REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #5951
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Wrong thread lol
Advertisement

Last edited by Ch28; 04-28-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #5952
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #5953
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

If you've got nothing planned sunday and your legs are feelin' healthy, there's a charity ride 4 Peaks for Parkinson's. Small donation. Fully supported at certain points (food, clothing drop off etc). I'll be there with some of the EV guys.

604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #5954
RS controls my life!

Hmm that's around my area and I was thinking of doing a similar ride over the weekend, minus grouse lol.

Says registration is over though?
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #5955

^didnt know reg was over as I registered last week.

You could try emailing and seeing if they'll allow a late reg

Will be glorious out
Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #5956
RS controls my life!

Totally, super stoked to get some long rides in this weekend.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #5957
RS controls my life!

Excited for the great weather this weekend as well.
Riding out with a buddy around North Shore on Saturday. Man, if I wasn't going hiking this Sunday. I would be so down to do this ride. Have a good ride Will.
PHATFLIP_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #5958
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

'No drop / regroup ride eh'? What if I take all day, just for SFU? haha..
Have fun!

Anyone going to the big Police Auction on Saturday? Yes, lots of bikes, but in my experience from past auctions, the prices will get bidded really high and won't be worth it in the end, especially with the buyer's premiums (17%), plus taxes, plus $10 admission fee.

And be aware of the BMO Marathon this weekend if you're riding in the city.
The expo is on at the convention centre if you need to get some gels or running gear.

Think I'll do an easy ride this weekend.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #5959

Can anyone drop knowledge on 7x9 Oval Rails ?

My 2011 Cervelo S2 has this seatpost, it clamps from top to bottom (and not from the side).

Is it safe to say, I can run oversized oval rails?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #5960
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Okay, story time!! I've been waiting to tell this one, since it has the best ending possible!

A few days, I noticed a bike on Craigslist, that looked very similar to the bike that my co-worker had stolen from UBC. It was stolen from his house TWO YEARS ago. I txted him, and told him to look at the very vague ad and the two blurry photos posted. What was strange was, that it had the same aftermarket red saddle and white shimano pedals that my co-worker installed after buying the bike. See, my co-worker had given up all hope of ever finding his bike again, and has bought a new bike since then.

So, I emailed the ad, pretending to be an interested buyer and asked what size it was, and when I could come see the bike, even though the ad had a name (Curt) and phone number in the reply box.
Amazingly, I did get a reply, and set up a time and place to meet. It was today at 12:15 at a townhouse complex in North Vancouver. So, at this point, I discussed this with my co-worker and we went over our options. Yes, we can go confront the seller and dish some vigilante justice and take the bike back, or go the proper route and call the cops. He did call the cops at the time the bike was stolen, but like most people, he didn't record the serial number! Nor did he have any photos. So, I urged him to go to the bike store he bought it from and have them look it up and print out another copy of the receipt for him. And they did! I gathered all the evidence, screen grabs of the craigslist ad, receipts for the aftermarket saddle and pedals, and talked to a friend who's in the VPD. He said, yes, you can try to steal it back, or bring a few friends with you..hahaha, or call the North Van RCMP.
We opted to 'do the right thing' and called the RCMP, and told them the entire story. We asked them if they could send an undercover cop to accompany or meet us when we met up with the seller. You know what they said? They said, 'potentially'. Um, ok. Well, I guess at this point, we can't prove the bike is ours 100% if we can't verify the serial number on the bike itself. AND if the serial number is filed off the bike, we are SOL as well! So we had to hope the serial number was still there.

Fast forward to this morning, the RCMP officer said he cannot come, and even suggested to us to steal the bike back! I was somewhat surprised about that. Made us promise, over the phone, to not be confrontational or cause conflict! LOL. Well, if it was some big thug, we'd pee our pants.

Anyways, my co-worker and I came up with one plan of attack. We agreed to just look at the bike and NOT steal it back. Of course, leading up to the meeting, we were both pretty nervous about the whole thing. And this whole time, I was using a fake name on my email, so the seller has no idea who I am or what my phone number is.

So, I drove us up to North Vancouver, scoped out the townhouse and parked a block away, in case things changed and we did steal the bike back if our minds changed. Txted the seller to come out front, and a surprise to both of us, it was a middle aged woman! But sure enough, there was the bike, with the same red SMP saddle and white pedals. She introduced herself to my co-worker and my co-worker says his real name, when we had discussed to use a different name! D'oh! Buhahaha, oh well, whatever. I told her that he brought me along to check out the bike, since I knew what to look for. So I fiddle with it a bit, checking out the brakes, the gears, and then I flip it over, you know, to check for the serial number on the bottom bracket. I had pre-written the serial number on my palm because I knew I wouldn't be able to remember all those digits in that situation! Well, of course, the bottom bracket cable guide was covering some of the numbers, but we could see that the first 2 digits and last digit matched. OK, we are 99.9% sure this is THE bike now. We couldn't test ride the bike, because both tires were flat, so that gave us no opportunity to just ride away.

I tell the seller, yes, we'd like to buy the bike, but we need to go to the bank machine to grab some cash and come back. She even suggested taking the bike with us, to put some air in the tires. At this point, I look at my co-worker and am thinking, hey..we can just take the bike right now with this opportunity! Gave her this old defunct bank card for collateral, but she was smart enough to ask for something with a name on it. Thinking quickly, I was like, nah...we'll just go get cash and come back for the bike.

We walked back to my car and jumped inside. Called the RCMP again, and explained the entire story yet again, and finally they said they'll send a cruiser out right away. After 10 minutes, a ghost car finally comes down the road and we meet with the two officers, and go over the story yet again! Officer is like, wait, you're only 'sorta' sure it's your bike? Well yeah because the cable guide is covering a couple of digits, but I explain to him about the red saddle and white pedals and that we got MOST of the digits of the serial number. They said to txt her back to have her come out front, and they'll pull up when we're talking to her.

So, met up with the woman again, and we had to break it to her. Co-worker says to her, this is actually my bike, it was stolen from me 2 years ago. She was like, HUH WHAT? Then the cops come pulling up with their siren and lights a-blazing, jump out and yell, 'you're under arrest!'. Yep, just like on tv! hahaha. It was pretty exciting, but I was like, uh...that's going overboard no? After explaining the story to the woman, and taking off the cable guide, we verified the entire serial number. The woman explained how she got it as a mother's day gift from her ex-husband and kids a couple years ago. That very well may be a true story, and we felt bad for her, but we were happy to get the bike back! To be fair, my co-worker even offered to pay her the money for the new chain that she said she put on there, but she refused, and she said she was happy to return the bike to the rightful owner! So, I guess the RCMP will follow up with her ex-husband now.

Well, sure made for an exciting Friday, and good to miss some work. Justice has prevailed, hahaha! (Well, not really, since we don't know who the thief is.) And hopefully this will shed some light on what preventative measures you should take to protect your bike! Photos! Photos of you WITH the bike! Serial numbers! Receipts! If you bought the bike 2nd hand & don't have receipts, then run serial number checks to see if the bike is stolen BEFORE you buy it. Engrave your driver's licence number on it, maybe also on some parts if they're pricey, like the saddle, pedals, etc. Hide some personal information down the seat tube, under the inner tubes, in the stem, under the bar tape/grips, etc!
And if you do have your bike stolen, I know the chances are slim to none of ever finding it, but keep looking out for it! Because the cops won't be looking for it, it is the lowest on the priority list for them.

*Willing to be hired as your bike detective.

Last edited by azncreationz; 05-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #5961

New saddle

Specialized romin

This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #5962

Great day out today at 4 peaks

https://www.strava.com/activities/297666702
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #5963
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I saw that on Strava. Beastly.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #5964
RS controls my life!

Great story azncreationz lol. Just pictured the cops busting out with sirens made me lol.

Great saddle 604, got the expert myself. Thinking of trying the new Specialized Power saddle though
Old 05-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #5965
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Just got my my bike fit done by Ian Pacific Multisport today. Really great fellas over there! Charged me a reasonable price for the fit and gave me a deal on a new stem (they determined mine was a bit too long) and cleats. Would recommended!

Thanks, bcrdukes!!

