REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #4826
I subscribe to Revscene

looks like a blast to ride, will. I'm considering building a FG/SS beater for the winter with dem knobby tires. my current steel fixie will get rusted up so bad in the rain/salt.
Advertisement
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #4827
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Sold

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 10-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #4828
I subscribe to Revscene

recommend me a good full finger wind/water proof glove? Currently using a pearl izumi pair that have high vis accents on the fingers which is great for commuting, but they're kinda loose and aren't too good for blocking wind.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #4829
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Using a pair of Pearl Izumi softshells from PMS. GREddie and I both like it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #4830
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell Lobster Gloves - Closeout - BLACK, 2X-Large: Sports & Outdoors
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #4831

A glove that is windproof, waterproof, warm down to negative degrees, and provides finger dexterity pretty much doesn't exist. You'll get one or two, but not all of those features.

If you want windproof gloves to near zero, then one of the softshell gloves by Gore would fit the bill. But they are not waterproof, it may only be a DWR coating.

If you want waterproof, where ZERO water get's in, then you will lose finger dexterity because of the layers and membranes inside the glove.

I currently have the Gore Countdown gloves. Windproof, completely waterproof, but finger dexterity is an issue. Doesn't mean that I can't shift gears, but it means that sometimes I'm fumbling around. I've gone through 4 hours of heavy downpour and hands were completely dry. Good for commuting through winter.

Gore has a newer one called GTX-1 for road cycling. It's thinner than the Countdown, but is waterproof and wind resistant. Finger dexterity is good. Downfall, i don't think it would be suitable for negative degrees because it's a bit thinner. You will need to wear a liner on the inside.

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 10-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #4832
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Just got back from my Haleakala ride. I'll post up a report for those interested once I get back to Canada on Sunday.
Posted via RS Mobile
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #4833
RS Veteran

Anyone interested in a Rotor 3D crankset with Q-Rings? Brand new. 170mm with standard 53/39. No bottom bracket. Was going to use it on my Guru Flite but I'm too lazy to ship it down to LA.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #4834
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Sram Red

hell of a good deal!
bd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #4835

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
If the base of my balls (the gooch, if you will) hurts, does That mean my seats too high? Or that it needs to be tilted down
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #4836

Do u wear bibshorts?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #4837
RS Veteran

Either too high, tilted too high, or set too far back.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #4838

So I have been planning a trip to Maui with a friend to climb Haleakala since the spring. This is a climb from sea level to 10,023', some say the longest paved climb in the world. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's a beast. So just prior to us leaving on the 8th, the US decided to shutdown a portion of their government. Lovely, sucks for all those people planning to check out Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon...

We arrive in Maui late on the 8th, finally making the connection that Haleakala is obviously a national park as well. Feeling like we just got punched in the face by both the humidity and our stupidity. We prepare ourselves to be disappointed that we may not be able to complete our goal. The next morning we head out, and drive our planned cycling route just in case. Look for water stops etc and also check out what the hell is going on in the park. We arrive just short of the toll booth, which is about 3/4 of the way up the volcano..... What do we see? A gate...and three park rangers guarding it. So much for riding around a gate and making it to the top. They take their job extremely seriously and told me to get back in my vehicle (I was taking a picture). With out hearts crushed, we head back down and continue with our vacation.

A week has now gone by, with no sign of movement with the shutdown.

We have been doing a fair amount of drinking while meeting a ton of world travellers in the hostels for which we've been laying our heads at night. I officially have 3 days until my flight home, a wicked hangover from the evening prior and starting on my second beer of the day by 10am (Vacation right?)... This is about how I looked. Haggered.When my buddy gets a news update that the senate may have reached a deal. My eyes are wide open. Ecstatic for the fact we may be able to ride, and scared shitless because I now have no ridden for 2 weeks, and secondly I have been abusing my body for the last week with late nights and copious amounts of alcohol. We both finish our beer and switch to water. Time to hydrate. We immediately rented a couple beach cruisers and started to ride the water front to get our legs moving. We were scared shitless. This is going to happen!

We spent the day planning out how it's going to go down, and reserving our bikes. Thursday we picked up our rentals (Cannondale Super Six's) and get all of our supplies ready.

That evening I barely slept, with a planned departure time of 5am, and starting our ride at 6am I was stressed for a good nights sleep. it didn't happen.

We woke up on time and picked up the best breakfast we could possibly think of for the ride. McDonalds Local breakfast haha. Spam, Portugeuse sausage, rice and eggs. Yumm ugh lol. But it had the calories I was looking for.

The ride was long, but with enough water and food we accomplished it. I was really happy with my results for the lack of sleep, but adrenaline does amazing things. The one main segment on Strava shows me positioned about 264th or so (I forget the number) out of 799, so I was pretty pumped about that since I can assume those 800 riders are pretty dedicated. Anyhow, enjoy the picks. I tired of typing.

Ohhh yeah, and our victory celebration... 10000' shotgun

Last edited by hud 91gt; 10-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #4839

Bike Ride Profile | Haleakala - Ride to the Sun near Paia | Times and Records | Strava
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #4840
I subscribe to Revscene

bad ass dude. i'm leaving for maui on sunday. originally planned to do the ride but i don't think i'll have time juggling family and wedding festivities. doesn't help that i'm staying on the other side of the island or that my training has been limited to commutes on my fg this month.

how would you compare it to the cypress repeats? changing temps an issue at all?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #4841

My very last real training ride here in Vancouver was from Kits to Cypress x 3 and then return to Kits. I'd say it was very comparable. Since we started the ride just before 6:30am, the temperature was still very rideable, as we climbed the temps dropped to a perfect level. So on the way up, there was no issue at all. We had perfect clear weather on the way up, but after the hour we spent smiling at the top, clouds had formed and we got absolutely drenched on the way down. I was freezing on the way down with my winter gloves, arm warmers and leg warmers. I was fine until we hit the rain, and I did not put on my rain/wind breaker/jacket. It was a good 30 minutes in descent in these conditions before it warmed up again enough to be comfortable.

We were staying in Laheina, which on the other side as well. If you do end up riding, I highly suggest renting from Boss Frog's. They had the best rate and the best bikes. 24hr's for $40 for the Cannondale Super Six(Fell in love) spec'd with Ultegra components. The other place we had originally planned to rent from has 105 spec'd Specialized (Tarmac maybe?) for $75 a day.

If your out on the Kannapali, or Laheina direction i'd highly suggest doing a ride out there. There was some great routes that all the bike rental places know about. But start when the sun comes up as it's still quite humid.

I thought the altitude might have an effect on my performance but I didn't really notice it. My buddy didn't notice other. At the 5000' mark I thought I was in over my head, but 7000' came along and I hammered through till 9500' before I petered out again. Either way, 3-4 times throughout the ride I had the biggest smile on my face realizing I was actually going to finish the ride. I'm pretty proud I got it done, and i'd suggest you try it if you can find the time. My buddy who is a more of a cyclist then I am barely rode before hand and didn't do any climbing. He beat me by about 15 minutes. If you can pace yourself and can handle a 4-6 hour continuous ride, you'll be able to complete it. There was 6 riders that were going for it that morning. 5 of us completed it, and one quit at the halfway mark. He did a marathon about two weeks prior so he figures his legs were still toast.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 10-21-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #4842
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
They had the best rate and the best bikes. 24hr's for $40 for the Cannondale Super Six(Fell in love) spec'd with Ultegra components.
That's always a risk with renting a bike better than your own, haha
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #4843

^ Yup. Bad mistake ha
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #4844
I subscribe to Revscene

yeah i'll be staying at lahaina, how long was the whole ordeal for you? (ride out and back). I'm thinking I might be able to spare half a day give or take a few hours. granny ring all the way
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #4845

Left Lahaina at 5:15am, with my McDonalds breakfast stop we were geared up and riding by 6:28 just as the sun was coming over the horizon. We were back in Lahaina around 2ish, and that was a good hour sitting around at the top, with no rest stops other then a minute here and there for water on the way up. I'd plan to be busy till four or five budgeting time for mishaps, burnouts and bringing the rental back etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #4846
I subscribe to Revscene

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset - Pinkbike - Mavic Ksyrium Elites

decent deal. says there's a small dent in the rear wheel but if it doesn't affect braking these are solid set of commuter shoes!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #4847

Did u get a pair of gloves yet steve?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #4848
I subscribe to Revscene

not yet, probably going to order a pair after i get back from Maui.

just booked a wrangler for the week i'm there - hope it's one of those old ones that you can pop the doors off. I doubt it doe
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #4849
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Horrry shit. spent a good half an hour to install Conti Gatorskins. My hand gon be hurting for a while.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #4850

Start savin' up that allowance yo mama gives you cuz Assos is about to drop a $520 bibshort BOMB on your ass lol

New S7 Assos Bib Shorts | Bicycling Magazine

Leave it to assos to come up with the name Kuku Penthouse for your dick cradle