REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #5976
RS controls my life!

Haha thanks guys, like bcrdukes, says any distance counts! Getting out there is what matters. That'll probably be my longest ride this year, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak View Post
holy sh*t, i'm just happy to do 8km to steveston and then back home, then again i'm pulling along a couple babies in a chariot.....

which reminds me it's pretty difficult to find a place to park the bike with the chariot, i was wondering if anyone has used the filzer kickstands...idc if its light or what not my main concern is durability.
also gonna get rid of the rear planet bike hybrid fender because it bends too easily, i might just look at adding a pannier style or seatpost rack for usability.
and geezus cannondale's stock seat sucks ass (no pun intended) for comfort, i see everyone upgrading seats what's a good quality brand i should be looking at (my ass big LOL)

thanks in advance.
Are you riding with normal shorts or padded? Like bcrdukes said, it can be a very subjective thing. Less subjective if you're just commuting in normal pants for shorter distances.

If normal shorts, depending on your budget.
Higher end: Brooks saddles are great (but I have no experience personally)
Lower end: Serfas and/or planet bike saddles with the cut out like...Planet Bike A.R.S. Standard Saddle (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available OR Amazon.com : Serfas Performance RX Bicycle Saddle : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors (I had the serfas performance saddle which was very comfy)

If padded shorts, its a whole different ball game. I've had good experiences with Specialized saddles, I think my ass likes them. I have a romin and phenom. Both comfy for me. If I was to upgrade I'd probably stick with specialized because I know they fit me well. And I need the cut out, all saddles w/o it are very uncomfortable. YMMV
Advertisement
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #5977
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Question: How do I buy a set of new wheels without having to also buy a set of new wheels for my GF that also loves to ride bikes.... efffffff
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #5978
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Question: How do you guys plan your rides/routes especially if it's some place you've never ridden to before?

Follow-up to that question: During your ride, how do you remember where to go / where to turn?

I'm generally bad with directions and street names so on a scale of 1-10 in getting lost, I would say I'm at a solid 7.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #5979
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I usually write the directions / landmarks down on a piece of paper and study the route prior to leaving to get a good idea. If in doubt, pull out the phone and refer to the maps.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #5980
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
Question: How do you guys plan your rides/routes especially if it's some place you've never ridden to before?

Follow-up to that question: During your ride, how do you remember where to go / where to turn?

I'm generally bad with directions and street names so on a scale of 1-10 in getting lost, I would say I'm at a solid 7.
I cheat because I preload my route onto my Garmin Edge 800. Before I had the bike GPS, I'd periodically stop off the side of the road, pull out my phone, and load up Google Maps or Strava (if I have it open)
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #5981
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
so i picked up a cannondale quick cx1, figured since ill be pulling along the twins chariot alot i'm better off using a hardtail instead of my full suspension rocky mountain. i've already picked up my leds and some fenders, just wondering what are some good saddles and bar packs at a decent price? i'm just a casual rider but i do plan on commuting eventually.

One thing i am also looking for are helmet straps, i have a helmet but the dam strap don't adjust big enough so the dam things are pretty much tight on me. if i cant find straps whats a good helmet that comes large and wont break the bank?
Wanna sell me your Rocky Mountain? =)
I don't believe you can just buy the helmet straps. Most helmets (reputable ones) come in different sizes, so shop around and try them on before buying. One that won't break the bank? Depends upon your budget, but BELL and Giro make quite a few helmets priced under $100. On the same note, your head is worth spending the money on, no? Not saying a more expensive helmet will guarantee you from brain injury or whatever, but will probably have more features such as vents to keep you cooler, be more light weight so perhaps you won't even feel it on your head, possibly be more aerodynamic, better strap retention system, etc. Of course, none of that matters at all if it doesn't properly fit, and if you're not wearing it properly. I've seen many people wear their helmets backwards, or with their straps not properly cinched.
Happy shopping!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #5982

Quote:

I usually stick to designated bike routes if I'm riding around in the city. They're all marked, and plenty of signage posted.
Other than that, maybe ride with someone who is familiar with the routes in the area that you plan to ride. There's also lots of casual meet-up riding groups you can join, in different areas. Or like everyone said, use your phone GPS.
I've got quite a few foldable pocket maps of the Vancouver bike routes, if you want one, PM me.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #5983

Quote:
holy sh*t, i'm just happy to do 8km to steveston and then back home, then again i'm pulling along a couple babies in a chariot.....

which reminds me it's pretty difficult to find a place to park the bike with the chariot, i was wondering if anyone has used the filzer kickstands...idc if its light or what not my main concern is durability.
also gonna get rid of the rear planet bike hybrid fender because it bends too easily, i might just look at adding a pannier style or seatpost rack for usability.
and geezus cannondale's stock seat sucks ass (no pun intended) for comfort, i see everyone upgrading seats what's a good quality brand i should be looking at (my ass big LOL)

thanks in advance.
I haven't used the filzer kickstand neither, but I've an adjustable height kickstand that you can have if you want to save some money. Also have a few normal kickstands as well.
As someone else mentioned, if you're just touring or cruising around, and weight isn't much of an issue, then yes, a BROOKS saddle is the way to go. Nobody I know that has one, has ever complained about it, myself included. I have one on my touring bike, and it is damn comfy, once it's broken in.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #5984
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Question: How do I buy a set of new wheels without having to also buy a set of new wheels for my GF that also loves to ride bikes.... efffffff
ahaha. DO IT!! 2 different set of wheels so you can also use hers. 80mm and 40mm depth. haha
mc.jolaika is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #5985
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Lol, there's no easy way out of that one. Thank god my GF couldn't fathom dropping as much on a set of wheels as a new bike.

Quote:

Strava Routes is still in beta but it is great. I will turn on terrain, heatmap, bike routes to scope out new areas and plan my trip to avoid main roads. You can print cue sheets, and/or export the route to your GPS. I couple that with street view on google maps to check out the scenary, whether there's a shoulder, etc etc.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #5986
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
I haven't used the filzer kickstand neither, but I've an adjustable height kickstand that you can have if you want to save some money. Also have a few normal kickstands as well.
As someone else mentioned, if you're just touring or cruising around, and weight isn't much of an issue, then yes, a BROOKS saddle is the way to go. Nobody I know that has one, has ever complained about it, myself included. I have one on my touring bike, and it is damn comfy, once it's broken in.
The Cambium isn't that heavy!
Spoiler!

tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #5987
RS Veteran

Ok, shameless plug here, but if anybody is looking for a bike for themselves or a friend/family member, Ian from Pacific Multisport is selling his bike:

*Click on the photos for higher resolution!*

Bike #1
Spoiler!

Bike #2
Spoiler!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #5988

^ too rich for my blood.

bcrdukes, we are riding tomorrow, Olympic Village to Seymour Dam. Don't be a wuss, see you there.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #5989
RS Veteran

Sorry, I'm in LA!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #5990
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
So where is a good place to buy new rims? My mountain bike threw the derailer into the rear spokes last spring and its sat outside for a year. Has new tires and tubes but the wheels are hella old, and the hubs are shit.

1. Cheaper the better? It's a DH bike but I don't do extreme anymore
2. 26" rim. Width I'm not sure? Tire is 26x2.65
3. I run disc brakes
4. I can keep the rear gear set
5. Current front hub fits the big axle for my triple fork
*edit* front hub is qr20

Any ideas on where to go?

Last edited by 320icar; 05-23-2015 at 08:20 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #5991
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Cheapest place has to be from the UK. Check wiggle, chainreaction and ribble.
Ribble has 10% off right. I just ordered a set of wheels on Friday.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #5992
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Send me a Pm 320icar. I have something that would be perfect your needs and cheap vs new. Hope pro2 hubs with magic 721 rims
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #5993

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
^ I'm assuming you meant mavic 721. I had one on my park bike and it was great, light, not too expensive and held up well even while trying to learn rotational tricks and landing sideways. I think they would be ok for a DH bike especially if you're not doing anything too crazy
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #5994
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Old 05-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #5995

Bike to Work Week is here! Who's commuting?? Or who is just Cat6 racing?
Usually, I try to hit up the commuter stations to pick up new maps, samples, etc. If you're looking for a bike route map, this is the place to do it! Or if your bike could use a quick free tune, most stations have a bike mechanic as well. For locations and times, check out Hub's Bike to Work Week
My best grab today was some Earnest Ice Cream down at Science World.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #5996

anyone see any deals lately on an edge 500 bundle? or anyone looking to get rid of their old one?

Currently eyeing on an edge 800 w/ old cadence & speed sensor for $360 but not sure if I should pull the trigger on that
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #5997
RS controls my life!

Quote:
anyone see any deals lately on an edge 500 bundle? or anyone looking to get rid of their old one?

Currently eyeing on an edge 800 w/ old cadence & speed sensor for $360 but not sure if I should pull the trigger on that
I think its the cheapest source for a while: $243CAD
Garmin Edge 500 GPS/HRM/CAD Cycle Computer | ProBikeKit Canada

Usual disclaimer, you're responsible for duties and taxes if Customs sees applicable. Even then, I think its still a deal.
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #5998

^ You might want to check out MEC's BikeFest this Saturday, as they also have a GearSwap. Usually lots of good stuff on sale for CHEAP. All returns and warranty items, so final sale.
It is happening at MEC on West Broadway in Vancouver, from 10am-3pm. Prepare to line up.
Next weekend is BikeFest on the North Shore.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #5999

Thanks, I'll be sure to head there for misc gear I'm missing.

I was able to score a gently used Edge 800 online for $280
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #6000
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Installed new wheels and a cassette. It was more of an impulse buy because they're not much lighter than my stock wheels. I mostly wanted to see the benefits of going to a 35mm wheel and I think these look better than my stock wheels.

IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: