REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #951
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
How does everyone store their bikes at home?
In the middle of the living room

Advertisement
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #952
I subscribe to Revscene

what do you guys do to prevent sweat from getting into your eyes/onto your glasses??

my buddy rides with a cap and he said that helps a bit.

52CM kona major jake

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...267932717.html

looks like it come with 105's too - solid deal!

Last edited by dat_steve; 09-29-2012 at 09:35 PM.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #953
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
This is for the frame and fork, ONLY.
had my hopes up.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #954
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

What's the market price for a used kona jake the snake 2012? $1000?

105/ultegra
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #955
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
I would say around there.

Be careful with Kona specifications. The only "Ultegra" part on the bike is the rear derailleur and it doesn't make that huge a difference. The rest of the group is 105 spec so they market it as a 105/Ultegra "mix" in order for it to attract attention.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #956

So a quick update. I visited La Bicicletta just now

Went to test ride a Focus Cayo.

Get sized up, give my Id and creditcard over. Go for the test ride.

As I'm going downhill approaching a light on a quiet side street, a fuking bum riding a bike towing a trailer loaded with cargo comes out of a side alley right Infront of me

I hit his trailer, go flying over the handle bars while unclipping out of the pedals

I land on the other side of the trailer, hit the ground ass first and do a forward roll.

I get up immediately thinking this carbon bike is SMASHED in bits...

Luckily nothing happened to the bike except for scuff on the seat and slight mark on the rear derailleur.

Needless to say I was lucky, made it out with only a bruised ass.

Bike was fine. And I bought it.

Wonder how it would have played out if it got smashed....
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #957
RS Veteran

Glad you're okay though. I think you'd have to crash very hard in order for the frame to even have a slight crack. They're very well built. If anything, better than 90% of the carbon fibre rice found on Revscene.

Congrats on the purchase! You should start riding with dat_steve and his friend Chris!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #958
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

oh man... glad you're okay! you should still get a quick check up just in case! you never know if there are any underlying problems :S... (talking from personal experience haha)

which cayo did you get btw? and how much did you pay for it? i was looking at getting a focus too, but not alot of people i know own one =S
GTO-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #959
I subscribe to Revscene

^ focus' are legit! congrats on the purchase 604cefiro
you'd be surprised how sturdy bikes are lol the people riding them will break before the frame does
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #960
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

holy shit! first of all glad youre ok bro! Secondly congrats on the new bike!
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #961

Hey guys. Yea, I'm ok. It's been a few hours, my right ass cheek/hip has tightened up quite a bit. Pretty sore... But it didn't deter me to take a ride with the gf around Richmond

The severity of the crash didn't sink in until after i came home. I think I was pretty lucky. I 100% did a full front flip over the bike trailer, and landed in a "break fall" position on my right side hip on concrete.. I attribute me not getting hurt at all (except for the ass bruise) from the 5 years of BJJ training lol... People walking by, and people driving by came out of their cars to see if I was ok, but I was pretty enraged at the guy i hit for coming out of the alley so randomly... The only thing I was thinking was "Holysh*t im on a test ride and i just crashed bad!"

No scratches on the frame/fork at all. Small scuff on the seat, on both hoods, and a nick on the rear derailleur.

GTO-demon
: I got the Focus Cayo 3.0. It was listed on La Bicicletta's website for $2500 retail. It was on sale for $2099. Includes a full bike fit which I'm going to get done some time this week (usually $185 or something like that).
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #962

^ if Tom does your fit, you got an excellent deal. It's not that their other fitters aren't good, but Tom is more race oriented in his fits (his words) and is their master fitter. Requesting him costs extra, but I fluked out and got him because no one else was available.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #963
RS Veteran

Any particular reason you got the Focus? Did you consider other brands/bikes?

This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #964

^^ For me, the choice was mainly based on the experiences I've received at the local bike shops I've visited in the last few months. That, and my budget of around $2k + tax.

I bought my first bike from cove bikes. Chaz is a great guy there, gave me an excellent deal on my JtS, but they mainly focus on mtb stuff and didn't have much of a road bike selection.

I visited West Point Cycles, and didn't have a good experience. Both my gf and i felt that they tried to sell us something that didn't fit, or tried up selling us into something we couldn't afford, but tried convincing us that it's best to spend double rather than to "cheap out".

BSP in north van were great and had a huge selection of trek and cannondales.

But when it came down to it, I really enjoyed the people at Speed Theory and La Bicicletta. Both places gave me the time of day, chatted me up at length about what my goals were, budget, what i'm currently riding etc. I've only been into cycling since the beginning of summer, so my knowledge is slim on bike tech.

Both Speed Theory and La Bicicletta carried similar brands, but Bicicletta had a better deal and I enjoy riding down to that area.

At the end of the day, what I was really looking for was a good LBS that i can go ride with, hang out at, etc... a place that's kinda in line with what I'm about..

Just like a car shop

For the immediate future tho, I'm looking to do some of their bike maintenance courses, and next year get into something competitive hopefully.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #965
RS Veteran

Ah, okay. Thanks for the thorough explanation.

I like La Bicicletta. The folks there are great and I've bought parts/components from them in the past. Having said that however, there's nothing in their product line in terms of bikes that make it attractive enough for me to shop there.

For me, and this is a personal decision, but the dollar/value-to-bike ratio doesn't win me over. I was hoping to see why you chose a Focus over the other brands but this is a different discussion in itself. I guess you could say, I like to shop for the best bang for buck while maintaining a very specific criteria (or you could just call me a cheap ass.)

This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #966
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
For me, and this is a personal decision, but the dollar/value-to-bike ratio doesn't win me over.
I'd like to think that people buying bikes from la bicicletta aren't overly concerned about value major bikerection every time i walk in there though. dat cervelos
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #967
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
I'd like to think that people buying bikes from la bicicletta aren't overly concerned about value major bikerection every time i walk in there though. dat cervelos
You and Chris must be regulars.

(Half serious.)

This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #968

You guys have any suggestions for a riding route locally here that would "mimmic" the ride from vancouver to whistler? I'm looking for a lot of climbing :P

Big boss at work here wants to ride out from vancouver to whistler mid month.

Gotta get some km's in before then. Looking to do it this sunday.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #969
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Anybody doing the ride to conquer cancer next summer?
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #970
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
You guys have any suggestions for a riding route locally here that would "mimmic" the ride from vancouver to whistler? I'm looking for a lot of climbing :P
Do the Triple Crown - Seymour, Grouse then Cypress.

But seriously, if you want a real hill climb challenge, do those or up SFU. A good "realistic" alternative is to do repeat rides on Dollarton Highway in North Van to Deep Cove because they're rolling hills, similar to what you expect on the S2S.

That, or ride with dat_steve and Alphamale. They're monsters.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #971
I subscribe to Revscene

i haven't tried seymour yet but i found grouse to be much easier than cypress. maybe because the ride to get to the base of cypress is already hard-ish. i hear the S2S is very windy so maybe try something like what bcrdukes suggested and ride somewhere you can work against headwinds. I'd recommend a Richmond loop around the whole city for that but it's super flat...bleh! no hills to 'tack

@Kilinim - I'd consider doing the ride again but 2.5k was honestly a huge commitment that I don't think I could do once more. had a hard enough time milking my networks for donations last year Great great ride though.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Anybody doing the ride to conquer cancer next summer?
Posted via RS Mobile
I did it this year. Not going to do it next year because it cuts into my work season too much. And I need the extra cash from the longer work season if I want to rent a full year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Just do some Cypress repeats if you're up to it.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #973
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Well I'm signed up, hopefully I'll be ready in time. Definitely looking forward to it, getting $ not so much.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #974
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I haven't kept up with this thread so I don't know if it's been discussed but does anyone here use the Strava app when they ride? Essentially, there are certain routes designated throughout the Lower Mainland and uses GPS to time you. It's pretty cool to see how you fair against other riders.

Here's a sprint section I did earlier today, distance was 0.4km, 4m elevation gain:

Last edited by Ilagon; 10-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Ilagon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #975
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Well I'm signed up, hopefully I'll be ready in time. Definitely looking forward to it, getting $ not so much.
Just get some Km's in to get used to staying on a saddle for an extended period of time. Also be ready to ride in the rainy/dirty conditions i found that was the worst part having only been a fair weather rider. Day 1 is pretty easy, no hills really. Day 2 has a few big-ish but short hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilagon View Post

Here's a sprint section I did earlier today, distance was 0.4km, 4m elevation gain:
daaaaayum! i consider myself more of a climber so dudes who can drop cars in sprints always amaze me.