REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #301
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Holy.

I'm doing 10 to 20KMs in the city of Vancouver itself with a combination of hills and the like and after an hour, I'm trying to keep up.

Mind you, I'm 5'8 and 220lbs with a large frame. I'm no lightweight for sure.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #302
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Where are you doing your 25-30km rides?
~30:
1. A loop around the Fraser River between the Cambie Street Skytrain bridge and Queensborough using Kent Ave in Van and River Road in Richmond. It's pretty flat other than some spots on Marine and Southpoint Dr in Burnaby. ~32km

2. A loop up the Ontario hill, east along the Ridgway bike route, pick a hill to go south back to the river, and close the loop along the Kent bike route. The only big hill is Ontario Street. 0km

~40:
3. Out-and-back to UBC along Kent/Heather/57th/Marine. >40km

4. Out-and-back to Iona Beach <40km. I'll often throw in the end of my Queensborough loop to get 50+km with some small hills.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #303
RS Veteran

I'm doing something wrong.

I keep picking routes with a fuck tonne of steep ass hills.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #304
RS controls my life!

Quote:
I'm doing something wrong.

I keep picking routes with a fuck tonne of steep ass hills.
work them legs

Anyone planning to go to the mec bikefest on fri-sun?
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #305
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I'll be at MEC BikeFest, and maybe at Ride For Charity..

Who made it through Bike To Work Week? I got tons of freebies from the commuter stations!

bcrdukes: 100km rides minimum from here on out! Join the cult..hehehe..and learn to love the hills.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #306
RS Veteran

^
Sorry cult leader. I'm not joining you guys!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #307
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pK-diU- View Post
so true. scary moment for me today - was going through ubc and then i thought it'd be fun to see how fast i could go down that hill right after the highway (kits side), big ringed sprinted then tucked in and got up to 58+km/h (i was scared to look down and check after that) then i realized what would happen if i hit a patch of fine dirt or an unexpected bump in the road then i hit the brakes right away.

have to say it felt pretty good though lol felt like i was in Tron
Haha, sucks to lose your head when you're in a moment like that. I hit 58km/h on my MTB once and was more concerned about not being able to see with all the tears streaming out of my eyes. I have a friend who's a pro triathlete, and she was heavily affected in the head when she had a bad speed wobble induced crashed...I've never encountered anything like that but that just sounds hugely scary to me.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #308

That's pretty scary. How fast was she going?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #309
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #310
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Question for woob / LiquidTurbo / pK-diU- and all you roadies who go on 234141km rides.

When you go on 1hr+ rides, what do you pack in forms of food or fuel to keep you going? And when do you start to feel like you're hitting the wall?
Once I did a ride out to UBC and back without eating a single thing.. probably not the smartest idea.

These days, at minimum I'll bring two water bottles 4-5 Cliff Bars, use a hammer gel or two. On the recent spout of hot weather I stopped in a Chevron and got a 2 of those gatorade things for 3$. They fit in bike bottle racks too!

The last ride I did over 100km I felt like I could've kept going... ran out of time in a day. My next big ride will be out to Squamish and back (200km roundtrip). (Anyone want to join me? lol) Will do a trip report including what to eat.

The night before rides I'll eat a huge dinner.

I think for distance, the best thing to do is make one the most efficient possible on a bike. Ride with road cleats and everything properly adjusted. I think the culmination of the small things make all the difference. After all, you are the engine and the bike is just the vehicle. Keeping tires topped up to perfect PSI has a lot to do with it as is dealing with wind resistance. Riding with a tailwind is really helpful. I think also speed is a great factor. Just like how someone could walk all day, compared to running all day, you have to find a happy medium of gearing and cadence. A lot of people are using too low of a gear for max efficiency.

Last edited by LiquidTurbo; 06-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #311
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Once I did a ride out to UBC and back without eating a single thing.. probably not the smartest idea.

These days, at minimum I'll bring two water bottles 4-5 Cliff Bars, use a hammer gel or two. On the recent spout of hot weather I stopped in a Chevron and got a 2 of those gatorade things for 3$. They fit in bike bottle racks too!

The last ride I did over 100km I felt like I could've kept going... ran out of time in a day. My next big ride will be out to Squamish and back (200km roundtrip). (Anyone want to join me? lol) Will do a trip report including what to eat.

The night before rides I'll eat a huge dinner.

I think for distance, the best thing to do is make one the most efficient possible on a bike. Ride with road cleats and everything properly adjusted. I think the culmination of the small things make all the difference. After all, you are the engine and the bike is just the vehicle. Keeping tires topped up to perfect PSI has a lot to do with it as is dealing with wind resistance. Riding with a tailwind is really helpful. I think also speed is a great factor. Just like how someone could walk all day, compared to running all day, you have to find a happy medium of gearing and cadence. A lot of people are using too low of a gear for max efficiency.
HAve you done the ride out to squamish? is it intmidating?
bd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #312
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd0n View Post
HAve you done the ride out to squamish? is it intmidating?
No, haven't tried, but there's a first time for everything. It should be okay since there is a designated bike lanes. Gotta prep the mind and body to hammer the hills..

Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #313
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
1. I ride a compact: 50/34 with a 12/27 rear cassette. You probably will hardly use 53-12 anyway unless you're planning on pulling a 35+mph sprint in the near future. Also, downhill speed can be achieved with a good tuck instead of pedalling on your biggest rings. I hardly use even the 50-12 on my compact. I have, however, used the 34-27 for steep hills in Vancouver (18% grade for 140m near my house) and elsewhere. But really, it's up to you. If you foresee yourself not ever needing the small ring, then by all means get a standard double.

