REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #7026
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I think given some conditioning, most people can hit low 3 minutes for the climb up Prospect Point. I think at one point, we all did when we rode together.

I mean, climbing out of the saddle up a hill looks awesome and all, but yeah, it's probably cooler to look awesome than hitting the numbers.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #7027
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
Thanks for the responses, I've been trialing different methods of climbing techniques.

A guy I was riding with, attacked prospect hill off the saddle for the entire climb, he ended with a low 3:00 minute climb.

I try starting at the same pace off the saddle, but my heart rate gets to high and when I am back on the saddle by the second turn I am close to passing out...
I'd usually go hot into the corner just before the turn to go up prospect point to ride the momentum. But then for all hills I gotta do it that way otherwise I'd be mashing hard.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #7028
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Sub 3 minute time for me I had to average 26km/hr at about 350watts (but my watts vs ur watts differ due to weight etc), and I was in the big ring the whole time.

I'm seated most of the time except for the parts that kick up a little bit, I'll stand to attack those bits to maintain my speed, sit down and hold the speed to the next kicker and stand and attack again.

It's easier done while riding with other ppl, or else ull just have to ride to your power numbers.

Some ppl stand to climb some people sit. It's up to the persons preference and body type. Prospect point is also a really short climb with an avg grade of only 4% so most people have no issue just sitting and pushing a big gear over.

Ride the Tuesday Bicicletta social ride. That's a good time to break PR's cuz ull have a mix of stronger riders that you can just sit on their wheel and they pace you up
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 12:45 AM   #7029
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I'm still very scared of riding in groups but it's something I have to learn to do.

Today at 2 pm at 29 degrees weather, riding up 11% on British Properties almost killed me. I've never sweated so much in my life with sweat dripping constantly non stop from my face.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #7030

^ Consider riding with a group. It will help you with riding etiquette, bike handling skills, riding techniques, etc. It's difficult to get better when you ride alone as you don't know what you need to improve

If you're riding Brit properties you should have no issues riding with others

If you're afraid bc you feel others are more advanced than you, then join a group where everyone is new and the group is lead by someone experienced (ie// Tuesday night bici ride group D)
Old 08-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #7031
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
How new is new? I'd like to try a group bike ride, but if 6793026 is scared and rides BP, I'm wayyyyyyyyy more beginner than that. haha
Old 08-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #7032
ZN6

Group rides aren't scary once you get familiar with the ettequite. Basically don't do anything that will endanger others and be sure to give clear signals to your intentions. If behind someone and passing give a qquickvocal signal you're passing left. No wheel overlap meaning your front wheel isn't to the left or right of their rear wheel when following. You learn more as you ride with more groups but the basics are the same.

There's riders in all levels, the bici ride usually has different groups to accomodate a number of skill levels from beginner to more advanced riders.

Tuesdays are good days to find them. I unofficially caught up with them and chatted up a few of them. Friendly group. They do have a sign up page to put your name down and they do an attendance check. No mountain, track or TT bikes though, strictly road bikes for everyone's safety.

Always wear safety gear.GL
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #7033
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Yea, my main concern would be keeping up with the pack/not slowing people or the group down. Etiquette wise its all pretty standard. Are cx bikes are welcome?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #7034
ZN6

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2016-bic...on-25073143447

Rules and details there. I think cx bikes are fine. Swap on some road tires and you're golden. They have a no drop policy so they do wait up for you.

Hell, if you want, I'll ride with you.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #7035

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Yea, my main concern would be keeping up with the pack/not slowing people or the group down.
That's what I fear the most is when you hold people back. In a group, you don't want to lose the draft or just have people wait for you at pit stop and you're the last guy.

Riding alone has it's pros and cons.
Pros = you can be as slow as you want.
Cons (in my point of view) = you're stagnant at your own pace. I make that up by increasing my distance so at least I know my endurance is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Sub 3 minute time for me I had to average 26km/hr at about 350watts (but my watts vs ur watts differ due to weight etc), and I was in the big ring the whole time.
Shit like this scares me; times and averages. What if you're at 19 km/hr and others in the group are 26... that's a huge gap and last thing I want is to slow people down. Mind over matter I guess.

