REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #276
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Theres a 67 yr old at work that no one I know can touch on a bike.
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #277
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I've got an older Cannondale CAAD9 and damn the new CAAD10 is beautiful!
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #278
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

hey pics not showing up, would love to see the image
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #279

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Hey guys I'm planning to buy a fixie for my girlfriend. We were looking at the Macargi RD269 and she's ridden the 53cm and it felt slightly large for her height at 5'3". One size down is the 48cm but we couldn't try that one out. We were contacting this guy from Craigslist who has been ordering them in and selling them for $320 firm which I think is a pretty fair price based on eBay pricing.

I couldn't find this bike to be sold elsewhere locally. Now however I think we'll be buying it off eBay though because the seller hasn't returned any calls after that one time we met and tried out the bike.

Now my questions are, would 48cm be too small for her height at 5'3"?

When she rode the 53cm with the seat set the lowest, she was tip toeing on one foot while the other in the air, is this normal for a fixie?

Anywhere else I can look at to buy a fixie for under $350 brand new locally?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Tried searching but it was all motorbikes, didn't wanna make a new thread either. Hope you guys could help us out!
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #280
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
When she rode the 53cm with the seat set the lowest, she was tip toeing on one foot while the other in the air, is this normal for a fixie?
LOL! No! 53cm is too tall for her! You should be able to stand between the bike without it touching your crotch and with the bike standing straight up. If not, it's too big.

If I recall correctly from our meet last Friday, a 48 or 50cm should work for her. How tall is she anyway? Fixies could be bad for your knees so maybe consider something else on the safe side. Also check out BikesDirect.com for their fixies. (not local.) It's going to be pretty hard to find a fixie for $350 locally.

Off-topic:

I saw this and thought of azncreations, woob and LiquidTurbo.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
LOL! No! 53cm is too tall for her! You should be able to stand between the bike without it touching your crotch and with the bike standing straight up. If not, it's too big.

If I recall correctly from our meet last Friday, a 48 or 50cm should work for her. How tall is she anyway? Fixies could be bad for your knees so maybe consider something else on the safe side. Also check out BikesDirect.com for their fixies. (not local.) It's going to be pretty hard to find a fixie for $350 locally.
I asked her to stand over the top tube and she was aaaaalmost flat on both feet. She's exactly 5'3". I wish there was a 50cm but they only came in 48 and 53 =/ We like how it rides and how light it is etc so I think we'll stick with fixies lol. Thanks bcrdukes!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #282
RS Veteran

If she's 5'3, she'll have to compromise with a 48. 53 is way too tall for her. She should be at the very least be able to flat foot it while standing between the top tube.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #283
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Hahaha speaking of the Ironman, I met one of BC's top triathletes while on the ferry home from my bike tour of Salt Spring. His name is Wade Carlson and he's training for an Ironman hahahaha.

He came in 2nd in the Shawnigan Lake Half-Iron: Results: Subaru Shawnigan Lake Triathlon

Regarding the gf's bike, 53 is likely to be WAYYY too big. I'm 5'9" and I ride a 52.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #284

Quote:
If she's 5'3, she'll have to compromise with a 48. 53 is way too tall for her. She should be at the very least be able to flat foot it while standing between the top tube.
Ordered a 48cm Macargi RD269 on eBay since bikesdirect was all sold out and such. $310 CAD shipped to PR. Hope all goes well
Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #285
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Im stuck between a 54 and a 51 (only because they come in those 2 sizes), Im about 5'9-10. When I sit on the 54, i can just clear the top tube flat footed with barely a finger in between. But 51 seems a lil small for me. Is it worse for a bike to too big or small for the rider?
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #286
I subscribe to Revscene

they're both bad :P if I absolutely had to pick i'd go for the 54..i'm 5'7 with a 30in inseam and the bikes i ride are 51-52. stand over height is one way of measuring size but reach is also very important. you don't want to drop a paycheque on something that you're going to regret though - i say find something that's your size

i'm always scrounging CL and PB so if you drop us your measurements/budget im sure we can help find you something
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #287

I think it depends on your body type and the bike's geometry. I would say throw the potential frames on a trainer and adjust saddle height accordingly to determine the best potential fit. At least, that's how Cap's determined the size for me is 52. For reference I am 5'9" with a 33" inseam (not my pants inseam).
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #288

Here's a pic of my bike after a quick ride after work. A clean bike is a happy bike. I apologize for the crappy cell phone photo.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #289
I subscribe to Revscene

looking good Prelude. what's that like 5 of us with cannondales now?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #290
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
No Specialized riders
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by pK-diU- View Post
looking good Prelude. what's that like 5 of us with cannondales now?
Thanks. I've had the bike since new in 2009 and have been itching to upgrade some parts. The Tiagra/Sora mix has served me well with no problems but would love to upgrade to a 105 gruppo in the future.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #292
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Starting June 6th Sportchek is running the "spend and get" promotion.
Spend $100 or more and receive a $20 promo gift card
Spend $250 or more and receive a $50 promo gift card
Buy the Ventura race this time with the Team assist coupon and you would get the 20% off AND a $50 promo gift card. Not a bad deal.
Hey guys, just had my first encounter with this
Unfortunately the team assist coupon states "cannot be combined with any other offer" so these two promo doesn't stack

Sorry guys
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #293
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm thinking of doing a road bike frame up build from a Rocky Mountain alu/carbon frame, nothing too fancy just middle of the range type stuff. I'm not very well versed in the road scene, but I'm quite familiar to the mountain bike side of things. I've converted my mtb into a pseudo hybrid but it doesn't get me stoked to get out and fire off 50k on the road.

