REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #7201
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
I'm a bike noob, I just wanted something I can keep at work(office has its own personal locked storage for us only) so I can ride it on my break or to grab lunch and lock it outside for a bit without worrying since I don't lock my CX bike outside ever.

It definitely was not exactly what I wanted and I probably would have changed somethings like the pedal, seat, and handlebar. I don't really know enough about the crank and cog stuff.

How much did your setup run you approximately after everything if I may ask?
probably $450 out of pocket? Then again, work helped subsidize a lot of it through my health account.

Here's my build:

State black label frame ($780 complete; $400 subsidized from work)
Bontrager inform saddle ($10 off craigslist)
Sram omnium track cranks ($275 fully subsidized from work)
15T track Cog dura ace ($50; subsidized from work)
FSA Pig headset ($30; subsidized from work)
Deda stem and pista bars ($30 craigslist)
Sram rival brakes ($20 off craigslist)
Sram PC1 Chain($7 craigslist)
Mavic Ellipse ($100 off a buddy)
Bontrager 25c R3 tires and continental tubes ($90 maybe? can't remember)
shimano 105 5800 pedals ($130 when on sale; subsidized from work)

I sold off all the stuff that came with the complete bike for like $200.

I also have a white industries 16t track cog that I haven't put back on because my fix is no longer using a flip flop hub.
Advertisement
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #7202
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Does anyone know anyone who knows anything about old Merlin Ti bikes?

Merlin Titanium bike with Campy group and wheels

I went and looked at this bike this afternoon. I didn't think it would fit me, but it's actually pretty darn close. The thing that sketches me out is the fact the current owner bought it at some Richmond Swap n Shop (I honestly didn't understand the guy that well) from someone who brought it from Hong Kong.

There are no markings on the bike. No serial, no markings whatsoever. It's not like they were ground off, it's just the fact there is none. I'm wondering if this is a chinese built Ti frame. The current owner knows very little about it. Doesn't know what year it could be, nothing. Advice?

I want a Ti frame. I've loved them since I was 15 years old. My riding buddy built up a new Argon, so it's time to move on from my Jamis, and I like to be different.

EDIT: Apparently the serials are on the inside of the rear dropout. I asked the owner if he could check for anything markings there for me.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #7203
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

^ bro if there's anyone on this whole rsnet web forum that has the means to build a Ti bike, it's you. Gett'r done

Would you consider a custom Ti bike made by a guy in BC?

They're on quadra island bc and do sick work. Saw one in person, local racer got one done and she loves it.
Www.nakedbicycles.com

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 11-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #7204
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Does anyone know anyone who knows anything about old Merlin Ti bikes?

Merlin Titanium bike with Campy group and wheels

I went and looked at this bike this afternoon. I didn't think it would fit me, but it's actually pretty darn close. The thing that sketches me out is the fact the current owner bought it at some Richmond Swap n Shop (I honestly didn't understand the guy that well) from someone who brought it from Hong Kong.

There are no markings on the bike. No serial, no markings whatsoever. It's not like they were ground off, it's just the fact there is none. I'm wondering if this is a chinese built Ti frame. The current owner knows very little about it. Doesn't know what year it could be, nothing. Advice?

I want a Ti frame. I've loved them since I was 15 years old. My riding buddy built up a new Argon, so it's time to move on from my Jamis, and I like to be different.

EDIT: Apparently the serials are on the inside of the rear dropout. I asked the owner if he could check for anything markings there for me.
Merlin is a US-owned company. They specialized in titanium frames and had a bit of a revival a few years ago where I believe Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry.com had a stake in the company. They are legitimate but not very popular (lacking marketing etc.) and their bikes are not cheap. They are made to specification by the few companies around that still do titanium and steel. Nice bikes, but like I said, not cheap.

I owned a Guru Praemio titanium frameset a while back and sold it to another RS member. I liked the frameset and the Enve fork it came with - it had a different feel that cannot be easily put into words, as compared to aluminum, carbon, and steel.

Ti-frames are rare birds these days. If and when you get a chance to own/ride one, and it's been on your radar? I'd say go for it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #7205

Oh yeah. I'm well aware of Merlin bikes. They are gorgeous and certainly well known in the realm of Ti. I was more curious on actually confirming this bike is a true merlin, rather then a copy with a head tube sticker. The owner got back to me. There is some markings in the dropout, but they don't correlate what I'm reading online. Very possible it could be a one off custom frame though as Merlin did do quite a few of those.

After a little more research, I am slightly skeptical on the purchase as they have an older style BB, and it seems new, non square taper cranks aren't really adaptable. I'll have to do some more research. Since I can't verify the bikes legitimacy, I may just give him an offer on what I think it's worth. If he takes it, he takes it. If not, no big deal. Old Lightspeed's pop up from time to time.

As for Naked Bikes. One of my best friends is from Quadra, and knows that guy. Not really all that well, but he does know him. I don't know the pricing, but I would be interested to check them out. The only person I know who's purchased a frame from him cracked the head tube on the MTB. He warrantied his work, but not the best "only" in person review. I'll look into it, but I don't think I want to put that much into a new bike after all. Although maybe it would make me ride more if I did invest more. lol
Old 11-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #7206

I just saw the pricing for those Naked Bikes. $3800 for the frame/fork. I think that's over my pay grade. haha Those gallery shots are amazing though. Would be so neat to have a bike made to your specifications.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #7207
RS Veteran

I think the more recent Ti frames were all made offshore and do not contain the markings/indications you are looking for.

A lot of the recent Ti bikes, including ones from Marinoni in Quebec, are made off-shore these days. I think Guru was one of the last companies that still made them in-house until Dorel bought them out. Maybe Independent Fabricators still do them in-house, but so few any way.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #7208
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
probably $450 out of pocket? Then again, work helped subsidize a lot of it through my health account.

Here's my build:

State black label frame ($780 complete; $400 subsidized from work)
Bontrager inform saddle ($10 off craigslist)
Sram omnium track cranks ($275 fully subsidized from work)
15T track Cog dura ace ($50; subsidized from work)
FSA Pig headset ($30; subsidized from work)
Deda stem and pista bars ($30 craigslist)
Sram rival brakes ($20 off craigslist)
Sram PC1 Chain($7 craigslist)
Mavic Ellipse ($100 off a buddy)
Bontrager 25c R3 tires and continental tubes ($90 maybe? can't remember)
shimano 105 5800 pedals ($130 when on sale; subsidized from work)

I sold off all the stuff that came with the complete bike for like $200.

I also have a white industries 16t track cog that I haven't put back on because my fix is no longer using a flip flop hub.
Damn, thats not bad, that subsidized frame definitely made the cost more practical in my mind. I think the Contender is close to $900 cad shipped.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #7209
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Marinoni still makes their TI frames in house. Not for long as Mr Marinoni is about to retire.

My winter ride Marinoni Piuma Ti.

Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #7210
RS Veteran

Wow, what a piece of made in china bs that thing is

Old 11-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #7211

Picking up my new bike in 30 minutes
Old 11-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #7212

Apparently i'm excited, because I can't even hold my camera steady. Lol. I think I might part out part of this and do my own little build. I'm pumped. First things first... The brakes are all british... AKA Front brake, right hand. Back brake left hand. Scary.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #7213

Probikekit order received. 2 tires cassette chain and derailleur = $160

No tax

Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #7214
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Apparently i'm excited, because I can't even hold my camera steady. Lol. I think I might part out part of this and do my own little build. I'm pumped. First things first... The brakes are all british... AKA Front brake, right hand. Back brake left hand. Scary.

Interested in the groupset if you're parting out
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #7215

I'll keep you in mind. I was looking at getting some new wheels, then I realized they are Campy specific. Make's things a little more complicated ha.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #7216
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
best place to get new continental wheels? don't want summer slicks, but going to stay with my GP 4000 (if they work, why change to a new brand right?). Going to continue to ride in the winter so ... gotta new new rubber
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #7217

Are the rims 11-speed campys

I am looking for a clincher 11-speed campy wheelset
Old 11-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #7218

Quote:
I'll keep you in mind. I was looking at getting some new wheels, then I realized they are Campy specific. Make's things a little more complicated ha.
What wheels are you looking for?

I may be parting out my Bora One Dark Label 50 Tubular fits Campy..

Don`t need two identical wheels as I`ve got another new set arriving for my other SRAM bike build.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #7219
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Damn, thats not bad, that subsidized frame definitely made the cost more practical in my mind. I think the Contender is close to $900 cad shipped.
Build your own with their frames. All the parts that come with their bike are kinda really shitty. Like, brakes pads are one piece and feel mushy until you replace them with metal backed pads or just replace the entire calipers entirely. The wheels will have to be the first thing to go. Look at this shit:

http://vid1161.photobucket.com/album...205_225036.mp4

Hubs spin true, wheel is true but it is not fully round. Fakk. it's like it got gang raped and can't walk straight. Oh don't mind the squeaking sound it's not the wheels, it's an old furnace that was running in the background. The hubs spin nice, the wheels are shit.

Anyways, their frames are cheap and pretty solid. Paint kinda sucks but they focused on the right elements. Welding is decent but the frames will still be heavier than most big brand names like cannondale and specialized. If you can source a capo frame or langster street, those two will be good.

Also, the last time I checked the prices on their completes went up a lot. If you need help building your bike, I got all the tools to build up a sick fix or single. I borrowed a crank tool from azncreationz but I bought one for myself to take out square taper internal BBs
Old 11-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #7220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post

It's a 10spd groupset. This is the first time i've dealt with Campy stuff, so I don't know if it's interchangeable or not.

I'm looking to stay with a set of clinchers for now though I think.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #7221
ZN6

This happened to the KMC chain that came with my state. i heard a loud snap sound and had to walk the bike home for fear that the link won't hold.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #7222
RS Veteran

Ironic how I saw the photo you posted of the chain link being broken yesterday, but as of the time of this post, the link to the photo is broken.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #7223
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post

Campy hubs are 9/10/11 speed compatible so it would work
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #7224

My Cervelo S2 is for sale

Size 51cm
Full SRAM Red Groupset 10 speed
SRAM Red22 2016 Yaw Front Derailleur
SRAM Cables and Housing (new in spring)
Rotor 3D30+ 52/36 crank
BSA30 Bottom Bracket (new in spring)
Dura Ace 11-27 cassette (new in summer)
Dura Ace chain (new in summer)
K-edge chain catcher
3T Stem 90mm
3T Full Carbon Aeronova Handlebar
Fabric Bar Tape
Vittoria Corsa G+ Cotton Tires
Fizik Arione Saddle

Excellent overall condition. Never laid down. Summer / race bike. Tuned. Email / pm me for more pics.

$2200

Willwong.home(at)gmail.com

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 11-05-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #7225

She's so purdy
This post thanked by: