REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #201
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Now here is MY question for you road experts
I am on the market for a road bike as well, and I'm narrowed down my choices to the Ventura Race last years...my price would be same as a customers $1150-20% with team assist coupon....or I can get a GT Series 3 (highest end that GT has avaliable for staff) for ~$450ish.....the series 3 has Carbon fork and full Tiagra groupo....so $450 vs $920...now is the 105 component and the Carbon seat stay still "worth it"....can't decide...
And how much would I be able to sell the full groupo on the series 3 for brand new? Cause my other option is to buy the series 3, sell all the tiagra stuff and get all 105s or Ultegras parts at cost...
Even if you have access to parts at cost, it isn't worthwhile because OEM parts bundled with complete bikes are discounted very heavily. You probably won't be able to recover much cost selling your entry level parts even if they are brand new.

Now I'm not too sure about road bikes, but for mountain bikes at least, the consensus is to buy the best frame you can and as long as the parts and components are serviceable, they are useable. Parts like cassettes, derailleurs, cranksets are expendable parts as they are subject to wear and tear with regular use. When the Sora/Tiagra stuff wears out from use, then you can upgrade to the better 105/Ult level gear. Things like frame and fork do not wear out with that level of regularity and form the foundation of your ride. Unless the parts upgrade is huge and the price is ridiculously too good to pass up, I wouldn't put as large a premium on the parts spec.

In your situation, I personally would stick with the GT even though it has the lesser frame. It's half the price, less bells and whistles of course, but you have to consider if you will even stay in the sport long term or want to upgrade after a year or two. In either case, a used bike you got on a pro-deal will be easier to sell at closer to the price you actually paid as opposed to the Jamis where anybody has access to that pricing. $500 doesn't get you much for a road bike even in the used market but $900 opens many more options up, so you shouldn't have too much trouble selling the GT in the future if you so choose.
Advertisement
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #202
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^^good post, informative. Btw why do the bikes at sportchek not have pedals on them? Are they installed when u buy them or do u need to purchase separately? also can u take the bikes out for test ride?
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #203
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,504 Times in 4,308 Posts
Most bikes don't come with pedals by default. They don't because every bike has its application and with that comes its pedals. You can purchase different pedals for road and mountain bikes respectively and people have different preference with brands (i.e. Shimano, Look, Crank Brothers etc.) It's all about preference.

I don't know about SportCheck but I would assume they would let you take the bike for a test ride pending you leave your credit card and drivers license with them. They would probably put on some generic platform pedals.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #204
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'd wager that all bikes at Sportchek will come with pedals. They probably leave them off so its easier for them to stack bikes tightly side to side without pedals getting hung up on its neighbouring bike's pedal. That's my assumption anyways. When I worked at Sport Chek I was never told not to install pedals but that was many years ago
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #205
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I'd wager that all bikes at Sportchek will come with pedals. They probably leave them off so its easier for them to stack bikes tightly side to side without pedals getting hung up on its neighbouring bike's pedal. That's my assumption anyways. When I worked at Sport Chek I was never told not to install pedals but that was many years ago
That was my assumption too
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #206
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
All of our higher end road and XC bikes do not come with pedals.
For the exact reason someone mentioned above, most riders buying $1000+ bikes will likely want to be able to pick their own style pedals. Platform, clipless, different brands etc.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #207

Quote:
Even if you have access to parts at cost, it isn't worthwhile because OEM parts bundled with complete bikes are discounted very heavily. You probably won't be able to recover much cost selling your entry level parts even if they are brand new.

Now I'm not too sure about road bikes, but for mountain bikes at least, the consensus is to buy the best frame you can and as long as the parts and components are serviceable, they are useable. Parts like cassettes, derailleurs, cranksets are expendable parts as they are subject to wear and tear with regular use. When the Sora/Tiagra stuff wears out from use, then you can upgrade to the better 105/Ult level gear. Things like frame and fork do not wear out with that level of regularity and form the foundation of your ride. Unless the parts upgrade is huge and the price is ridiculously too good to pass up, I wouldn't put as large a premium on the parts spec.

In your situation, I personally would stick with the GT even though it has the lesser frame. It's half the price, less bells and whistles of course, but you have to consider if you will even stay in the sport long term or want to upgrade after a year or two. In either case, a used bike you got on a pro-deal will be easier to sell at closer to the price you actually paid as opposed to the Jamis where anybody has access to that pricing. $500 doesn't get you much for a road bike even in the used market but $900 opens many more options up, so you shouldn't have too much trouble selling the GT in the future if you so choose.
Thanks for the post
Will thank you when I get back home to a computer.
I'm leaning more towards GT too....too cheap to spend the extra $500+ for a better bike.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #208
RS Veteran

I don't want to rain on your parade but GT is, unfortunately, not a very well known/popular brand.

I know because my co-worker is trying to get rid of one of his GT road bikes, well below market price. No bites.

Some food for thought.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade but GT is, unfortunately, not a very well known/popular brand.

I know because my co-worker is trying to get rid of one of his GT road bikes, well below market price. No bites.

Some food for thought.
Yea fully aware GT is not as well known for road as they are for mountain....but Jamis's staff pricing sucks....
and I'd rather ride a brand that my store carries..so GT or Jamis....unless we manage to pick up cannondale...but thats not suppose to be another 3-4 years.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #210
I subscribe to Revscene

just picked up a cannondale carbon supersix with 105/ultegra!
letting go of my c'dale synapse because it's slightly too big. excited to take this thing out - what a difference!

pics to follow when i get it adjusted
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #211
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
^^^ Nice, where did you get it?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #212
I subscribe to Revscene

off pinkbike, some good deals coming up lately
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #213
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

sweeet! cant wait for pics, how much you pay for it? If you dont mind me asking
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #214
RS Veteran

I saw the ad on PinkBike! Good find!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #215
I subscribe to Revscene

no pics of the new rig just yet, but here's the one that i'm putting up for sale now (posted on cl and pinkbike, mention rs for rs deal)

put back stock stem as the chode stem is now on the fixie lol

Last edited by dat_steve; 05-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #216
RS Veteran

^
I may know of a possible buyer. Could you PM me with details of your bike and/or ad, please?

Edit: Oops. Found your ad. Said person needs a 51/52. Sorry!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-24-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #217
I subscribe to Revscene

darn! I mean I rode comfortably with the set up in the picture. I guess I have a long-ish torso so i didn't feel stretched out up top (shorter stem helped). My main beef was that my inseam is ~30in and i had like 5mm of standover height, and the extended headtube meant i couldn't get as low as i'd like. That said, this thing is a cruising/climbing champ ideal for someone 5'8-10.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #218
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Wow I just saw the post on Pink Bike. Sweet bike!
I just picked up a 2011 Cannondale Caad10 105 not too long ago and its amazing.
My pedals and shoes just came and I can't wait to try them out.

bcr, we gotta go ride this weekend.
GREddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #219
RS Veteran

You're too hardcore man. I ain't riding with you anymore.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #220
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREddie View Post
Wow I just saw the post on Pink Bike. Sweet bike!
I just picked up a 2011 Cannondale Caad10 105 not too long ago and its amazing.
My pedals and shoes just came and I can't wait to try them out.

bcr, we gotta go ride this weekend.
i want/wanted a caad sooo bad, i was close to pulling the trigger when i saw the ad for my Six. couldn't resist the carbon

what do you guys cruise at on average for a solo ride? i'm afraid to ride with anyone here since i'm probably a lot slower lol
going down the iona stretch can keep 25-28 comfy with a headwind, coming back with the tailwind i've gotten up to 35+ cruising
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #221
RS Veteran

Fastest on my Scott hybrid is 34km/h but in all honesty, I'm anywhere from 20 - 30km/h. I should lower my handle bars as I'm a bit too high up right now.

I don't want to ride with GREddie anymore. That guy is too fast.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #222
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
LoL....I just cruise the Seawall at around 15km/h....
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #223
I subscribe to Revscene

i rock the seawall at full speed constantly yelling YOUR LEFT! to chicks on beach cruisers and stare them down as i roll past.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #224
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

haha bcr lies. I get passed by hipsters in their rolled up skinny jeans riding their fixies.

pK, good call on the carbon, such a sexy bike... so jealous
GREddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #225
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Just hit 55.6 KM/H yesterday coming down cambie lol on a mountain bike with mountain tires too! Passed a guy in the bike lane who just gave me a wtf look.

Whats your guys top speeds?
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote