REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #7151
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
I think that is the every Sunday Vets Ride.
Advertisement
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #7152
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Riding alone just doesn't do it for me anymore. I thought I accomplished well doing century rides & triple crown etc but I didn't know how or where to push myself as a newbie. Wasn't until after riding with a group that I realized I needed to learn how to draft, ride faster, push proper watts etc.

Again, guilty as a newbie and being in a riding group totally opened my eyes.
there is lots to learn in this sport and u did very good as newbie
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #7153
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
^ Have you club shopped? I've been riding with the same group since last year. It was fine then when I had 0 skills and was just new to the sport but I feel that its about time to find a group that will challenge & take my skills to new heights.
Bicicletta does Tuesdays with multiple levels and I'm sure you can move up? (I haven't been but my other buddies have).

I'm 4 months into the sport and only ridden 1 month with a group. Not even close to outgrow it yet. It was intimating as fuck keeping up at first and getting dropped a lot; but man, picked up so many proper tips after riding improperly by myself.

Thankful for great group who always stops and waiting up. Having a friend or two helps. You know you're advancing when you start getting 80-100 Personal Records after every group ride on Strava.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #7154
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

This is the Sunday Vets Ride, and I've ridden it a few times but have not in a while.

The group is composed mainly of ex-racers from all different clubs who have deep roots in the cycling community. This ride is a drop ride, very fast and on clear sections is at times race pace (40km/hr+)

The individual on the bike yelling at the reporter is not indicative of the entire groups mentality about road safety. However, the reporter isn't doing themselves any justice by pulling along side the group and trying to interview them.

Always two sides to the story so take the report with a grain of salt. But some of the behaviour you're seeing does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #7155
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
I've been on the lookout for smart trainers and originally had my eyes set on the wahoo kickr. Unfortunately, due to budget constraints and the fact that the price of a new Kickr is almost a new bike, I decided to look around.

According to DC Rainmakers blog, the Tacx Vortex Smart is the best trainer in the $500-$1000US range.

These typically go for $699 CDN + taxes here. For those interested in taking the plunge to smart trainers, I found a deal on bike24 for 277 EUR ~ 445 CAD shipped with today's conversion rate. Never ordered from them before but according to some folks at RFD, Bike24 ships via Germany DHL and then hands it off to Canda Post (hope they don't go on strike) and fees came up to simply the taxes + $10 handling charge. So just a little over $500 CAD all in for a brand new smart trainer.
got le packaged today. Ordered on the 5th and arrived in 6 business days from Germany. Best part of all... didn't get dinged with any duties.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #7156
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Hey guys, the annual clearance sale is happening right now (ends on Sunday) at all 3 locations of Different Bikes. Some good deals to be had! I took the day off work and went to all 3 store locations, each still had plenty of stock. All clothing/shoes are 50% off! Check their website for 'some' of the deals, but I know 1st hand that some of the prices are different between stores.

On the same note, Kinetic Cycles will be having their sale on Oct. 1st & 2nd.

Happy shopping!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #7157
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Anyone doing ride for refuge Oct 1?
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #7158
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Has anyone ever flown a bike internationally? any precautions, extra costs involved?
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #7159
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
I've done extensive traveling on my bike in Air Canada multiple times, if that means anything.

I've always thrown into a cardboard bike box. I once threw the bike into a Thule hardcase, and let me tell you, it fucking sucks. Heavy and bulky as fuck and such a pain in the ass to fit into some cars. Never again.

Pre-cautions
1. Pack it yourself and protect everything you can as much as possible.
2. Take your pedals off if you can.
3. Tape off all your current settings or mark them with something.
4. Repeat step 1.
5. Tape the box thorougly and properly. Don't skimp out on this. Last thing you want is for the box to pop open and your front wheel goes flying off the runway.
6. I usually remove the rear derailleur, but some people get away with it. It's not a risk I want to take, so I do it and then zap strap it to the rear stay.
*Edit* - 7. Take pictures of your bike before you pack it and after you pack it. Inspect your bike ASAP when you get a chance after you land. Some peoples wheels or frames were cracked during transit. File a claim ASAP. DO NOT WAIT.

Depending on airline, some airlines charge the bike as 1 check in luggage, and then an additional handling fee, so it works out to about $80 or so (again depends on airline.)

I haven't had any issues traveling with a bike, especially in a cardboard bike box. This doesn't mean you won't, so YMMV!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-27-2016 at 05:35 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #7160
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanks, I'm taking my bike on Air Canada to the US in December, so this is helpful.

They charge $50 for bikes...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #7161
RS Veteran

I think it's $50 for the bike alone, plus the $30 luggage fee. I may be wrong. Let us know!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #7162
RS Veteran

A few things I just remembered and wanted to add.

Depending on the size of the bike box you get (assuming it is cardboard) you can get away with a few things. Try to get a box where a bigger bike was shipped in (i.e. 55/56cm.)

I managed to get away with the following:
1. Seat post - I didn't have to remove it, but I marked it off with electrical tape a few times in case I absolutely had to remove it.
2. Handlebars - I didn't have to remove it off the fork. I simply turned it sideways but still marked it off with tape in the event I had to remove it.
3. Rear derailleur - Like the items above, I didn't have to remove it, but I only ever took this chance once. Nothing is shittier than finding out your rear derailleur cage was bent.

I was able to fit in the wheels etc. into the box with ease. Most recently, I got a box meant for a 50cm bike. While I managed to fit everything in the box, I had to play Tetris a few times to make it work, but that also meant having to disassemble the items I mentioned above, and then play Tetris again to make it work.

Having said all this, I travel with my bike enough to the point where I should probably invest in a bike travel bag. Fucking dumbass bcrdukes.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #7163
RS controls my life!

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a kilo TT, but can't decide what size to get. I drew up some measurements of a 47 and 50cm, with my 50cm evo in the middle. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

My Feedback
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #7164
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The 50 fits basically same to your current bike based on those numbers, there's nothing worse than a bike that fits too small IMO. Stack and reach numbers would tell yiu more as well if available. Stand over height isn't really important for TT bikes I'd think.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #7165
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
The fact that Kilo does not give reach and standover measurements makes it much harder to compare. Top tube length is a terrible method of comparison as it is dependent on seat tube angle and length. In this case because the seat tube of the Kilo 50 is longer and less steep than your Evo, it will lessen the reach. What that means is you will likely need the same stem or possibly even longer on the Kilo to have an identical reach measurement which is actually what matters. The 47 is too small.

Mark
Old 10-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #7166
UFO

A steeper seat tube angle usually corresponds to a shorter top tube length and physical reach. The effective TT length is not dependent on seat tube length as its a horizontal The actual 'reach' measurement is not affected by seat tube angle or length

I would suggest the 50 Kilo would be quite close to the EVO fit wise, that half degree in the seat angle can account for the couple mm difference in TT length, which can easily be adjusted for in saddle positioning, or a different seatpoost or stem at worst. Having said that, I'm not sure on TT bike geometry/fit difference preferences vs road bike
Old 10-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #7167
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
A steeper seat tube angle usually corresponds to a shorter top tube length and physical reach. The effective TT length is not dependent on seat tube length as its a horizontal The actual 'reach' measurement is not affected by seat tube angle or length

I would suggest the 50 Kilo would be quite close to the EVO fit wise, that half degree in the seat angle can account for the couple mm difference in TT length, which can easily be adjusted for in saddle positioning, or a different seatpoost or stem at worst. Having said that, I'm not sure on TT bike geometry/fit difference preferences vs road bike
Your bolded statement is correct, which is what I said in my post. Reach is very much the preferred method of comparing horizontal fit for road bikes as it takes a great number of the other variables out of the equation. However, there is no reach measurement provided for Kilo TT bikes.

Your statement about effective top tube is also correct, but is not what I said - I was talking about top tube, not effective top tube. However, regardless, either are both inferior to reach as they are both affected by seat tube angle.

I agree though that the 50cm appears to be the best option in this instance.

Mark
Old 10-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #7168
UFO

As an aside I don't think anybody uses the real/actual top tube length in their geometry charts anymore. Because it's absolutely meaningless as you've alluded to.

I personally like the traditional effective top tube measure and feel it's important, because there are still some companies who don't use reach and stack for some reason. And also harder to compare fit with older bikes I know work well for me but no reach/stack number available.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #7169
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Went to Whistler Bike Park for the first time in 15 years. 3 flats later (All different reasons), I finally made one clean run for the day. Then we left haha.

I didn't feel too bad as it was a left over pass from the winter, but man what a riot. I'll be getting back into that again next summer for sure.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #7170
RS controls my life!

Wow thanks guys for the responses, I guess my only real concern is with standover. I'm not very tall at 5'5 with an inseam of 29-30. I just figured that with the higher bottom bracket and the bigger seat tube to center measurement (3cm more) that the bike would be big for me.

My Feedback
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #7171
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Dafuq was that weather at 5pm today. Holy, didn't matter if i had a water resistant shell, i was soaked. Thank god the groundcontrol is always willing to get wet.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #7172
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Went to Whistler Bike Park for the first time in 15 years. 3 flats later (All different reasons), I finally made one clean run for the day. Then we left haha.
I'm going back tomorrow for last rip of the season.

We were there earlier this summer after a ~10yr hiatus. The trails and features have gotten much bigger, but I still have a great time riding the intermediate trails now. But damn it's expensive, $67+ tax for the day
Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #7173
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Attempted baby snatching at Richmond mall leaves mother shaken - BC | Globalnews.ca

"“What’s it going to take for Vancouver to wake up and realize that we need less bike lanes, we need more facilities for these people,” she said"

Someone tries to steal her baby, still remembers to hate on bike lanes
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #7174
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Looking for a new road helmet?
Kask Mojito (in black) on clearance for $160 and KASK Rapido's from $65 at MEC.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #7175
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

In need of an overhaul on the Madone, was thinking of going to Speed Theory but I remember someone mention an individual at BSP? Does anyone happen to remember the name?