REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #2726
I bringith the lowerballerith

thanks!

i'll definitely look into the boyds. seems like they have really good reviews on the internet.

but im not in a real rush to get new wheels, it'd be nice to ride the summer with new wheels but not make or break with the current rs10.

will keep an eye out for deals.
Advertisement

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #2727
Better safe than Surrey

My light GG on me tonight. I got it wet yesterday when washing my bike and it wouldn't turn on. Tried directly powering LED and I burnt it out. FML.

I'll be ordering another though, it was a good light till I killed it.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #2728
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Just a heads up Il Campione Cycles bankruptcy sale is going to be held this week -

More info can be found here - Jarvis Auctions
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #2729
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
It sucks. Don't go. It's been on for a few weeks.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #2730
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
It sucks. Don't go. It's been on for a few weeks.
Oh okay didn't realize the sell was on for a few weeks. I guess many of the good stuff have been picked up already?
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #2731
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
Oh okay didn't realize the sell was on for a few weeks. I guess many of the good stuff have been picked up already?
I didn't know it was on neither but another RS member went a week before I found out LOL!

No. I don't think so. There was a lot of old stuff, and by old, I mean outdated shit you and I never heard or or have ever seen. You can go take a look but I am certain you will walk out disappointed.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #2732
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,158 Posts
So, I just ordered the BMC SR01 as there was only one left on Backcountry.com. If I decide that I don't like it I can always return it... that's the beauty of Backcountry at any rate! I ordered the 51cm after discussing it with a couple of cyclist friends and the rep from Backcountry.

I will bring the bike to a shop for proper fitting after it arrives - either Dizzy or Speed Theory, or do you guys have any other recommendations? Maybe PMS if they have a RS special or I name-drop bcrdukes? :P

Now to find a helmet and shoes! A friend of mine has some SPD pedals he doesn't use anymore that I can have so that's taken care of.

I'm thinking of this: http://www.backcountry.com/lazer-lio...genesis-helmet
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #2733

awesome looking bike!

i havent gotten my fitting done at pms yet, but they've done a great job installing my group and john is a nice guy. i'd recommend them =)

and yes, dukes name is pretty powerful

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #2734
Better safe than Surrey

I really like my Lazer helmet. The Rollsys tensioning thingy is awesome
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #2735
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I will bring the bike to a shop for proper fitting after it arrives - either Dizzy or Speed Theory, or do you guys have any other recommendations? Maybe PMS if they have a RS special or I name-drop bcrdukes? :P
I've never been to Dizzy or Speed Theory but I can imagine them charging full price for a fitting ($150?+)

Of all the guys I've referred on RS to Pacific Multisport, they've never paid more than $80 - $100 I believe. If they needed to swap a stem, John has always been more than happy to swap the stock stem for one another size for free. Follow up adjustments/fittings were free as well.

I think what it boils down to is not just getting the best deals but finding a shop you want to go to and support. I truly believe that if you support an LBS, they will in turn support you when you really need it. I built a good reputation with PMS over a year's span and got to know John and his staff very well. What I like about his shop is that it's a one or two man operation so I know who I will always be dealing with. No fuss. No hassle. Another good example is 604CEFIRO's experience with La Bicicletta. They take care of him very well and they are overall a great shop (albeit too ballin' for me.)

The feedback from everyone I've referred to PMS has been positive so far. I don't think I've steered anybody in the wrong direction...yet.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #2736
I subscribe to Revscene

I for one will be going PMS from now on for all my service/fitting needs. Not only because it's super close to where I live but it's also the first shop where I've honestly received a no-bs type of service.

I always see guys kitted in speed theory gear and 98% of the time they're on bikes that I'd need to sell a kidney or two to afford :P
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #2737

same here. i'll be going to PMS for basically everything, unless if i need like something really simple like a water bottle or something, but servicing and fitting, will definately be done at PMS, although its bit far from poco having to shove my bike into a coupe, but its worth it for the service you get from PMS. john just tells you straight up facts, no bs, no upsell.

happy customer so far and they try to accomdate you as much as they can.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #2738
I subscribe to Revscene

25% off nashbar until tomorrow
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #2739
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Just scored a fizik antares off ebay for $90 shipped.

Woot
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #2740

wow so tempting, shimano ultegra wheelset 6700

408 plus 25% off. 306$ for the wheelset, or should i get boyds?

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Wheelset - Road Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

edit: nvm, the 25% excludes shimano...

2005 G35 Coupe - sold

Last edited by kayceeee; 05-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #2741

How do you guys order from Nashbar without a US Paypal account or a US cc? I want to order a helmet, bottle cage and bottles but they want the same billing/shipping address or a US Paypal.

I'll be giving John @ PMS a call when the bike comes in.
fml
Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #2742
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
I always see guys kitted in speed theory gear and 98% of the time they're on bikes that I'd need to sell a kidney or two to afford :P
Yeah, shops like that - I have a hard time dragging myself in to. Not only do I feel out of place, I simply can't afford anything they sell. One can only dream, right?

So on to real business! Alphamale and I went to Cima Coppi's design studio earlier this afternoon. The studio is a 2 person operation and they do everything in-house. Yes, that's right. From design, fabrics to final product, it is handled by the same two people.

The wool they use is 100% merino wool. Compared to Rapha, Rapha uses a blend of synthetics and merino wool. Where the advantage is - it is arguable and we can argue it to the death but from Cima Coppi's perspective and as designers, 100% wool requires more attention to care, as in, you can't just throw it in the wash. You simply dunk it in luke warm water, wring it, and air dry. Whereas Rapha - you can throw it in the washing machine and it'll be ok. Think of it as owning a pair of raw selvedge denim as opposed to a pair of jeans at the Gap. The care process is different.

We asked the question of how hot it gets and how it performs. When it's 34 degrees outside, it'll be hot so you're screwed either way no matter what you wear. With 100% merino wool against skin, it breaths well and as 604CEFIRO mentioned, it doesn't smell terrible unlike most synthetic jerseys. In the fall or winter, throw on a base layer and you're good to go. For what it's worth, one of the guys rode the Giro d'Italia (ahead of the peloton) and did some touring in Spain wearing his jerseys. I would like to say that their jerseys are tried, tested, and true.

Fit and quality - really nice. They take real good care of their stitching and cutting of fabrics. The best part is they are more than happy to make modifications to each and every one of us according to our needs. Want a more relaxed, club fit jersey? Sure. Want it a little longer? No problem. Want a race fit jersey? Absolutely. This is a real selling factor. They will not, however, do 100% full custom tailoring LOL! Alphamale tried on a medium and I tried on an XL - they fit pretty nicely and they were both the half zip jerseys. Full zip jerseys will shrink a small bit on the side but if you keep wearing it, it will conform to your body.

Last but not least - price. For a locally made product, if we can get at least 6 jerseys, I believe Alphamale calculated the cost to work out to about $143 per jersey (give or take a few bucks.) Not bad for a premium product with local support and guaranteed fitment. I'm willing to pull the trigger on these regardless.

Alphamale can post his thoughts.

Quote:
How do you guys order from Nashbar without a US Paypal account or a US cc? I want to order a helmet, bottle cage and bottles but they want the same billing/shipping address or a US Paypal.
They're a pain in the ass to deal with. I never bothered ordering from them. They will only ship direct to Canada and I flat out said no. IIRC, they use UPS for shipping so eff that noise.

Quote:
I'll be giving John @ PMS a call when the bike comes in.
If you get him to build your bike, you might get a deal on a fitting as well.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #2743
I subscribe to Revscene

You rock Mike! Count me in regardless as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #2744
Banned By Establishment

what kind of road bike frame do you have? aluminum or carbon?
which model or brand would you perfer and why?
tipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #2745
RS Veteran

Who are you asking? LOL!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #2746

Quote:
The wool they use is 100% merino wool. Compared to Rapha, Rapha uses a blend of synthetics and merino wool. Where the advantage is - it is arguable and we can argue it to the death but from Cima Coppi's perspective and as designers, 100% wool requires more attention to care, as in, you can't just throw it in the wash. You simply dunk it in luke warm water, wring it, and air dry. Whereas Rapha - you can throw it in the washing machine and it'll be ok. Think of it as owning a pair of raw selvedge denim as opposed to a pair of jeans at the Gap. The care process is different.

We asked the question of how hot it gets and how it performs. When it's 34 degrees outside, it'll be hot so you're screwed either way no matter what you wear. With 100% merino wool against skin, it breaths well and as 604CEFIRO mentioned, it doesn't smell terrible unlike most synthetic jerseys. In the fall or winter, throw on a base layer and you're good to go. For what it's worth, one of the guys rode the Giro d'Italia (ahead of the peloton) and did some touring in Spain wearing his jerseys. I would like to say that their jerseys are tried, tested, and true.

Last but not least - price. For a locally made product, if we can get at least 6 jerseys, I believe Alphamale calculated the cost to work out to about $143 per jersey (give or take a few bucks.) Not bad for a premium product with local support and guaranteed fitment. I'm willing to pull the trigger on these regardless.

Alphamale can post his thoughts.

They're a pain in the ass to deal with. I never bothered ordering from them. They will only ship direct to Canada and I flat out said no. IIRC, they use UPS for shipping so eff that noise.

If you get him to build your bike, you might get a deal on a fitting as well.
So I guess the jerseys are more for spring/fall wear, as I can imagine it getting way too hot in the summer. I'd probably stick to a CoolMax-like material for summer riding... better sweat wicking properties and ventilation. Price-wise that's a bit more than I was hoping but these jerseys seem to be of great quality.

Yeah, if I ship to Canada it completely wipes out the savings that I could've had getting stuff from Nashbar. I'd rather price-match them with Backcountry or Amazon.

For the bike assembly, Backcountry/CC ships their bike almost fully assembled - I just need to put the handlebar, wheels, and seatpost on the bike. Should I get it tuned at PMS as well? Or ride it for a bit and then fit/tune it?
fml
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #2747
RS Veteran

Quote:
So I guess the jerseys are more for spring/fall wear, as I can imagine it getting way too hot in the summer. I'd probably stick to a CoolMax-like material for summer riding... better sweat wicking properties and ventilation. Price-wise that's a bit more than I was hoping but these jerseys seem to be of great quality.
Yeah, they are pretty nice. They should last a long time. I forgot to mention in my previous post but the guy came back from a cycling tour of Cuba and it was 36 degrees out every day and he wore his jersey.

Quote:
Yeah, if I ship to Canada it completely wipes out the savings that I could've had getting stuff from Nashbar. I'd rather price-match them with Backcountry or Amazon.
Backcountry for sure will price match if it's the same item. I usually call in and have them price match. Be prepared to buy because you have to pay by credit card.

Quote:
For the bike assembly, Backcountry/CC ships their bike almost fully assembled - I just need to put the handlebar, wheels, and seatpost on the bike. Should I get it tuned at PMS as well? Or ride it for a bit and then fit/tune it?
I'm not sure if it's fully assembled. It is if you pay for the "ready to ride" service which is $275 or something. You might have to do some work yourself if you and your friends are confident enough.

I highly recommend a fitting, especially if it's your first time riding a road bike. Then again, your friends can help you. It's all up to you.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #2748

thanks for the info mike!

looks like boyds vitesse will have to wait if we're all getting the jersey deal.

now i need a set of plain bibs to go with the jersey, dont think it'll go well to mix it with my cannondale bibs..

2005 G35 Coupe - sold

Last edited by kayceeee; 05-06-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #2749

Quote:
Yeah, they are pretty nice. They should last a long time. I forgot to mention in my previous post but the guy came back from a cycling tour of Cuba and it was 36 degrees out every day and he wore his jersey.
Ewwww. That is too warm for any type of wool.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's fully assembled. It is if you pay for the "ready to ride" service which is $275 or something. You might have to do some work yourself if you and your friends are confident enough.

I highly recommend a fitting, especially if it's your first time riding a road bike. Then again, your friends can help you. It's all up to you.
Help Center Home

Assembled at no charge, just have to put wheels, bar and seatpost on it. I'm definitely still thinking of getting a fitting. I just ordered two Lezyne cages, Camelbak bottles and a Giro Saros helmet from Amazon, cheaper than Backcountry.

Goddamn I'm spending a lot of money today.
fml
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #2750
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
So about the jerseys.

I feel that they are well worth the money. Yes, for most people they are more of a spring/fall thing.

I'm 5'9", muscular build, 41" chest, and approximately 33" waist and I fit their medium well (true to size, for most people LOL), although I might try on their small next time. The good thing about CC is that you can go in and try out their clothing to see what fits you. You may want to size down for a more aggressive fit or size up for something more relaxing. They are able to accommodate for tall/short people by customizing the length of the jersey (no extra charge). The length can also play a role depending on whether you want to have a more casual jersey you can wear anywhere with jeans or a more aggressively (shorter) styled jersey so you look like a boss @ the coffee shop.

I would suggest we all get a FULL ZIP because a) it is more versatile, when it's hot you can unzip or when it is cold you can zip up all the way b) due to the way a full zip is manufactured, it will fit a *bit* slimmer in the waist (which I think works best for most people).

The vibe that the operators gave off was pretty awesome. They are super flexible and nice people. The jerseys are of awesome quality, I tried it on over my bib (no base layer) and it feels very good with no scratchy parts or anything of that sort.

If we can get 6 jerseys to be purchased, we are looking at about $150 taxes included. I consider this an extremely good deal considering this is handmade in Vancouver, no sweatshop labour. Rapha stuff is made in China/some third world country and costs $250+ (fuck that).

I'm certainly down to purchase one. Even if we can't get to 6 jerseys, there is a tiered level of discount up to and including the 5th jersey but the 6th one gives us the biggest discount @ 15%.

The pricing scheme works something like this:

Template, drawing, 1st jersey made = $200 (this will ALWAYS be the case). When we give the okay, they will make the other jerseys. It's $3 per logo added (but I forgot to ask if it's $3 per jersey or just one time charge for the entire lot). We have 2 logos.

Every jersey after that will be the retail price of $140 + the $6 for the two logos (assuming the charge $3 per logo per jersey).
200 + 5*(146) = 930
((930 * 0.85) * 1.12) / 6 = $147.56, so about $150 worst case scenario.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.

Last edited by Alphamale; 05-06-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: