REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
they should need permission from the home owner...not his friends..
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Typically if 10 officers are there to break up a party, they don't have time to try and sort through a bunch of drunks to get one to get the homeowner to come to the door. Any adult will do.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #28
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
they should need permission from the home owner...not his friends..
How many times have you been at a buddy's houseparty and he says "yo man, can you grab the door?". If you can give permission to guests...
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

If that was the actual situation, how did anyone get so upset that they called the Police ?

You've never had an a*shole nosy neighbor? One that will find any reason to complain about absolutely anything?

It wouldn't be unrealistic to think that this neighbor gave the police misinformation, or perhaps embellished the rowdyness of the party just a little bit...

"Damn young punks!" etc... etc...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Must have a pretty good actor to convince the Police to show up with the gang task force? Yes I have had neighbours from hell...both types...the whiners and complainers...and the noisy ones. Just got rid of a house full of the last ones who lived 3 houses down from me. The entire neighbourhood called in every time they started up anything....dealing drugs out of there, hookers and runaways there and cars & people coming and going all the time. We just had it with them and called in every single thing. The un cooperative owner/landlord was finally forced by the city to evict them and quiet has returned.

I am not suggesting that this was the situation here, just that people should expect to have to tolerate a bit of nornmal reasonable noise when homes are close together. They should also expect that considerate neighbours will keep that noise and disruption as small as possible. The OP said that they had not done this at the start at least and that is why the Cops attended.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
You've never had an a*shole nosy neighbor? One that will find any reason to complain about absolutely anything?

It wouldn't be unrealistic to think that this neighbor gave the police misinformation, or perhaps embellished the rowdyness of the party just a little bit...

"Damn young punks!" etc... etc...

The neighbors have never liked us since we moved in in the spring. I have a feeling they think we're drug dealers or something. Two work trucks, one new STI, one Gts-t, one very noisy GTR, my FD RX7 coming and going along with a bunch of other Skylines in and out. Not to mention us always on different BMW or Yamaha motorcycles every weekend in the summer (we both work at a M/C dealer). If I was a neighbor I would think we're dealers or up to no good as well with all the toys living in a 3/4 million $ house.

We haven't purposely pissed them off, but they don't like us. The hate when we have the garage open working on cars and listening to music, using air tools etc. (note: during the day, only hand tools at night).

The direct neighbors to the left absolutely hate us and have said it to our face multiple times. I guess they don't like a few 20 something year olds living in a nice neighborhood like that.

And not to mention our house got egged that night. With BROWN eggs. If it was kids, they go for the cheap stuff. My guess is someone who lives near us egged the house with what was handy and in the fridge at the time.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #32
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
And not to mention our house got egged that night. With BROWN eggs.
Now thats racism there.. Brown Eggs at White guys..

I thought we moved to Canada to be free of this tension.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
Now thats racism there.. Brown Eggs at White guys..

I thought we moved to Canada to be free of this tension.
i'd double fail you if i could..

one for brown eggs being more expensive (read the rest of the sentence) and another one for bringing race into this
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #34

Last Summer (2008)I had a huge house party. Backyard BBQ and about 40-50 guest in the backyard or in the house. We weren't screaming at each other and "yelling, chug chug chug", at guys beer bongin but VPD eventually showed up, walked through the outside of the house to the back. There were just LOTS of us standing around chit chatting away. This was around 1:30am. Just two of them, and they said they were getting noise complaints and asked us if we could move the party inside. We said, sure no problem, and offered them some food we still had on the BBQ. They gladly left. They treated us with respect and we did the same in return!

That was last year, but in my opinion, I think a lot of "Peace Officers" are losing their patience nowadays. I can see this situation being handled differently if it was this year.

Last edited by dohboi; 12-03-2009 at 02:59 PM.
dohboi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #35

Keep in mind this was in Surrey. Although it was in Panorama Ridge... I guess Surrey cops don't have a lot of patience, which having lived here for 21 years I can understand.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"Past experience also tells me that intoxicated youth often change their minds about sleeping in the back seat after the police depart the scene. So, the 24 hour prohibition is an attempt to prevent this"

If you are impaired enough to sleep it off, and then decide to drive...how can you tell when you are legally no longer impaired? Do you have an ASD or Datamaster at your disposal? I have charged people for impaired who stopped drinking 12 hours earlier, early in the morning, and were driving in the afternoon...still legally impaired. Just because somebody "thinks" the are sober, doesn't make it so...,that's why they call it "impairment". Stay away from any vehicles except a taxi or one with a truely sober driver. Don't do that, and you could find your choice has given you a lifetime of grief.

Can you really say that every one of your friends who chose to have care and control while impaired would never have tried to drive until they were 100% sober? They didn't know and neither do you.
Again, what is the precice decision of "care and control" and how far does it reach? Any motor vehicle that is registered is technically under the care and control of someone.

We have already established that "care and control" does not always mean driving and for the purposes of 24 hour suspensions, care and control can simply mean having access to the car.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #37
RS Peace Officer

Being that I wasn't there it is hard to comment on exactly what happened, but I will give it my best shot.

There is no specific reason that the gang task force could come, it could be any number of things. They might have been in the area and all of the other Surrey cars could have been tied up. Have you ever had problems with the police before? Have you ever been checked with any shady people? Any idea who lived in the house before you?

I don't know about the noise at the time they showed up. When I show up at a "noisy party" complaint and there is no noise, I don't even bother knocking on the door and I don't know any other cops that would. There is no point trying to fix something that isn't broken and we are busy enough as it is. So I would assume they probably still heard some noise coming from your house.

As far as them coming into your house, again I wasn't there so I can't say for sure. I can't even count the number of times I have gone to house parties and knocked on the door or rang on the doorbell and there is no answer because they can't hear the knock or the bell. As the police we can't just say "oh well we tried" and leave. I will generally try the door handle to the house or go around back.

Once I am inside, what I do depends on how the people are inside. Generally it is a warning that we got a noise complaint, what can you guys do to help out the neighbors? The majority of people are willing to work with us and that is the end of it. If the party is way out of control or the people are not willing to work with us then what we do may escalate. The police aren't out to there to ruin people's nights, our best outcome at a noisy party is that the party quiets down with only having to ask.

And finally, the 24 hour driving suspensions for people sleeping in cars. I know I personally wouldn't want to have it on my conscience that I left a drunk person in a car with keys and they ended up driving and killing somebody.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
And finally, the 24 hour driving suspensions for people sleeping in cars. I know I personally wouldn't want to have it on my conscience that I left a drunk person in a car with keys and they ended up driving and killing somebody.
Would you feel the same way if you left someone to sleep it off at a friend's house and they woke up and left too soon, drove and killed someone?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #39
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I was at this party.. It wasn't really goon.
Avdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Keep in mind this was in Surrey. Although it was in Panorama Ridge... I guess Surrey cops don't have a lot of patience, which having lived here for 21 years I can understand.
My guess is the gang task force had left Mirage. They are there pretty much every Saturday between 12:30 and 1:00.

I do think it is bs that they kicked everyone out and then gave 24 hours to the people that planned on sleeping at the house.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
How many times have you been at a buddy's houseparty and he says "yo man, can you grab the door?". If you can give permission to guests...
Posted via RS Mobile
The question is. Lets just say the gang task force ended up finding something in the house and the OP got arrested.
If this went to court I am pretty sure his lawyer would be able to get it thrown out because it wasnt the home owner that let them in.

I highly doubt when someone answered the door the cops said "are you the home owner?" and whoever answered the door said "yes"..
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #42

^ wouldn't they be more likely to go with the angle that since so many people were there, it's very difficult to prove it belonged to the owner?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ wouldn't they be more likely to go with the angle that since so many people were there, it's very difficult to prove it belonged to the owner?
The problem with that is if they some how do prove it is the owners then he is screwed. With what I said the evidence would have to be thrown out and there would be no case at all.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
Being that I wasn't there it is hard to comment on exactly what happened, but I will give it my best shot.

There is no specific reason that the gang task force could come, it could be any number of things. They might have been in the area and all of the other Surrey cars could have been tied up. Have you ever had problems with the police before? Have you ever been checked with any shady people? Any idea who lived in the house before you?

No problems before. Everyone who lived in it before was legit. They were family.

I don't know about the noise at the time they showed up. When I show up at a "noisy party" complaint and there is no noise, I don't even bother knocking on the door and I don't know any other cops that would. There is no point trying to fix something that isn't broken and we are busy enough as it is. So I would assume they probably still heard some noise coming from your house.

It's not like people weren't talking. And there was music playing but it wasn't even close to how it was earlier.

As far as them coming into your house, again I wasn't there so I can't say for sure. I can't even count the number of times I have gone to house parties and knocked on the door or rang on the doorbell and there is no answer because they can't hear the knock or the bell. As the police we can't just say "oh well we tried" and leave. I will generally try the door handle to the house or go around back..

The front door was opening and closing a lot around that time as a lot of people were starting to leave (all this happened as the party was dying down). I wasn't at the front door at the time so I don't know for sure.

Once I am inside, what I do depends on how the people are inside. Generally it is a warning that we got a noise complaint, what can you guys do to help out the neighbors? The majority of people are willing to work with us and that is the end of it. If the party is way out of control or the people are not willing to work with us then what we do may escalate. The police aren't out to there to ruin people's nights, our best outcome at a noisy party is that the party quiets down with only having to ask.

This I can understand but where do you draw the line? Cops kicked everyone out. Didn't let them back in to sleep (they hung around for like an hour). Told everyone to leave the area, it was raining... no one wanted to stand in the cold so a few people went to sleep (or at least tired) in their cars. What else are you supposed to do, really?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avdb View Post
I was at this party.. It wasn't really goon.
were you? what do you mean by "goon"...
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #46

^ I think he means "goin"

As far as the cops not letting people back in to sleep, how are they supposed to know everyone will actually go to sleep and not continue to party? The cops want to get it done with in one go, not have to keep coming back after receiving more complaints. There's also the angle of how people who say they're going to stay and sleep will drive home drunk shortly after the cops leave. Forcing everyone to leave while the cops are still (I'm assuming) would seem like the best way to ensure the party is over and noone is driving still under the influence.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #47
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
were you? what do you mean by "goon"...
It was tame. I guess that i missed the part where all this brutality happened. Bevause the cops showed up and seemingly just walked right in i dont think they recieved permission either. But i just saw them come in went and grabbed my jacket and grabbed a cab around the corner.
Posted via RS Mobile
Avdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ I think he means "goin"

As far as the cops not letting people back in to sleep, how are they supposed to know everyone will actually go to sleep and not continue to party? The cops want to get it done with in one go, not have to keep coming back after receiving more complaints. There's also the angle of how people who say they're going to stay and sleep will drive home drunk shortly after the cops leave. Forcing everyone to leave while the cops are still (I'm assuming) would seem like the best way to ensure the party is over and noone is driving still under the influence.
there were only 4 people who were planning to stay the night. it wasn't a free for all.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #49

easier than saying "ok you 4 can stay, everyone else piss off"? who knows. I would think they were just covering themselves.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #50
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
What would happen if the cops didn't have permission to enter the house? What possible solutions would they use to resolve the situation? What options are there?