REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #1326
I bringith the lowerballerith

I know this topic has been discussed numerous times before and I've read a lot of discussions about it online. But just wanted to get a feel from the riders here what group set they use n prefer. Shimano or sram. Looking in the future I've been wanted to get a caad10 or perhaps even building my own bike and just collecting n buying parts over time. Is building a bike better in terms or pricing or no? I know it gives you satisfaction and you get the exact bike you want but I can't imagine that these mid range or high end bikes wouldn't be built with quality n performance in mind. Would you guys pick a bike with full carbon frame but let's say shimano 105 or alloy frame but ultegra set.

I'm considering getting a cannondale either running ultegra on my next bike or sram equivalent which I guess either the rival or force.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement

Last edited by kayceeee; 01-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1327
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
I know this topic has been discussed numerous times before and I've read a lot of discussions about it online. But just wanted to get a feel from the riders here what group set they use n prefer. Shimano or sram.
Personal preference only - I prefer SRAM. I came from a Shimano Ultegra 6700 and went to SRAM Rival. I will not look back. Overall and general consensus is SRAM components, on paper, are lighter, require less effort to shift (DoubleTap technology) shorter throws to shift, and fit Asian / smaller hands better. Again, my personal opinion and preference but this was all bang on.

Most guys on here ride Shimano. The only other guy I know who rides on SRAM is Alphamale.

Quote:
Looking in the future I've been wanted to get a caad10 or perhaps even building my own bike and just collecting n buying parts over time. Is building a bike better in terms or pricing or no? I know it gives you satisfaction and you get the exact bike you want but I can't imagine that these mid range or high end bikes wouldn't be built with quality n performance in mind. Would you guys pick a bike with full carbon frame but let's say shimano 105 or alloy frame but ultegra set.
If you have the time, patience and discipline, deals CAN be had, be it online through eBay (best for full gruppos) or locally through PinkBike.com or Craplist etc. Keep in mind though, sometimes, buying a complete bike is better and can save you time/money. Again, deals can be had. You just have to either know the right people/shops and have the time/patience to follow through.

Quote:
I'm considering getting a cannondale either running ultegra on my next bike or sram equivalent which I guess either the rival or force.
Posted via RS Mobile
I was in the same boat as you but managed to find a 2012 Cannondale CAAD-10 4 Rival for $1550 taxes in through Pacific Multisport on Main Street. I brought in my own cockpit (seat, bar, seat post and stem) and with Shimano 105 pedals, my bike weighed in at 17.8lbs. And this is an aluminum frame. You have to pay usually over $2000 and change for an entry level carbon bike to get that weight. I just bought a set of Reynolds Solitude wheels so I'm thinking 17.5lbs now?

Then the whole carbon vs. aluminum debate comes in. So...have fun!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-06-2013 at 03:04 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #1328
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Yea Bicicletta told me. The sale happens on the website

Here's what I figured out on their site.

Bc I've purchased something off their site once,? I'm able to 'recommend' a friend by entering an unregistered email address on their site

In turn, rapha will email out a 10% off coupon. The coupon can be used on their bundle kits.

So I end up emailing myself a 10% coupon, and u can use it on their 15-20% off bundles!

You end up saving ~30% off

So if u ever wanna buy a jersey but not bibs lemme know... Bc I'm looking to get a second pair of bibs
Posted via RS Mobile
Hey 604CEFIRO, I'm thinking of getting their classics bundle. Let me know if you want to refer me. I think if I spend over $150, you get a 10% voucher too.
GREddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #1329
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Pm me ur an email address. Has to be one where u haven't registered on rapha.cc yet
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #1330
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREddie View Post
Hey 604CEFIRO, I'm thinking of getting their classics bundle. Let me know if you want to refer me. I think if I spend over $150, you get a 10% voucher too.
Bawlin outta control, man.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #1331

Hah don't freak yet, he's getting the jersey package, not the $950 classics
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #1332
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

RL Shoes

If any of you guys are looking for a new pair of road shoes, who fit 7.5US, then this is an excellent deal! (Only silver left)
Bontrager RL Road shoes over at trekbikes.com closeout price of $49.99, regular price was $179.99.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1333

I got Friday off. If anyone's game I'm gonna do a leisurely ride starting from richmond to ubc, downtown Stanley park, coffee at musette then back home
Let me know if anyone's down

Rain or shine
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #1334

Rapha sale is on like donkey kong

Sale | Rapha

Some good deals to be had.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #1335
RS Veteran

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #1336
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Hows the fit on their tops? I usually wear mediums for MEC cycling gear, would Rapha gear tend to run smaller? *judging by their model images
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #1337

eddy89: There is an area on the side (right side) that has a fitment guide.

Gives you measurements in both cm and inches. Measure yourself correctly, and you should be fine.

Fit depends on the type of jersey. The classic lines have a more relaxed fit, still an athletic fit.

The pro lines are skin tight, for those who pretty much have a cyclist body, or just really athletic and proportioned.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #1338

By the way... bcrdukes u might shyt urself....

But i've confirmed with La Bicicletta that they are honoring the Rapha sale prices if they have the items in stock.

So for those who don't want to wait for shipping, or want to try on pieces that are on sale that Bicicletta has, you can buy it locally with the same discount rate

BUT, like I've said before, if you do plan on buying it from the website, I can "recommend a friend" off my acccount and give you an additional 10% off coupon. So u can buy it on sale on the website + another 10% off.

HOllluuuuuh
Old 01-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #1339
RS Veteran

Thank goodness there's really nothing I want from the sale.

I kinda want the knitted cap but... must resist!

The only thing I want is the back pack for commuting to/from work.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #1340

I know what u mean... I'm in the same boat. Not much i need... but IF i were to buy anything it would be the soft shell trousers, pro team cross bibs and maybe some socks :P

I've handled the rapha bag before. It's very nice, lots of neat features. Something that i want too! It's on the verge of being a bit too small tho if you commute with a full change of clothes, shoes, and lunch.

I commuted for a while with an under armor backpack. One thing i hate about wearing a backpack is back sweat... and my commute is short... 20 minutes. I have pannier bags on the bike.

Another thing is by day 3, the straps on the bag are so full of sweat that it doesn't dry until the weekend... This was during the summer ...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #1341
RS Veteran

Quote:
I know what u mean... I'm in the same boat. Not much i need... but IF i were to buy anything it would be the soft shell trousers, pro team cross bibs and maybe some socks :P

I've handled the rapha bag before. It's very nice, lots of neat features. Something that i want too! It's on the verge of being a bit too small tho if you commute with a full change of clothes, shoes, and lunch.

I commuted for a while with an under armor backpack. One thing i hate about wearing a backpack is back sweat... and my commute is short... 20 minutes. I have pannier bags on the bike.

Another thing is by day 3, the straps on the bag are so full of sweat that it doesn't dry until the weekend... This was during the summer ...
Looks like we're in the same boat. Sometimes, I will commute by bike to a remote office which is about 20-30 mins (depending on traffic) and I hate having to change out of my biking gear.

I'm thinking maybe with the Rapha jeans, dress shirt/t-shirt etc. all I would need is to pack my shoes in the backpack and away I go.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #1342
RS controls my life!

Quote:
By the way... bcrdukes u might shyt urself....

But i've confirmed with La Bicicletta that they are honoring the Rapha sale prices if they have the items in stock.

So for those who don't want to wait for shipping, or want to try on pieces that are on sale that Bicicletta has, you can buy it locally with the same discount rate

BUT, like I've said before, if you do plan on buying it from the website, I can "recommend a friend" off my acccount and give you an additional 10% off coupon. So u can buy it on sale on the website + another 10% off.

HOllluuuuuh
thanks again for recommending me. how does it work? do I wait for an e-mail from you or Rapha to get the discount? cause, haven't received any yet do I just put my registered e-mail when I about to pay for my order then? want a Rapha long sleeve jersey so bad.
PHATFLIP_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #1343

You should have received an email. Check your spam box bc I got the confirmation note on the website stating it went through.

In the email there will be a link and also a coupon code that's a bunch of uppercase letters

You can either click the link or copy/paste the code and enter it while checking out

[UPDATE]

I just tested it and sent myself a referral and it worked instantly. I also forwarded one to both your emails... Not sure why you're not getting them.

Probably in your spam

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 01-09-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #1344

bcrdukes: When you sold your old bike, how much did u get for it? And did u sell it on Craigslist?

I'm looking at the possibility of selling my 2012 kona jake the snake. I'm wondering what avenues are best to get the word out, other than Craigslist ...

Any forums u know of?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1345
RS Veteran

^
I had it listed on Craigslist and also on Pinkbike.com. I got a fair amount of interest on Pinkbike but equally just as many from Craigslist. I ended up selling to a guy on Craigslist as he was the first to show up with cash in hand.

I bought it for $1000 and change, got a $100 refund due to shipping and managed to sell it for $1100 after riding it for a season. The bike was cheap because they were clearing the last two out and it was a one-day sale so I lucked out. It also sold quickly because it had an Ultegra 6700 group. The group itself was worth more than my asking price. Edit: Oh, I just remembered. I also sold my Kona mountain bike and Kona fixie on Craigslist.

It may be tough to sell and to buy a bike at this time of year simply because...it's cold and nobody likes riding in the cold (except for you and azncreationz.) You may or may not be able to sell as quickly but hopefully, nobody lowballs you hard.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #1346

604CEFIRO: I think you'll have a slightly easier time selling on eBay, especially since it's a Jake the Snake. I actually have that as one of my saved searches on there. Every JTS has sold (unless it had some high asking price). I'm not sure how much you're going to ask, but I've seen a couple 2012's sell for around $1200 locally, and they were brand new.
Of course, if you go the eBay route, then you have to package the bike, ship, accept Paypal, etc... where as Craigslist is dealing locally with cash. Like BCRDukes said, it's a tough time to be selling bikes unless it's priced ridiculously cheap, and even then, you still have to deal with scammers and flakers. I have 3 bikes listed in Craigslist for the past 4 months, and all I've been getting is spam!
Good luck with your sale though!

On another note, anyone need any parts? (Fenders, lights, tires, brakes, locks, etc..) I got too much stuff in my pile again.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #1347
RS Veteran

Just an FYI - shipping a bike is a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS! NOT WORTH IT! DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
On another note, anyone need any parts? (Fenders, lights, tires, brakes, locks, etc..) I got too much stuff in my pile again.
Any chance you have a SRAM Force BB30 crankset?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Just an FYI - shipping a bike is a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS! NOT WORTH IT! DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Any chance you have a SRAM Force BB30 crankset?
AGREED! Shipping a bike is a huge PITA! And it costs quite a bit from here to the States. And one time I tried to ship from Pt. Roberts, and got pulled into customs, and the guy basically chewed my head off...last time I'll do that!
Sorry, no, I don't have a BB30 Crankset, but you just misseed out on one on Pinkbike! SRAM Force crankset - Pinkbike
I'll keep my eyes peeled for one, since I usually skip over anything BB30 as I don't have any bikes with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #1349
I subscribe to Revscene

anyone up for a ride tomorrow evening?? i haven't touched my bikes in months and it's supposed to be clear at night. can't decide if i want to ride the fixie or road hmm.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #1350
RS Veteran

Nobody can keep up with a CAT 1 racer like you