REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #1651
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I was reading it doesn't have any sort of interval trainer, is that true?
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #1652
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

I could imagine the iPhone would run out of battery super fast if u run a tracking app and have a hrm on running, and data... I couldn't see it working for a ride longer than 3 hrs? I Also find it annoying fiddling with a phone when riding (especially in cold or wet weather). And no ones gonna mount their iPhone on a bike.

Maybe look into a bike computer with hrm cadence speed (and GPS)
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #1653
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Anyone go to the sales??? I went to Cap's in Sapperton, some good items on sale. Door crashers went pretty fast. All Bontrager clothes and all shoes are 50% off.
South Shore's sale was mediocre compared to previous years. Not as much stock, lots of old stock from past years sales. No 2013 bikes for sale of course. Road bike tires weren't discounted much at all (all for $49). Best deals were bike racks for your car hitch, for $10. All gone of course. All clothing/shoes are 50% there too if you're interested.
I went to Caps this morning right at 10 and managed to pick up the Trek 2.1 They didn't have any helmets I liked so I didn't get one yet. Picked up Shimano shoes @ 50% off and clipless pedals
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1654
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
I could imagine the iPhone would run out of battery super fast if u run a tracking app and have a hrm on running, and data... I couldn't see it working for a ride longer than 3 hrs? I Also find it annoying fiddling with a phone when riding (especially in cold or wet weather). And no ones gonna mount their iPhone on a bike.

That's what you think. Just bought my mount But your right with the battery life. 3-4 Hours it seems.

EDIT: I also just realized, for those times you need extra battery life, just throw the phone into airplane mode. GPS still works(On the 4s and 5), and battery life extends x3 at least with the screen off. The only limiting factor is the app. If it needs Data for the map system (as opposed to preloaded maps), it could be an issue.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-01-2013 at 05:45 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #1655

I guess u can keep the screen off on the iPhone. But If you can't look at the screen when you need while riding it kinda defeats the purpose of mounting it?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #1656
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I was reading it doesn't have any sort of interval trainer, is that true?
SportsTracker doesn't have any workout plans if that's what you're asking (correct me if I've misunderstood!) I'm not an iPhone user so I can't answer that question directly. However, what I did was follow Chris Carmichael's interval plan on a Kurt Kinetic trainer and did intervals that way. It helped me lose a lot of weight if that's what you're looking to do but I'm sure interval training can help in other ways. If anything, the HRM has been a useful tool to gauge my performance and to adjust accordingly, both from a diet and performance perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post

The SportsTracker HRM uses Bluetooth so I think the problem source will primarily be GPS and data network usage sucking up power. Bluetooth power - not so much. I've managed to run my SportsTracker HRM for a full 8 hours before my Nokia started to cry for a recharge. I rarely, if ever, look at my phone. I simply tuck it away in my jersey pockets and analyze the data after my ride on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I went to Caps this morning right at 10 and managed to pick up the Trek 2.1 They didn't have any helmets I liked so I didn't get one yet. Picked up Shimano shoes @ 50% off and clipless pedals
Posted via RS Mobile
If you don't mind, could you share with us how much you got the 2.1 for? If I recall correctly, it's a 105-spec'ed aluminum frame bike.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #1657
i like gifs

699 + tax

It comes with a SRAM apex groupset
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #1658
RS Veteran

SRAM =

Got yourself an awesome deal. Now go ride!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #1659
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
THAT WAS YOU? I was there too, the other Azn guy standing around looking at the bikes and behind you in line to pay, as you asked for pedals. You got a pretty good deal on that bike!
You may want to skip South Shore for helmets, didn't have as many as Caps Sapperton.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #1660
I bringith the lowerballerith

just bought myself a barely used 2012 Supersix 105. On Craigslist. Can't wait to ride it outside!

edit:

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by kayceeee; 03-02-2013 at 07:32 AM.
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #1661
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Have only heard positive stuff but they bilk you on prices.
I can already attest to this. The Felt F65X (one of the bikes I short listed), MSRP price $1750, Mighty Riders selling for $1900...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
same, my coworkers says the local track scene seems to be pretty keen on them. oh and the hipsters with sw8 fixies. i checked out the one in kits looking for a set of nitto drops...but at $80+?
They were fitting a guy when I came in and the owner? Ed? seemed to know his stuff concerning bike fitment and cycling kinetics.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #1662
RS Veteran

I don't think Ed is the owner. If I recall correctly, his business card said manager.

And to sell above MSRP = ouch.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #1663
i like gifs

Quote:
THAT WAS YOU? I was there too, the other Azn guy standing around looking at the bikes and behind you in line to pay, as you asked for pedals. You got a pretty good deal on that bike!
You may want to skip South Shore for helmets, didn't have as many as Caps Sapperton.
Haha! I was looking at the 2.1, when one of the sales guys brought another customer over.

"You'll probably want to try this 52 Trek bike we have as a door crasher. Oh, nevermind, looks like you just missed it"

Anyone go to the bike show today? How are the sales? Deciding between going to the show or hitting up a couple of other shops to check out their sales this weekend
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1664

I went to the bike show today, just got home. There's only a couple of dealers selling goods (Skiis & Bikes being the main one). As for deals, they did have 50% off regular priced items. The best deal would be the Specialized S-WORKS helmets. There were only 2, and they were MTN ones. Still, regular price at 209, now for $104.50 is a sweet deal for that helmet. Other than that, there was another booth selling helmets for 50% off as well, think it was called MORE+BIKES. If you're headed to the show, print off the 'save $4' coupon on the website.
If it makes feel better about your purchase, your Trek 2.1 was for sale at $899 today at the show.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #1665

Hope u guys had a chance to ride today. Was perfect.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #1666
RS Veteran

Went for a ride with Alphamale today.

I hit the wall / bonked. Worst feeling - EVER!
Spoiler!

I fueled up this morning prior to the ride - bowl of Vector, Granny Smith apple, toast and 2 eggs and still bonked. Hydration wasn't a problem. I'm not sure what's wrong.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #1667

^ what the heck, that's a lot of food to eat no?
I only ate 1 Clif bar this morning and ran 12km on it. Then I had a Duffin's Torta sandwich and rode 15kms. Of course, do what's right for you, but I think you're eating too much.

On a bad note, 1 week before the UBC Tri, and my shifter decided to give up! FML!
Got to either use my old steel steed, or the smaller Jake the Snake now. I guess I should count myself as lucky, to have another bike to use.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #1668
RS Veteran

Quote:
I think you're eating too much.
I thought so too but prior to this ride, I had maybe a bowl of Vector and toast with peanut butter. The bonk would kick in a lot sooner and on the ride home, I was done like dinner. This occurrence of the bonk has been by far, the worst.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1669
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Maybe you're pushing yourself a bit too hard too early and not pacing appropriately and listening to your body. Sometimes if you have a great ride, you expect to be able to replicate it on subsequent rides. But if your body isn't up to it and you keep pushing, its easy to over exert yourself. That's the trouble with the monitors and the electronics, it tells you where you're at and you expect to be at a certain level but you end up ignoring what your body is telling you.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #1670
i like gifs

It was such a beautiful day today! Took my bike out for her first ride along False Creek, up Broughton, and around Stanley Park. Felt like dying during that one big hill up Stanley Park
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #1671

Quote:
It was such a beautiful day today! Took my bike out for her first ride along False Creek, up Broughton, and around Stanley Park. Felt like dying during that one big hill up Stanley Park
Which pedals did you end up getting? Get clipless?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #1672
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Took my first ride up the causeway through prospect point today as well. Was expecting more of a challenge LOL. Its fun passing up the dudes in full cycling kit, and then the sweet ride down following prospect point.

Need some new routes, 40km just isn't cutting it anymore.

tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #1673
Better safe than Surrey

Rode to the Bicycle show yesterday... absolutely gorgeous day!

Disappointed in the show, only a couple booths from MFG's and hardly any bicycles for sale. I'm assuming the sales were picked off in the first day.

bcr- Strange about your bonk, seems like you had plenty of fuel... maybe you didn't digest fully before riding?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #1674
i like gifs

Quote:
Which pedals did you end up getting? Get clipless?
I ended up getting the Shimano M520 pedals, because I like how the shoes with those kinds of cleats can be used for light walking as well. I also got a pair of Shimano M087 shoes. I think they're mountain bike shoes, but I liked the look of them and not having to worry about carrying an extra pair of shoes around
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #1675
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
bcr- Strange about your bonk, seems like you had plenty of fuel... maybe you didn't digest fully before riding?
I think it was that and not enough sleep.