REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Worried.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598576-worried.html)

acyx 12-03-2009 09:12 PM

Worried..

Mom got pulled over today. The insurance had expired back on November 3rd. She is a very clueless woman and had absolutely no idea that it was expired...== She was fined 598, with a few other fines on top of that but that's not important.

Now I'm super duper worried because I drove that car the past weekend to Burnaby to meet up and make a transaction with a seller. She was waiting by the bus stop and it was pouring so I stopped on the side of E.29 and Earles St. to let her in the car. I guess for safety reasons, she left the door open and we stayed there for a good 1-2 minutes completing the transaction.

I've been expecting a ticket because I stopped near a bus stop (parking violation) and I know that officers can issue a ticket as soon as they see you parked. My engine was still running though.. if that makes any difference. I did somewhat pull over to the side.. but I was not too far from the intersection.

On top of that, as I was leaving and pulling into the traffic, I almost collided with another car that was coming behind me (YES COMPLETELY MY FAULT :( ).. I was in a rush to get out because I knew I shouldn't have stopped there. A cop car was driving along the other end of the traffic, and had turned their lights on as soon as they saw me and the other car that almost hit (the old lady stopped to yell at me..). But the cop car didn't end up stopping as the other car drove off and I drove off the other end.

ANYWAYS, now I'm even more worried because if I had been issued a ticket during the 1-2 minutes that I had stopped there, they would know that the car insurance has expired, right?

How much are such parking violations? Does that mean I would have to pay another 598 on top of the one my mom is paying? How long for a ticket to arrive in the mail? Am I correct the fact that they could've issued a ticket as soon as they saw me stopped by the bus stop?

ALSO: The officers today did not ask my mom to sign the ticket.. Why is that?

Thanks in advance!

CRS 12-03-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acyx (Post 6712564)
Mom got pulled over today because she hadn't renewed her insurance (she's a very clueless woman ==) .. ticket was 598..

License plate says Nov but she just told me after looking into it, it had expired back in November 3.. (Good thing there had been no accidents)

Now I'm worried because I drove the car this weekend to Burnaby, made a complete stop on Earles and 29th because I was meeting up with someone for a transaction and it was raining hard so I waited for her to get in the car.. then she left the car door open so we stayed there for a good minute or two. I did pull to the side, but near a bus stop. I know they can ticket you when they see that without actually talking to me.

I've been expecting a ticket but what if they had punched the license plate in the computer and the insurance had already expired?

Does that mean the 598 would need to be paid twice? Also, how long does it take to receive a ticket in the mail? it's like waiting for a death sentence.. :'( Anyone have an idea of how much it would be?:(

thanks in advance!

Is the second scenario a police officer? Or was it the parking authority? Who caught you? Or what is it that happened?

I reread your whole post again and still can't quite figure out what you're getting at. But if it was the latter, you don't need to worry. If it was a police officer, I would have expected her to pull you over asap. Again, I'm a little confused on what is going on.

Calm down and re-write or edit with more detail?

acyx 12-03-2009 09:59 PM

edited.. finally calmed down a little lol

underscore 12-03-2009 10:00 PM

I think shes saying that she was stopped in a bus zone and is worried someone ran the plate, saw the lack of insurance and now theres a no insurance ticket in the mail.
Posted via RS Mobile

CRS 12-03-2009 10:06 PM

Pretty sure that you're safe.

This is like 95% safe as you didn't actually get stopped. I would say you got off REALLY lucky. Both missing the accident and not getting stopped. Given the circumstances, I don't see you getting a ticket.

This is like when you and a few other cars are speeding and a cop puts the cherries on and you pull over (you were speeding as well) but the cop does not stop for you and chases the other guys. In this situation, you could get a ticket but it is unlikely. So this is kind of what your situation presents. I'd say you're fairly safe.

Get that insurance up to date though, don't want to be stating the obvious but you need to get on that asap.

acyx 12-03-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6712673)
I think hes saying that he was stopped in a bus zone and is worried someone ran the plate, saw the lack of insurance and now theres a no insurance ticket in the mail.
Posted via RS Mobile

im a girl!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6712686)
Pretty sure that you're safe.

This is like 95% safe as you didn't actually get stopped. I would say you got off REALLY lucky. Both missing the accident and not getting stopped. Given the circumstances, I don't see you getting a ticket.

This is like when you and a few other cars are speeding and a cop puts the cherries on and you pull over (you were speeding as well) but the cop does not stop for you and chases the other guys. In this situation, you could get a ticket but it is unlikely. So this is kind of what your situation presents. I'd say you're fairly safe.

Get that insurance up to date though, don't want to be stating the obvious but you need to get on that asap.

thanks a lot CRS.. yup.. definitely making a trip to the insurance company tomorrow. my moms tickets totalled close to 1k including towing fees.

in a way, it's good because neither of us wouldve noticed the insurance had expired.. an accident wouldve been 10x more expensive.

ninjatune 12-04-2009 06:57 AM

didn't you get the 2-3 letters in the mail with big warnings on it?

seekerbeta 12-04-2009 08:28 AM

How do you not notice?

I check people tags while im driving, its something that keeps me occupied on the road, and its funny to laugh at the people that are going to get 500+ tickets for letting their insurance lapse..

This year its kinda easy... your driving in december, with a tag on the back that says "NOV 09" in bright orange, and it should be "NOV 10" in bright green

What if you hit a pedestrian, and with no insurance had to pay ALL HIS/HER BILL OUT OF POCKET? i think you got off lucky

wing_woo 12-04-2009 08:39 AM

You are real lucky that you didn't cause the accident cause you (well, your mom) would be on the hook for the full damages. Anyways, if the officer didn't stop you there, then you probably won't get the ticket because if they knew you had no insurance, you would have been stopped right away. Just count yourself real lucky that the only thing that happened was that your mom got the ticket and the towing fees to pay.

underscore 12-04-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acyx (Post 6712705)
im a girl!

my appologies, edited

taylor192 12-04-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acyx (Post 6712564)
She is a very clueless woman

Please get her and yourself a bus pass. The rest of Vancouver drivers thank you.

LiquidTurbo 12-04-2009 02:44 PM

No offense at all, but your mom being a 'clueless' woman is NO excuse for driving around with zero insurance. That's a ticking time bomb. ICBC always mails out re-insurance reminders and stuff.

Take it as a hard lesson learned. You probably have no reason to be worried about what happened at the bus stop.

Pleading "I didn't know" is futile when it comes to driving issues. You gotta know what it entails, the issue of personal responsibility really is important.

acyx 12-04-2009 04:17 PM

Ya to be honest I'm wondering why the letters didn't come either... The car is under my brothers name. We moved in april but both the license and insurance is under the new address.. Sigh.. Don't know what happened to the letters.. Lost somewhere.... Definitely our responsibility though. I'm very glad no accident happened too.. Getting the no insurance ticket was just a matter of time.

And taylor, I'm bussing now so you should be safe for a while until we get the insurance back.. Haha just kiiding. I'm usually quite a safe driver never been pulled over or anything.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Posted via RS Mobile

underscore 12-04-2009 04:25 PM

Wait wait, it's your moms car but in your brothers name? Who is it insured under? The primary driver I hope.

bui95 12-04-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6713773)
Wait wait, it's your moms car but in your brothers name? Who is it insured under? The primary driver I hope.

ummmm......car insurance is under brothers name. no wonder your mom doesnt know jack about renewing the insurance. sheesh......:rolleyes: