REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #551
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i'm diggin the 0-speed drivetrain :P super weight savings
haha, that's right. It's currently set up as a Run Bike...like for the toddlers, but in my size.
I do have an old Ultegra crank set on it's way..
Advertisement
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #552
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Hey guys, im looking for a bike for general riding at like stanley park and around the blocks for some extra cardio, I'm 5'11 and about 230 pounds, anyone recommend a descent cheaper bike? I really like the kona stinkys a few years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Or buy my GT Palomar!! (Sorry, just had to plug my bike)
+1 on the GT Palomar.

That and I bought some stuff from azncreationz before. Great seller!

Soooo...This is my fourth ride on the Diamondback Podium 4. Here's a photo and a quick review of the bike and my experience with JensonUSA.com:

Spoiler!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12070052.jpg (128.8 KB, 0 views)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #553
I subscribe to Revscene

i've got rs10's on mine as well and they are noticeably less stiff than the vuelta's i sold with my previous bike. at 1800+g they're a bit on the heavy side but as long as they're strong enough i'm happy to use them as beater wheels. been looking at investing in a set of ksyrium elites and calling it a day, will probably pick up a set the next time nashbar offers free shipping.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #554
J89
RS controls my life!

Epic bike ride today, woke up at 9am, met up with the crew at 22nd st station shortly after.
Road to metro met up some others ppl, took the route underneath the skytrain through to scienceworld. > Granville island for lunch and mojitos. > Kits beach LOCAL restaurant for some beer and lounging. Ended up on the beach playing volleyball. > Road to cambie up the hill, down to marine drive trail and back to Edmonds area.

Longest distance and most adventurous ride yet.
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #555
RS Veteran

Quote:
will probably pick up a set the next time nashbar offers free shipping.
They have free shipping right now for 2 days only!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #556
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Was in Cornerbrook Newfoundland for a day yesterday. Decided to rent a Mtn Bike and hit the trails. I have literally ridden a mountain bike 3 times in the last 7 years. Got on, and felt right at home. I was just ripping down a fireroad when I was ejected from my steed at 53km/h (As per my phones GPS). With nothing but the beautiful greenery of "The Rocks" backlands to cushion my fall I ended up (after a 11km ride back) in the ER with a few stitches in the arm. Now I remember why I used to always wear gear, I also remember why I quit riding. All in all, I think I got pretty damn lucky.

EDIT: The measly wound pictures i'll save for myself as I can't figure how to "hide" them if you don't want to see lol.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 07-17-2012 at 02:23 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #557
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Not too shabby bcrdukes. So when all was said and done your bike came out to ~$900?? Pretty good on Jensonusa to give you back so much for a couple scratches. And you've got 4 rides in already, my build is still waiting on wheels and the build will be 2 months long by the time my wheels come. The plus side is every part is handpicked by me so I can get the bike as light and blinged as I can afford.

I've been wishy washy back and forth on what wheels to get since I found out the $130 Shimano R501's got super backordered. I looked into some RS20's for $180, but they were heavy'ish, PITA expensive proprietary spokes which broke somehwat frequently based on reviews, and on the flexy side. I was set on some DT Swiss 350 hubs/R450 rims for $315us for about 1750g weight, then I discovered these on CRC for $20 more Techlite Road Alloy Clincher Wheelset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com which weigh about 1400g in real life. Not many reviews on the Techlite wheels, but they use lightweight Novatec hubs which are half decent and the rim is welded and machined. It's usually tough to get to 1400g even spending double at $700. I was really torn to choose the superlight wheels or the heavier reliable/'nicer' wheels. In the end I stuck with the DT's for their reliability since I don't plan on doing any racing and figured the stronger 28/32 3x lacing won't hurt anything but a bit of added weight.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #558
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
Edit.... if you go to chain reaction and search Kona Zing while the country is UK it shows up... $290GBP shipped for a carbon frame and fork!

Last edited by lowside67; 07-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Not too shabby bcrdukes. So when all was said and done your bike came out to ~$900?? Pretty good on Jensonusa to give you back so much for a couple scratches. And you've got 4 rides in already, my build is still waiting on wheels and the build will be 2 months long by the time my wheels come. The plus side is every part is handpicked by me so I can get the bike as light and blinged as I can afford.

I've been wishy washy back and forth on what wheels to get since I found out the $130 Shimano R501's got super backordered. I looked into some RS20's for $180, but they were heavy'ish, PITA expensive proprietary spokes which broke somehwat frequently based on reviews, and on the flexy side. I was set on some DT Swiss 350 hubs/R450 rims for $315us for about 1750g weight, then I discovered these on CRC for $20 more Techlite Road Alloy Clincher Wheelset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com which weigh about 1400g in real life. Not many reviews on the Techlite wheels, but they use lightweight Novatec hubs which are half decent and the rim is welded and machined. It's usually tough to get to 1400g even spending double at $700. I was really torn to choose the superlight wheels or the heavier reliable/'nicer' wheels. In the end I stuck with the DT's for their reliability since I don't plan on doing any racing and figured the stronger 28/32 3x lacing won't hurt anything but a bit of added weight.
RS30's on right now at Chainlove 174.99!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #560
UFO

I have no idea what the differences are between RS10/20/30 aside from price. Weights seem to be very close to each other, hubs are all loose balls, db stainless bladed spokes.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #561
RS Veteran

Not much of a real difference among the RS series of wheels. If anything, they're a lateral move.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #562
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Nice new bike bcrdukes! Btw, is that overpass pic on Winston Street?
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #563
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
Nice new bike bcrdukes! Btw, is that overpass pic on Winston Street?
Yes sir! And thank you!

My usual routine is to ride from my house then down to the Central Valley Bikeway, head down towards the Costco on Still Creek, walk along that gravel path (my coworker bailed once) then ride up to Douglas, right on Douglas then left on Norland, power it through all the way to the Burnaby Sports Complex, do a quick round and back. I decided to go up the overpass and then down Lougheed but regret it because Lougheed sucks balls and is a terrible "bike path." Too much dirt/gravel and glass.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #564
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Yes sir! And thank you!

My usual routine is to ride from my house then down to the Central Valley Bikeway, head down towards the Costco on Still Creek, walk along that gravel path (my coworker bailed once) then ride up to Douglas, right on Douglas then left on Norland, power it through all the way to the Burnaby Sports Complex, do a quick round and back. I decided to go up the overpass and then down Lougheed but regret it because Lougheed sucks balls and is a terrible "bike path." Too much dirt/gravel and glass.
I'll give that route a try one day. I'm off work this Thursday night so I'll go for a quick ride around town.
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #565
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
180 barspin!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #566
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

When do bike shops usually have good sales?

I'm looking into buying a Kona Jake 2012 cyclocross bike for my commuting to and from work in richmond.

ETA maybe in the next 1-2 months.

They run about $1100 retail right now in all the local shops...

Any suggestions for a shop?
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #567
RS Veteran

Shops usually have sales in the fall/winter seasons. They need to clear out their inventory in order to meet the minimum purchase from the distributors. There are a lot of Kona dealers around town but my only experience (a positive one at that) was at Jubilee Cycles in Burnaby/Metrotown.

Edit: My very last MEC tire tube's valve stem decided to break. So fuck that shit. Will post a pic later.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #568
I subscribe to Revscene

@dukes- f*k there goes my paycheque! i need to buy a set of tubes too didn't replace my spares since i got a flat on the RTCC ("drafting" behind a girl and ran right over a huge pot hole)

@604CEFIRO - i'd scope one out on CL, they're usually in the sub $500 range, and if you're lucky it'll have a 105 groupset. a $300 Tiagra jake is easy to find, there might be one already on CL.

going to try to ride up grouse this Sunday! dreading it already. anyone see that set of easton wheels on PB???

Last edited by dat_steve; 07-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #569
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Shops usually have sales in the fall/winter seasons. They need to clear out their inventory in order to meet the minimum purchase from the distributors. There are a lot of Kona dealers around town but my only experience (a positive one at that) was at Jubilee Cycles in Burnaby/Metrotown.

Edit: My very last MEC tire tube's valve stem decided to break. So fuck that shit. Will post a pic later.
+1.

Dang, you saved an extra $200 on your bike? NICE.
They have a few Jakes, and Zings at Jubilee right now. In fact, they have my 2006 Zing Supreme, complete there, for sale.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #570
RS Veteran

Stupid MEC tube!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12070055.jpg (36.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #571
RS Veteran

Quote:
@dukes- f*k there goes my paycheque! i need to buy a set of tubes too didn't replace my spares since i got a flat on the RTCC ("drafting" behind a girl and ran right over a huge pot hole)
Hey, if you're looking to split some shipping costs, I wouldn't mind doing an order with you. I need to stock up on some tubes! 700x23 please!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #572
RS Veteran

Quote:
6. Oh, and finally - not that this matters: The frame is made in China by a Chinese company known for manufacturing a lot of bikes. I was under the impression it was made by Kinesis but sadly, only the Podium 5, 6, and 7 are. Not that this is a bad thing because the overall quality of the frame and welds are pretty darn good. Bottom line - anything that comes out of China has that bad stigma but again, for the price - you can't complain. Overall, pretty happy with the bike!
Just wanted to add to this:

I did some more research on the company that made this bike: Universal Cycle Corporation. They've been around since the 70s and is/was run by guys from Taiwan. They are also the OEM manufacturer for Avanti, a well known Australian-New Zealand road racing and triathlon bike manufacturer.

I'm not so worried.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #573
UFO

Looks like there was a bend in the presta valve. Note you don't need to unscrew the valve all the way out when you inflate your tire, needs only 1 full turn or so, this makes it less prone to bending and breakage when installing/removing the pumphead. You also don't need to reef on the valve when tightening it because presta valves are held closed by air pressure and are not mechanical like schraeder valves are. So just screw the presta valve barely finger tight and all will be good.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #574

Got my Northwave Typhoon EVO's in the mail today. $100 to my door. Even though they were black and yellow I got them as they were so cheap. Well maybe my monitor is off, as they are lime green and black !!! haha oh well, at least they fit.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 06-24-2015 at 09:48 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #575
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Yes sir! And thank you!

Hey Mike, we should go ride together!
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote