REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #726
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris walter View Post
I ended up buying the Kona
Jake after seeing 604CEFIRO s bike. So happy so far.I ended up going 73kmh down a hill on Galiano island and felt.perfectly safe. And I saw you 604CEFIRO fly by my work a few Weeks ago.
That's awesome! Did u get the 2012 or 2013 Jake?

Where do u work? I ride daily from 3rd and Francis to a bit past the automall.

I just splurged today and bought a ton of stuff from ChainReactionCycles online! I bought Shimano xc60 shoes, A530 pedals, multi release cleats, Funkier 10 panel shorts and a Giro Atmos helmet for $419 shipped. Good deals to be had online hah
Advertisement
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #727
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Yeah very hard to go wrong with CRC; some of the stuff on CRC is cheaper than Canadian wholesale pricing. Let us know if you get dinged by Canada Post/Customs. They got me for ~$30 on a ~$250 order, but I've also heard of many people getting off tax free.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #728
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Rode out to UBC today to cheer on some friends running the Color Me Rad event...but sh*t, the paint powder was everywhere and now my bike is purple. FML!

Maybe I'll do some online shopping to make myself feel better. =)
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #729
I subscribe to Revscene

rode up cypress today and hit 70.4kmh there was a race earlier and there were so many ballin bikes just flying down the mountain- i love that whirring sound deep wheels make!
my legs are tooooast!
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #730
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
That's awesome! Did u get the 2012 or 2013 Jake?

Where do u work? I ride daily from 3rd and Francis to a bit past the automall.

I just splurged today and bought a ton of stuff from ChainReactionCycles online! I bought Shimano xc60 shoes, A530 pedals, multi release cleats, Funkier 10 panel shorts and a Giro Atmos helmet for $419 shipped. Good deals to be had online hah
I got the 2012 model from dizzy cycles and i work in the automall
chris walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #731
I STILL don't get it

today I tried a Felt 85 road bike. I've been pedaling around on my sl4 Louis Garneux which is an entry level road bike. The very first time I rode the Felt, I was able to stop the bike so hard that the rear wheel would lift about 30 cm off the ground. For some reason, the brakes come on a lot harder on this bike than mine, but more importantly, it brakes in a very linear and predictable fashion. I then tried the same thing on my bike, but it would not brake with that amount of force nor in the same "linear" fashion. My bike was just bought 2 weeks ago from this same shop, so I think it should be tuned properly.

Anyways, what is responsible for this characteristic? Can I upgrade my brake pads or does it have to do with the brakes? The Felt had 105 components while my bike has same basic cheaper stuff. They both appear to have the same dual pivot brakes, so I was wondering what I could do to my bike to make it feel more like the Felt.

thanks for your input!
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #732
I subscribe to Revscene

could just be the tension of the brake cable but you said it was recently tuned. I know you get that "squishy" feeling if you run brakes that are not completely compatible with the brifters. ie. you "can" run shimano 105 5600 brakes with ultegra 6600 brifters but you'll get braking that isn't as solid.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #733
I bringith the lowerballerith

Looking to get an entry level bike. New biker been doing the seawall on blades but wanting to switch to biking. Any opinions on the giant defy 3 as well as the Jamis Ventura comp?

Saw the jamis at sportchek for 799.
Friend are recommending me check out cannondale.

My budget is under 1000.

Also is it a good time to buy a bike now or wait?

Last edited by kayceeee; 08-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #734
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Has anyone hiked/walked/cycled the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve trails before?

Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve (LSCR)
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #735
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
Looking to get an entry level bike. New biker been doing the seawall on blades but wanting to switch to biking. Any opinions on the giant defy 3 as well as the Jamis Ventura comp?

My budget is under 1000.

I almost bought a Cannondale bike that was about $800 at Westwood Cycle. I ended up going with a higher end Cannondale model because the $800 bike had mechanical disc brakes versus the hydraulic brakes the bike I ended up buying has. It rode well, and I did like it. You should just test ride a bunch of bikes and just get the one that suits you. The staff at Westwood were really helpful - excellent service.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #736
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
what are some good online stores in the states with good prices for helmets and other gear? Looking for either a Giro or UVEX road helmet and some clips.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
I almost bought a Cannondale bike that was about $800 at Westwood Cycle. I ended up going with a higher end Cannondale model because the $800 bike had mechanical disc brakes versus the hydraulic brakes the bike I ended up buying has. It rode well, and I did like it. You should just test ride a bunch of bikes and just get the one that suits you. The staff at Westwood were really helpful - excellent service.
thanks!

ya my buddy got his cannondale at westwood for like 800 originally 1400 or something, they had some sort of sale or end of season. think i'm going to try some there. probably get more out of my bang since they are bike experts vs just getting a bike at sport chek. but i'm still going to check out the jamis at sportchek

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #738
VLS Moderator

Did a quick 8km round trip at the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve trail system today.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #739
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Is the trail mostly paved? If so, I wouldn't mind taking my road bike up there one day.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #740
RS controls my life!

Looks awesome, will definitely check it out!
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #741
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Is the trail mostly paved? If so, I wouldn't mind taking my road bike up there one day.
Yup, the Seymour Valley Trailway is paved all the way to the end (11km) as far as I know. Smooth asphalt.

The Twin Bridges Trail is gravel:

Download the map from the link below. The trails Ive mentioned are clearly marked on it. However, there is a new bridge linking the east & west trails just south of the dam that is not on the map - they haven't updated it yet.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...CRTrailMap.pdf

Recycled 1912 bridge expands North Shore trail
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #742
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Nice Cannondale Senna4ever.

I finally got around to fixing and cleaning the bike after my crash. Pardon the obligatory bike infront of white garage door pic.

Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #743
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:

My budget is under 1000.

If you can find a team assist coupon from somebody on this forum then you can get into the Ventura Race, the $1129 Jamis for $895... with taxes you are still under $1000 and a pretty sweet bike!

Mark
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
If you can find a team assist coupon from somebody on this forum then you can get into the Ventura Race, the $1129 Jamis for $895... with taxes you are still under $1000 and a pretty sweet bike!

Mark
thanks ya im comparing that to the ventura comp one which is 799 and with 20% off its around 640 at sportchek.

i know the race has better parts like shimano 105 stuff rather than a mix of sora/tiagra, its just i'm so new to it i'm not sure if i'll even know the difference or be able to use the bike to its potential. its just for casual/leisure ride around town. so not sure if i want to fork the extra money for it cuz i'll still need to get helmets n other accessories/shirts etc.

i see youve been in my spot not too long ago. what made you get the race over the comp?

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #745
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
i see youve been in my spot not too long ago. what made you get the race over the comp?
From the last page...

Spoiler!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #746
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
thanks ya im comparing that to the ventura comp one which is 799 and with 20% off its around 640 at sportchek.

i know the race has better parts like shimano 105 stuff rather than a mix of sora/tiagra, its just i'm so new to it i'm not sure if i'll even know the difference or be able to use the bike to its potential. its just for casual/leisure ride around town. so not sure if i want to fork the extra money for it cuz i'll still need to get helmets n other accessories/shirts etc.

105 is a significant step up over the tiagra/sora components......right now if you spend over $250, you also get a $50 promo gift card, which is pretty sweet too.

plus the carbon post, seat stay are a nice upgrade
the carbon seat stay on the race also gives the bike a softer ride since the seat stay will help dampen some of the road vibration
Better wheel set up on race as well

if you do go for the comp...sportchek has last year's men's comp at $799.99, while last year's women's comp is $699.99....if ur lucky (find a nice enough manager), they will lower the men's bikes to the women's price then let you use the 20% off coupon ontop + get a $50 promo gift card....the women/men's bike have identical cost....dont know why they priced the men's $100 cheaper......ymmv though
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
105 is a significant step up over the tiagra/sora components......right now if you spend over $250, you also get a $50 promo gift card, which is pretty sweet too.

plus the carbon post, seat stay are a nice upgrade
the carbon seat stay on the race also gives the bike a softer ride since the seat stay will help dampen some of the road vibration
Better wheel set up on race as well

if you do go for the comp...sportchek has last year's men's comp at $799.99, while last year's women's comp is $699.99....if ur lucky (find a nice enough manager), they will lower the men's bikes to the women's price then let you use the 20% off coupon ontop + get a $50 promo gift card....the women/men's bike have identical cost....dont know why they priced the men's $100 cheaper......ymmv though
thanks for the input. ya im leaning towards the comp, i just dont think i'll benefit that much from the casual ride. dont even think i'll ride the comp to its potential lol.

i work at metro, gonna stop by tomorrow, hopefully your plan works there! lol now i just gotta find someone with team assist.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #748

Quote:
thanks for the input. ya im leaning towards the comp, i just dont think i'll benefit that much from the casual ride. dont even think i'll ride the comp to its potential lol.

i work at metro, gonna stop by tomorrow, hopefully your plan works there! lol now i just gotta find someone with team assist.
Too bad I left metro already.....or else its something I'd personally would authorize.....but now its upto the mod's call
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Too bad I left metro already.....or else its something I'd personally would authorize.....but now its upto the mod's call
dang. its okay. if you dont mind me asking, when you work next lol, trying to save a buck or two.

im not going to get it tomorrow, just want to see it in person, still gotta find a team assist coupon donor lol

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #750

Quote:
dang. its okay. if you dont mind me asking, when you work next lol, trying to save a buck or two.

im not going to get it tomorrow, just want to see it in person, still gotta find a team assist coupon donor lol
I don't work there anymore....
Use to be one of the sr. Management at the metro sportchek....
Team assist coupon does state "cannot be combined with another offer" so that's the ground where they won't let you stack with promo g/c....