill the main, but people in the states say it is legal in most states, but im not sure about canada.
Club-Integra.net OG

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 12-09-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

IMHO who cares if it's legal or not, run the gravity feed its simple and it works

its only illegal if you get caught and I don't think I have ever met a cop knowledgeable enough or care enough to look under your truck to and make sure your aux tank is not gravity fed.

00 em1 - I/H/E, act hdss, koni coilover's, 17' konig helium's ... DD
97 ek - b16 swaped sleeper ... parted RIP
90 ef - I/E, rota slips, 140db stereo ... sold & missed
91 ef - sold
00EM1 is offline   Reply With Quote