1st group ride tmw, let's see how I do.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #7036
ZN6

^^^ How'd it go? I rode out to deep cove, was gonna do seymour as well but it was rooaaasting by the time 10:30am hit. Oh well, next weekend I'll go earlier so I avoid the lion's gate bike traffic and the heat. Gonna be a warm week. Thursday's looking at 28 degrees.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #7037

Totally hear your concerns on this.

Keep in mind though, riding as a group is all about managing peoples expectations.

Riders of different abilities are able to ride together as long as the group leader puts down a few rules, ex// no drop ride, average 20-25km/hr, regroup at X location, etc

For Tuesday night rights with Bici, groups are split up between A,B,C,D (fast to slow). The group rides together all the way to the Prospect Point Climb, and then people are free to blast up the hill if they so choose. Then, they regroup at the top. Rinse and repeat.

So even if you are the fastest or slowest guy in the pack, you will regroup at some point and then ride together again.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on those Tuesday nighters... It's all about being social, making a new friend, and riding with new people regardless of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Shit like this scares me; times and averages. What if you're at 19 km/hr and others in the group are 26... that's a huge gap and last thing I want is to slow people down. Mind over matter I guess.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #7038

Totally from a newbie pt of view so it might help you out. I still believe to this day; best to learn from someone else's mistake than making them yourself.

1) Rode with a group with 8 people which is perfect size. Once you have 20+ you get multiple drop offs and very hard to manage.
2) Learn the hand signals; slow down, be in formation, point to danger etc. It does help and it's these things no one will teach you unless you ask (or joint a bike club to get a briefing).
3) Pace & Drafting. if you're a newbie, stay at the back. There is nothing worse when you're in the 3rd guy and you can't keep up and there are 6 guys behind you and you lose the draft.

*What the falk is drafting you might ask; (Yes we can all google and know the benefit of it blah blah blah) but what do you have to do?
a) You have to stay SUPER close to the guy in front of you, maybe ~6-10 inches tire to tire; which to me was very very intimidating at first.
b) Staying at the same pace as everyone else is MOFO difficult when you're not at the same pace. Their definition of slow group is 33km/h. To me I was blank esp I don't have a power meter and don't know the lingo.

What did i learn?

1) have a good group that's accommodating; waiting for you, no drop offs. Small group of 8 is awesome.
2) Be sure to have a good endurance (distance wise), but cadence wise I need a lot of help. I've been pedaling & gearing wrong, wasting my energy and totally need to train better by doing high low interval intensity training if I want to ride in a group.
3) Be prepared for the unexpected; *longer distance than expected, * detours etc. The 50km ride turned out to be a century ride. (i was totally game and the group had a fun laugh) just know your limit and know what you're getting into before each ride.
4) Make sure you have a friend / buddy with you and their contact esp. when you get dropped off, missed a turn, and of course motivation.

Lastly, it's never about the bikes (in my humble opinion); there are guys with a shitty bike but still able to smash it leading the pack.

Last edited by 6793026; 08-15-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #7039
ZN6

Quote:

Lastly, it's never about the bikes (in my humble opinion); there are guys with a shitty bike but still able to smash it leading the pack.
Those are the guys who rip on those bikes as hard as they want and not care. Those shitty bikes are also good training tools to work with what you have. It is definitely the newness factor for me when I got my Propel. I baby it and treat it pretty gingerly. But when I'm back on the single gear I ride it like I stole it. I still maintain it really well but it is the bike I love to mash the hell out of.