Last edited by tomatogunk; 05-08-2015 at 09:32 PM.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #5966
RS Veteran

Wow, I didn't even know about this!

Glad they took care of you. Stop by the shop more often and get to know the guys. They'll definitely take care of you for the long haul.

Happy riding!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #5967
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
so i picked up a cannondale quick cx1, figured since ill be pulling along the twins chariot alot i'm better off using a hardtail instead of my full suspension rocky mountain. i've already picked up my leds and some fenders, just wondering what are some good saddles and bar packs at a decent price? i'm just a casual rider but i do plan on commuting eventually.

One thing i am also looking for are helmet straps, i have a helmet but the dam strap don't adjust big enough so the dam things are pretty much tight on me. if i cant find straps whats a good helmet that comes large and wont break the bank?
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #5968
RS Veteran

Congrats on the buy! The Quick CX1 is a great commuter and kid hauler.

There's no magical answer to your question regarding saddles and bar packs, but what I would suggest is to get in some more saddle time and ride around for a few weeks get your body used to the bike, then seek some help from your preferred bike shop for assistance.

Can't help you on the helmet strap arena. I would suggest checking online first or visiting a bike shop to gauge what your options are. Perhaps azncreationz can chime in.

Happy riding!

This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #5969
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Picked up a new bike to replace my stolen one. It's a 2015 Argon18 Radon, ended up getting the full 105 setup. Wife is gonna let me keep it in the condo now.

Spoiler!

Last edited by IMASA; 05-17-2015 at 03:37 PM.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #5970
RS Veteran

Damn, that looks sweet.

Sorry you had to go through the ordeal and sucks that it took so long to get you back onto a bike. But at least you got a sweet ride now!

Edit: Is that a Shimano 105 10 or 11 speed? I think the 10 speed groups aren't easily accessible now, or at least financially, they are more or less the same. Am I wrong?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #5971
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
The groupset is a Shimano 105 5800 and is 11spd. I still have 2 wheelsets that I got from you, but they don't work with the 11spd....though I could use the front wheels.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #5972
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Damn, that looks sweet.

Sorry you had to go through the ordeal and sucks that it took so long to get you back onto a bike. But at least you got a sweet ride now!

Edit: Is that a Shimano 105 10 or 11 speed? I think the 10 speed groups aren't easily accessible now, or at least financially, they are more or less the same. Am I wrong?
Pricing between the 5700 and 5800 are quite similar...which I find odd. You can still find them readily available online though. But ya you do need 11 speed compatible hubs.

The stars aligned yesterday and I was able to clear my schedule and spend the whole day riding. Smashed my distance PR, wanted to keep going but my stomach started acting up from all the crap I was trying to cram down lol. And it was a brutal headwind heading all the way home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/306733209
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #5973
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
^ wow
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #5974
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
holy sh*t, i'm just happy to do 8km to steveston and then back home, then again i'm pulling along a couple babies in a chariot.....

which reminds me it's pretty difficult to find a place to park the bike with the chariot, i was wondering if anyone has used the filzer kickstands...idc if its light or what not my main concern is durability.
also gonna get rid of the rear planet bike hybrid fender because it bends too easily, i might just look at adding a pannier style or seatpost rack for usability.
and geezus cannondale's stock seat sucks ass (no pun intended) for comfort, i see everyone upgrading seats what's a good quality brand i should be looking at (my ass big LOL)

thanks in advance.
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #5975
RS Veteran

Well, any distance on the bike still counts, and nobody ever said it would be easy doing it with kids in a chariot!

Filzer products (for me anyway) have been hit and miss. Having said that, I don't have a kick stand so I can't speak for the quality. Since it's an MEC exclusive/in-house brand, it should be okay and you have their warranty.

Most, if not, all stock seats suck ass. I tend to steer people away from the MEC brands (i.e. Planet Bike etc.) and encourage people to go Italian (i.e. Selle Italia, Fizik, Selle San Marco, Prologo) and Specialized (American.) Again, you would have to go to a bike shop to get fitted, but try to put in more bike time before changing saddles. It could also be fitment between you and the bike that is causing problems.

This post thanked by: