REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #6576
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Did you go to Speed Theory yesterday? They had a sweet looking R2 there, I was thinking of you. I picked my bike up about 12:00 and rode it back to Port Moody, what an awesome improvement over my Jamis!

Mark
I couldn't make it, schedule got too busy . Going to try to sneak away from work early this week to go take a peek.

How was the R3? And the Ultegra group set? I'm just itching to ride something higher than Tiagra
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #6577
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,553 Times in 1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Are you looking at new or used? At $350, you can get a new Raleigh, such as this:
Raleigh Detour 3.5 - Bike Doctor

but it's going to have cheap components on it.
If you can budget a little more, at $400, you can get a Devinci St. Tropez or even a Stockholm, such as this:
Raleigh Detour 3.5 - Bike Doctor

Good luck on your seach!
Thanks for the suggestion man! I'm gonna read this one up a bit, I was totally lost on where to start brand wise, lol.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #6578
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ sorry, I fixed that 2nd link, should be: Devinci Stockholm - Bike Doctor
All the well known brands make some sort of Hybrid bike, just depends what you like and how it fits, and of course, your budget.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #6579
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_N84 View Post
I couldn't make it, schedule got too busy . Going to try to sneak away from work early this week to go take a peek.

How was the R3? And the Ultegra group set? I'm just itching to ride something higher than Tiagra
Honestly as I was swiping my credit card I was freaking out inside going "what if there isn't a difference..." It only took about 30 minutes into my ride home to realize that it was a serious improvement. A bunch of small differences add up to a big overall change. My position is significantly lower on the r3 and this is actually more comfortable IMO. I am very pleased with the bike but am only 40km in haha.

Ride the r2, it will be a great bike.

Mark
Old 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #6580

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Honestly as I was swiping my credit card I was freaking out inside going "what if there isn't a difference..." It only took about 30 minutes into my ride home to realize that it was a serious improvement. A bunch of small differences add up to a big overall change. My position is significantly lower on the r3 and this is actually more comfortable IMO. I am very pleased with the bike but am only 40km in haha.

Ride the r2, it will be a great bike.

Mark
What were you riding previously? Can I get a pic of the R3 for the spank bank?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #6581
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

You'll need to make sure the crank you get is compatible with a PF30 bottom bracket.

If you have / the bike has ultegra di2 and you want to run a 11-32 cassette, then you need the GS derailleur which is the longer cage. You don't need to buy an extra derailleur to disassemble. Anything bigger than a 28 you need long cage, otherwise short cage.

Depending on your fitness and intended use, in my opinion and experience 50/34 11-32 is a bit overkill. Great for if you're in an area with a ton of hills, and all you're doing are hills. But for vancouver, semi compact 52/36 11-28 is more than enough. I've been running 53/39 11-27 on my cervelo for 2 years doing the triple crowns, fondos etc just fine. But I recently stepped down to 52/36 11-27 and I'm finding it's a good balance. Performs well in racing too.

Again, comes down to your personal fitness and riding style. When i ran a 50/34 11-28 during group rides, i felt in between gears a lot of the time. I wouldn't spin out on the flats (you'd have to be very strong) but I did feel under geared when descending HSB/cypress/sfu/seymour.

165mm cranks... over the last few years people have been migrating to shorter cranks, Cervelo has a nice write up on it (https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...n-crank-length).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
Can any of you tell me if my intended power meter/chainring/cassette setup will work?

Bike is a Look 675 w/ a Press-fit 86.5mm bottom bracket. Ultegra Di2 6870 11 sp

Intended Power meter: Quarq Riken AL 110 BCD 165mm cranks
Intender chain ring: SRAM X-Glide YAW 11 speed 50/34
Intended cassette swap: SRAM wifli 11/32

I've read that the rear cage of the Di2 is the shorter version (ss) but the manual ultegra 6800 has a longer cage variant, the gs. So I intend on buying a manual ultegra and swap the rear cages to accommodate the 11/32 cassette.

Feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 04-13-2016 at 08:41 AM.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #6582
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
You'll need to make sure the crank you get is compatible with a PF30 bottom bracket.

If you have / the bike has ultegra di2 and you want to run a 11-32 cassette, then you need the GS derailleur which is the longer cage. You don't need to buy an extra derailleur to disassemble. Anything bigger than a 28 you need long case, otherwise short cage.

Depending on your fitness and intended use, in my opinion and experience 50/34 11-32 is a bit overkill. Great for if you're in an area with a ton of hills, and all you're doing are hills. But for vancouver, semi compact 52/36 11-28 is more than enough. I've been running 53/39 11-27 on my cervelo for 2 years doing the triple crowns, fondos etc just fine. But I recently stepped down to 52/36 11-27 and I'm finding it's a good balance. Performs well in racing too.