A couple of starter questions for you guys:
1. Standard or compact cranksets? I don't think Vancouver in general is considered too hilly or mountainous to require compact, I may be wrong though
2. Do the make of brakes make huge a difference? I see Tektro spec'd on a lot of the low-mid range bikes, and I know that Tiagra/105 is the general quality entry level range.
3. Where is best to look for used/preowned components? I browse Pinkbike and CL quite regularly.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #294
RS Veteran

Question for woob / LiquidTurbo / pK-diU- and all you roadies who go on 234141km rides.

When you go on 1hr+ rides, what do you pack in forms of food or fuel to keep you going? And when do you start to feel like you're hitting the wall?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #295
I subscribe to Revscene

pretty sure i'm nowhere near as crazy as these other dudes but pre-ride i'll have an egg or two with some yogurt and toast...pretty much whatever i can scrounge up in the morning. i'll eat a snack bar every 50km or so. some of my buddies are into the gels and such, i just haven't tried them out myself but they seem like a good way to keep energy levels up.

if i feel like i'm seriously going to hit a wall i'd just pull over and enjoy the scenery for 5 minutes or so. i just pretend like i'm adjusting my seat or something if other guys are passing by :P

"you okay there, bro?"
"yeah, just testing my seat angle. no sweat, thanks bro"
Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #296
RS Veteran

How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #297

Quote:
Question for woob / LiquidTurbo / pK-diU- and all you roadies who go on 234141km rides.

When you go on 1hr+ rides, what do you pack in forms of food or fuel to keep you going? And when do you start to feel like you're hitting the wall?
Depends, usually after an hour i need something, for me i keep a fig newton in my back jersey, and if you splash something with carbohydrates either every once in a while, you get a pretty good jump in performance.

Also anyone whos getting a tad addicted on the topic of cycling,

https://secure.rodale.com/webapp/wcs...ferId=CAD53024

20 dollars for a year is hard to beat!

Last edited by bd0n; 06-06-2012 at 10:40 PM.
bd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
A couple of starter questions for you guys:
1. Standard or compact cranksets? I don't think Vancouver in general is considered too hilly or mountainous to require compact, I may be wrong though
2. Do the make of brakes make huge a difference? I see Tektro spec'd on a lot of the low-mid range bikes, and I know that Tiagra/105 is the general quality entry level range.
3. Where is best to look for used/preowned components? I browse Pinkbike and CL quite regularly.
1. I ride a compact: 50/34 with a 12/27 rear cassette. You probably will hardly use 53-12 anyway unless you're planning on pulling a 35+mph sprint in the near future. Also, downhill speed can be achieved with a good tuck instead of pedalling on your biggest rings. I hardly use even the 50-12 on my compact. I have, however, used the 34-27 for steep hills in Vancouver (18% grade for 140m near my house) and elsewhere. But really, it's up to you. If you foresee yourself not ever needing the small ring, then by all means get a standard double.

Here's a nice little webpage that calculates achievable speeds at certain cadences and gear ratios.

2. Tektro has served me well so far. I hear the pads make a big difference, though, so I plan to upgrade to Kool Stop pads once the Tektro once wear siginificatly.

3. PB and CL are the big ones. MEC Online Gear Swap may also be worth a look.

Quote:

For 25-30km rides: 1 bottle of water

For ~50km rides: 1 bottle of water and a few Clif Shot Blocks (essentially candy that's easy to grab out of a jersey pocket)

For >70km: 2 bottles of water, a bunch of Shot Blocks, and around one cup of salted roasted almonds (I never eat all of them, though). The protein from the almonds is nice to have because BCAAs increase resistance to fatigue in glycogen-depleted subjects. Specifically, leucine (one such BCAA) is found in moderate quantities in almonds.

The thing to remember for long rides is to stay hydrated and keep topping yourself up with energy. This means drinking before you feel thirsty and eating before you feel hungry. Otherwise, you'll bonk. I don't usually "hit the wall" if I eat and drink enough before and during the ride.

I haven't hit a serious wall since around a month ago at a 50km R2CC training ride that I hadn't prepared for (see: hadn't ridden in a month). On that ride, once past the 30km mark, whenever the road went uphill I just said "fuck it" and spun my lowest gear all the way up. That's usually my plan if I bonk. Also, if you're riding with a group, just sit in their slipstream until you've recovered. Try to hold their wheel as long as possible, because once you've been dropped, you're done. Drafting makes a huge difference.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #299
RS Veteran

Where are you doing your 25-30km rides?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #300
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?
5"7, on the brink of 150 so you get an idea of my size-ish. featherweight for sure!

the iona stretch itself is a good 14k (both ways) i believe. just tack on a loop of richmond and you get yourself a nice 50k flat ride.