It's like that old realiable beater civic you love to redline daily. It's like loving to drive a slow car fast more than driving a fast car slow type of deal.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #7040
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Can't remember who was looking for Conti 4000S II tires a few pages back, but
here you go:
Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Clincher Tyre Twin Pack | ProBikeKit Canada

plus an extra mystery discount for 24 hours (code is PBK18). I got extra 12% off. Came to $76.55 for the pair, hard to beat that.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #7041
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Which type of mud guards are you guys running on your road bikes?
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #7042
I subscribe to Revscene

what do you guys think about cav's move in the omnium? looked slimy as shit to me. two shoulder checks and bam!

i don't know the mechanics of velodrome racing too well, but that seemed blatantly dirty.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #7043

I'm getting a bike fit next week; not just "sit here, arms are good, here's a good stem, and then off you go" but proper fitting to cater to my style of riding. Heck, it's a 150 min session so I sure hope it's worth it. Time will tell once also purchase the parts to make the adjustments.

BTW, what's a good bike light for night riding. Looking for rear and maybe for front if that's needed?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #7044
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
Which type of mud guards are you guys running on your road bikes?
I'm using these ones:
Wiggle | SKS Bluemels Reflective Mudguard Set | Mudguards

on my cyclocross. Took some bending and cutting of stays, but I love them.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #7045
ZN6

Quote:
I'm getting a bike fit next week; not just "sit here, arms are good, here's a good stem, and then off you go" but proper fitting to cater to my style of riding. Heck, it's a 150 min session so I sure hope it's worth it. Time will tell once also purchase the parts to make the adjustments.

BTW, what's a good bike light for night riding. Looking for rear and maybe for front if that's needed?
Worth it. Data is transferable next time you buy a bike as long as you don't change much.

I find all the planet bike stuff is pretty ok. I have a lot of bad experience with bike lights and shit off amazon cheap shit $3 bike lights. Never again. I used to think that external standard batteries are great, but then those ones that use AAAs are usually bulky compared to some lower profile Lithium powered bike lights that charge by USB. I'm making the switch
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #7046
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I've commute all year around 2-3 times a week and I've switched to USB powered blinkers. It's just way more convenient than needing batteries IMO.

I commute on east/west along Kent and there's some sections that are pretty dark. I'm looking at something more powerful for those sections but anything decent is $100+. I'm tempted to just go on Aliexpress and pick up a 3000 lumen $15 light.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #7047
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Anyone a size 53 and looking for a single speed that was spared with no expense? I've been watching this listing on eBay where the seller originally asked for $1100. I guess it didn't sell at that price and it's now under auction

Current bid as of this posting: US $571.00 with 4 hrs left
Frameset for the 464P alone is $800+

Look 464 P Custom Singlespeed Bike Built w Finest Components Brand New | eBay

FRAME, FORK and all parts are BRAND NEW

-464 P frameset size 53cm M/L
-3T Rondo PRO carbon fork
-Custom wheelset PAUL high-flange track hubs laced to H&Son rims
-White Industries 16t Freewheel
-Sugino 75 crankset
-Sugino 75 chainring
-Sugino 75 ceramic bottom bracket
-Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
-Campagnolo carbon TT brake levers
-ZIPP SL stem
-ZIPP Vuka Alumina bullhorn bar
-SRAM Force 22 brakeset in limited dark grey
-San Marco CONCOR Supercorsa track saddle
-Continental Grand Prix tires
-Wellgo WR-1 Titanium pedals
-Jagwire cabling

Last edited by tomatogunk; 08-18-2016 at 08:15 AM.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #7048

RIBBLE is having a huge sale... on tires tools helmets

2 conti 4000's for $73 after discount
2 vittoria corsa G+ cottons for $89 after discount... (these are $89-$110 each locally)

Code is TYRES20
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #7049
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
I'm currently on conti 4000's and due for a new set next season. How are the vittorias compared to the contis?
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #7050

Nothing wrong with having a stock of tires on hand... they wear out and will puncture

Vittoria Corsa G+ not as durable mileage wise... but very supple. Corsa G+ & latex tubes is the closest feel you'll get to a tubular...

I love them. Look fuckin fantastic.