Here's a nice little webpage that calculates achievable speeds at certain cadences and gear ratios.

2. Tektro has served me well so far. I hear the pads make a big difference, though, so I plan to upgrade to Kool Stop pads once the Tektro once wear siginificatly.
Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering my parts from CRC in the UK. Got Raceface Cadence 53/39 crankset/bb, SRAM 1050 11-28 cassette, 10 spd chain, 105 rr der, R501 wheelset, and 3 Vittoria tires for ~$330 with free shipping. Not sure what I'm doing with brakes, but I'll probably look for a good used set of 105 or Ultegra in the classifieds or Ebay. Goal is to keep the complete build under $750. That way if road riding doesn't work out for me I should be able to sell the bike at a minimal loss. With any luck the bike will come out around 20-21lbs. If I love the sport, then I'll invest in a nicer set of wheels at a later time to ditch some rotating weight.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #314
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
I'm looking to get myself a XC bike to and from work. What are some stores I should check out for 2010/2011 inventory?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #315
RS Veteran

UFO - Could you let me know how your experience with CRC was? I've been hesitant to order with them simply because they are in the UK. I'm assuming the parts are being shipped straight to your home, correct?

I won't lie. I've been lazy these days. I don't enjoy going to Blaine/Point Roberts to pick stuff up anymore. I'd much rather pay the $15 extra for shipping to my house and deal with taxes/duties.

eddy89 - Any particular reason why an XC bike? I ask because I was thinking of one (way before I bought a bike) but my co-worker brought up a good point. Why pay road bike prices for something between a hybrid/mountain bike and a road bike? You could easily get a dedicated hybrid or mountain bike and a road bike used on Craigslist for the same amount of money.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #316
UFO

For sure. CRC gets tons of glowing reviews from the MTB side for their quick service and shipping considering they are halfway around the world, and ridiculous pricing too sometimes cheaper than local shops' wholesale pricing. They ship free to Canada above ~$150cdn I think, and feedback has been that usually packages come tax free. A couple of the things I ordered are on back order til mid-June so my order will not ship until everything is together, which I knew about before hand so its all good.

I have an XC hardtail bike which is a pretty boutique make. I like the bike, but find its uses fairly limited around here. Its on 26" slicks now, with a 36-48 chainring upfront, and works pretty well for commuting and easy trails. It has no provisions for disc brakes, old school geometry with limited front suspension, so it doesn't see much offroad use especially around here locally.

Hard to compare value of a new bike bought in store vs. a used bike. I have had many bikes over the years but only my first MTB in 1996 was bought in store. Since then everything has been a combination of buying used and/or frame up builds. But the sourcing/speccing/building is a big hobby of mine, the riding part is merely a means to satisfy that hobby.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #317

btw, anyone deciding to do the upcoming fondos? (whistler and grand valley) I was just thinking if can we get enough of a group, maybe some revscene suits ??
Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #318
RS Veteran

^
The jerseys would be pretty cool, actually.

But I'm out on the idea of any fondos.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #319
I subscribe to Revscene

we should probably start with simple group rides before a full fledged fondo
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #320

I'm not going to have any training time for the Whistler fondo :/ . I'm leaving for work in a couple of weeks, won't be back until late August/early September. I'm kinda choked cuz my dad is planning on riding the Whistler Fondo.

But yeah jerseys!

EDIT: I just realized how strange an RS jersey would be. 90% of revscene hates cyclists haha. An RSer in a car seeing an RSer on a bike repping RS... minds will be fucked.

Last edited by woob; 06-07-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #321
I subscribe to Revscene

that's very true. i'm afraid to voice my support of (respectful) cycling outside of this thread

edit: if i had space in my garage i'd totally pick up a cheap(er) cross bike for rain/trail/commuting. i love the idea of using a cross bike for commuting. road geometry with hybrid cushy tires.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering my parts from CRC in the UK. Got Raceface Cadence 53/39 crankset/bb, SRAM 1050 11-28 cassette, 10 spd chain, 105 rr der, R501 wheelset, and 3 Vittoria tires for ~$330 with free shipping. Not sure what I'm doing with brakes, but I'll probably look for a good used set of 105 or Ultegra in the classifieds or Ebay. Goal is to keep the complete build under $750. That way if road riding doesn't work out for me I should be able to sell the bike at a minimal loss. With any luck the bike will come out around 20-21lbs. If I love the sport, then I'll invest in a nicer set of wheels at a later time to ditch some rotating weight.
Contact me when you're looking for brakes, I have a brand new set of Ultegras sitting around..I may or may not use them for a build. I also have a Race Face Cadence/Colnago anatomic drop bars if you're interested (40 or 42cm wide, can't remember).
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
No, haven't tried, but there's a first time for everything. It should be okay since there is a designated bike lanes. Gotta prep the mind and body to hammer the hills..

You best be riding with at least one other person (to draft, to beat boredom, for safety's sake, etc).
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'm not going to have any training time for the Whistler fondo :/ . I'm leaving for work in a couple of weeks, won't be back until late August/early September. I'm kinda choked cuz my dad is planning on riding the Whistler Fondo.

But yeah jerseys!

EDIT: I just realized how strange an RS jersey would be. 90% of revscene hates cyclists haha. An RSer in a car seeing an RSer on a bike repping RS... minds will be fucked.
Thats why it would be perfect lol.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #325
I subscribe to Revscene

godaammit rode to work this morning after seeing the sun and blue sky. came in and now it's monsooning. no fenders on my road bike either frick