Again, comes down to your personal fitness and riding style. When i ran a 50/34 11-28 during group rides, i felt in between gears a lot of the time. I wouldn't spin out on the flats (you'd have to be very strong) but I did feel under geared when descending HSB/cypress/sfu/seymour.

165mm cranks... over the last few years people have been migrating to shorter cranks, Cervelo has a nice write up on it (https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...n-crank-length).
Thanks. I'm taking another direction on my setup yet again but you're right, 11-32 seems like an overkill come to think of it. I do think my fitness is as at a good level and I mostly ride around the GVA so granny gears are not needed for that. One of the things I'd like to do this season is to do the fondo and do a single day ride of the three peaks- I thought it would be nice to have for those rides. I think I'll stick with the 11-28 I have for now.

Great read on the shorter crank arms too. I consider myself a spinner so I'm excited to see what kind of cadence I can do with the shorter arms and 50/34 gears. Worst case, I can switch back to 52/36 if I find myself in between gears.

The quarq vendor I ordered from had a discrepancy in their inventory so they cancelled and refunded my order which turned out to be a good thing. I got in touch with P2Max, who's NA offices are based here in Vancouver. I didn't go through them initially because they were more expensive but I'm glad I did now. Customer service is great - fast responses, you save on shipping when you pick up from their North Vancouver location and they install it for you as well. And if there are any problems, you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of shipping items back and forth. The best part about it is they also give you the option to pay in CDN so you save a bit on the conversion plus the 2.5% fee your credit card charges on top. If you pay cash there's an additional 5% discount.

On another note, has anyone had any experiences with oval chainrings - osymetric, rotor q-rings?

Last edited by tomatogunk; 04-13-2016 at 09:01 AM.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #6583

Q-rings supposed to flatten out the dead spots in your pedal stroke, likely a marginal gain. If it was such a huge performance boost, you would see everyone in the pro pelaton ride them but you don't. I've ridden them before on a buddies bike, couldn't really tell much of a difference but then again it was only for a short period of time (50km).

RE: Disc Brakes
So the disc brakes on road bikes in the pro pelaton discussion continues as the first reports of serious injuries occured at Paris Roubaix with at least 1 rider with massive gash on leg after coming down onto a disc: Ventoso blasts the use of disc brakes in the peloton | Cyclingnews.com

{edit} Looks like UCI is suspending disc brakes for now, http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...entoso-injury/

Anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming... high speeds, massive pile ups, with disc 'blades' at the front and back of bicycles ... It will be interesting to see how the bicycle manufacturers will react to this now

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 04-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #6584

^ you mean, like BioPace? haha, yeah, I'm old school. I have them on a few of my old mtn bikes, don't really feel a difference.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #6585
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
^ you mean, like BioPace? haha, yeah, I'm old school. I have them on a few of my old mtn bikes, don't really feel a difference.
Like biopace but clocked 90* differently to work completely opposite of biopace theoretically
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #6586

FYI... For anyone that hasn't experienced owning a pair of top of the line bib shorts, this might be your opportunity.

In my opinion, Assos makes the most comfortable pair of shorts and best chamois pad. Their top trim shorts is the T.campionissimo shorts that retail online and in store for $450-$500CAD + tax

Just spotted them online on Ribble for $229CAD including free shipping (SIZE SM & MD ONLY): Assos T.Campionissimo Bib Shorts - Bib Shorts & Shorts - Ribble Cycles

Note: If you're not lean and in athletic shape like the guy pictured, these shorts are not for you. They are super super tight compression...

Best shorts I own...
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #6587

Finally got around to putting together the Specialized Langster frame that I got from ZN6 a while ago.

Spec list? Some parts I had lying around, and some are new or new to me(used). Knowing that this isn't the lightest frame to work with, there are some carbon parts to offset the weight. ZN6, not sure how much it weighed when you had it all together, but right now, it weighs 16.9lbs without bartape and pedals.
Parts list: New Sugino BB and Sugino RD Messenger crankset, SRAM chain, old $20 Wobler rear wheel that came with old Serfas tire and old hub from OCB, Surly Tuggnut as tensioner (& bottle opener), FSA carbon seat post, M.O.ST saddle, Ritchey carbon stem, Easton EC90 carbon handlebars, FORZA brakes (F&R), Cane Creek brake levers, Bontrager Select front wheel, Specialized Pro front tire and generic carbon fork. Will probably replace that rear wheel at some point, but I couldn't resist the cheap wheel at the time. And yes, I put it together in the hallway of my condo. =)

Last edited by azncreationz; 04-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #6588
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I want to pick up biking again. Haven't biked for like 15 years now.

Any recommendations on shops that offer decent selection for budget around $250-$350? It'll mostly be used within city biking, don't need the newest and greatest. Thanks in advance.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #6589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I want to pick up biking again. Haven't biked for like 15 years now.

Any recommendations on shops that offer decent selection for budget around $250-$350? It'll mostly be used within city biking, don't need the newest and greatest. Thanks in advance.
Shops that carry bikes within that budget, I would say try Ride On Kitslano, Sports Junkies, Bikes For All, Bike Doctor & Cap's Sapperton. The first three shops will have some used bikes, but all tuned, as well. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #6590
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,171 Posts
Was shuttle driver today, helping the local kids' high school team do some laps.

fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 04-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #6591

First crit race of the season at WTNC Glenlyon Business Park on Tuesday night. 200+ ppl showed up! Was insane...

This is the final 2 laps of the Cat4 race with 55 ppl. I'm leading out my mates at the end (the guys in the red Pender Racing jerseys and dark grey/black bibs)

This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #6592
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Random question. I'm thinking of building up a hard tail for city use, but keeping it as a low budget build from parts I have laying around the garage.

Anyways. Is there such thing as an adapter to use 9mm QR wheelset with a 20mm thru axle front fork? I love my manitou Sherman and would like to use it. If not possible, I guess I'd have to look into selling it/ trading for a QR front fork
Old 04-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #6593
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
First crit race of the season at WTNC Glenlyon Business Park on Tuesday night. 200+ ppl showed up! Was insane...

https://youtu.be/dEGzdMXyNlU
holy shit you guys are moving fast lol i can't even imagine how hard it would be to maintain crusing at 40+
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #6594

Lol! I was surprised myself when I looked down during the race. I've done a few longer road races but this was my first crit, and I agree it was fast. Over the 27km's, the average speed was 41.6km/hr over the duration.

If you're at the pointy end of the front, you're working hard for the time that you're up there, but when you're behind someones wheel, you're spending 30% less energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
holy shit you guys are moving fast lol i can't even imagine how hard it would be to maintain crusing at 40+
Old 04-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #6595

Quote:

This is the final 2 laps of the Cat4 race with 55 ppl. I'm leading out my mates at the end (the guys in the red Pender Racing jerseys and dark grey/black bibs)

I thought you almost had it in the end! Good race!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #6596

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Random question. I'm thinking of building up a hard tail for city use, but keeping it as a low budget build from parts I have laying around the garage.

Anyways. Is there such thing as an adapter to use 9mm QR wheelset with a 20mm thru axle front fork? I love my manitou Sherman and would like to use it. If not possible, I guess I'd have to look into selling it/ trading for a QR front fork
I think you're looking for something like this?
DMR Pro Wheel 20mm - QR Adaptor | Chain Reaction Cycles
(currently unavailable though)
Or you can try to make your own, such as this:
20mm bolt thu to QR dropout conversion!!! For Sale
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #6597

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Actually, the opposite way lol. 20mm thru axle front fork with 9mm QR rim/hub. It seems like a pretty rare thing so might just have to ignore that
Old 04-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #6598
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Finally got around to putting together the Specialized Langster frame that I got from ZN6 a while ago.
Spoiler!

Spec list? Some parts I had lying around, and some are new or new to me(used). Knowing that this isn't the lightest frame to work with, there are some carbon parts to offset the weight. ZN6, not sure how much it weighed when you had it all together, but right now, it weighs 16.9lbs without bartape and pedals.
Parts list: New Sugino BB and Sugino RD Messenger crankset, SRAM chain, old $20 Wobler rear wheel that came with old Serfas tire and old hub from OCB, Surly Tuggnut as tensioner (& bottle opener), FSA carbon seat post, M.O.ST saddle, Ritchey carbon stem, Easton EC90 carbon handlebars, FORZA brakes (F&R), Cane Creek brake levers, Bontrager Select front wheel, Specialized Pro front tire and generic carbon fork. Will probably replace that rear wheel at some point, but I couldn't resist the cheap wheel at the time. And yes, I put it together in the hallway of my condo. =)
I can't think of a more appropriate picture than the one from Altered Beast:

Excellent work man!! When I had it it was around 18lbs.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #6599

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for getting into group riding?
Last few 30km jaunts around Stanley park have been averaging 28-31km/h as per my Garmin. Need to head out on some longer rides so I can make sure I won't bonk out. But i'd like to get some experience riding in some groups as i'll be doing the Tour de Victoria in august, and am aiming for a 32-35km/h average over the 140k route. I have a feeling it would be smart to test out the waters with some people around me before I start playing with hundreds, if not thousands of riders at once.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-27-2016 at 07:24 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #6600

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:

Heysues! Wow. How can you keep your heart rate up so high for so long! Haha that's insane/