REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #6976
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I once had a Guru Flite which was made with T700.

I liked it. It was meant to be an endurance bike. It was comfortable. But when I wanted to drop the hammer, no way. And this is comparing to a CAAD10 aluminum frame and shortly after, I tried a SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod. It is a night and day difference.

Would I buy a no-name carbon frame? Probably not. But if you just want to boot around, look cool, say you have a carbon frame, then go for it. In my opinion, there are better bikes to be had regardless of what it boasts, but I would just go with what you want and plan on doing and just ride the fuck out of the bike like nobody is watching.

Are carbon frames better than other frame materials? Well, you got to do your homework and try not to sip on the haterade, then make an informed decision. Aluminum frames have come a very long way. Bike weight is all subjective these days anyway, but I wouldn't want to ride a 40lb bike. Anything under 20lbs is good in my books and I don't think I could give enough of a shit if it was 12lbs with a Shimano Claris groupset.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #6977
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

I might buy a Leopard or build an open mold frame for crit racing next year.

everyone is going to point you in the direction of buying from an LBS, and buying a name brand because of the R&D, warranties etc.

Ride whatever you can afford bro. If this bike looks good to you, is within your budget, then go for it. I guarantee its not going to explode underneath you while you ride it lol.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I have friends on this thread and also riding partners that ride open mold frames and wheels (aka China carbon, knock offs, whatever you want to call it) that race the bikes in crits and bag the shit out of them with no issues. Worst I've seen is warped carbon bc of poor braking technique or a broken spoke.

There are a lot of proven open mold frames and wheels, you just have to do research. The Leopard is new, and they haven't been delivered yet so no real world reviews.

But if it's half as good as the current reviews are on GCN and other sites, it'll be a huge hit bc of price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on the new SpeedX Leopard, $1399 (US). All carbon frame/fork, internal cabling, built in computer/gps, < 20 lbs, integrated lights, Shimano 105, those new brakes, carbon wheels ... looks like a lot of bike for the price!

https://www.speedx.com/en/leopard/

604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #6978
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Took the wheels off and gave the bike a thorough deep clean today - the first time since I have bought this bike, about 1000km now. I was astounded how filthy the chain and cassette truly were (ie I was willfully ignoring).

After cleaning it up I thought it was time for a photo with the new (used from Craigslist) wheels!

For fun, I bought a cheap kitchen scale to compare my stock wheels to these new Enves (because I'm a geek like that):
Spoiler!

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 07-31-2016 at 04:28 PM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #6979
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I did British Properties today, just shy of 100 clicks. Due to traffic, I took the easy right turn onto Stevens route and it was too easy. I'm going to turn to the left and pedal up some crazy hills.

LOVE how there aint no traffic and I don't have to deal with pedestrians, I was alone the who time and felt like I was just a well dressed paperboy delivering newspapers.

There were a LOT of sharp turns with signs (15km/h) and I was really shitting my pants trying not to over brake.

*PS, due to the OVERWHELMING amount of constructions up there, there are always tons of porta-potty if you want to take a leak.

I do need suggestions on where I can get refill on my water? Please don't say local bathrooms. These are the two places I go to.

a) Prospect point. I hit that after I come back from N / West Van rides.
b) Red & white light house at Stanley park. I hit that before i go over the lions gate.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #6980
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
How did you get your bike to stay upright? I don't see any stands or anything that it leans against .
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 AM   #6981
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
How did you get your bike to stay upright? I don't see any stands or anything that it leans against .
Used a thin metal skewer for the BBQ between the left crank and the ground and then Photoshopped it out haha.

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #6982

Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Used a thin metal skewer for the BBQ between the left crank and the ground and then Photoshopped it out haha.

Cheers
Mark
Genius ... a sign of someone who really pays attention to details!

And a +1 to tomatogunk for noticing!

Last edited by whitev70r; 08-01-2016 at 08:01 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #6983
Old School RS

"Before" haha.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3880.jpg (222.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #6984
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
... Bike weight is all subjective these days anyway, but I wouldn't want to ride a 40lb bike. Anything under 20lbs is good in my books and I don't think I could give enough of a shit if it was 12lbs with a Shimano Claris groupset.
haha, I don't think there are too many bikes over 40lbs nowadays unless it's a fully loaded steel touring bike or a big heavy cruiser.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #6985
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What do you guys use for chain degreaser? I have 1100 km on my newish bike and my chain is....black.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #6986
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
What do you guys use for chain degreaser? I have 1100 km on my newish bike and my chain is....black.
I bought the MEC degreaser (green colour) and their chain cleaner. Simple to use and does the job quite well. Usually i do 2 runs of it and the chain turns out quite clean.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #6987

I'm using this citrus degreaser from home depot. Cleans it extremely well.

ZEP 128 oz. Heavy-Duty Citrus Degreaser-ZUCIT128 - The Home Depot

On another note, I put the Osymetrics through its paces over the past couple of days. Did some flat riding, did a climb up Seymour and some mixed terrain riding in between--all in all did about 250km on them.

Are there any marginal power/speed gains? Not really, I was a lot faster on every Strava segment of the Seymour climb compared to when I did it two weeks ago but that's arguable because I'm pushing a 38 for my small ring now as opposed to a 34 back then.

The biggest difference I can feel is in the way that you pedal. With round rings you have this push and pull motion at certain angles to achieve a full circular motion. With Osymetrics, I feel that it takes the guesswork out of pedalling and you no longer have to be cognizant of when and at which angle you have to pull, you just have to push. Hard to describe but I like the feel of them so far.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #6988
RS Veteran

I've used both the MEC green one or the citrus degreaser tomatogunk posted. The MEC one is cheap but you have to use a bit of it depending on how dirty it is. The actually prefer the Home Depot Zep citrus cleaner since it's easily accessible and works great.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #6989
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

neat trick a friend showed me, just spray and then rinse off after a few minutes (I didn't use that brand but you get the idea)
Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #6990
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
I find aerosols are pretty wasteful sometimes and are expensive. I've used some wd40 foaming chain degreaser marked specially for bikes. It foams on and doesn't drip as fast as the finishline stuff as I find that finishline stuff pretty horrible. I like it but it's pretty expensive. You can pick the wd40 stuff up from BSP.

I hear mixed reviews about simple green and how it'll corrode your chain if you leave it soaking too long.

The less environmentally friendly stuff is using gasoline, kerosene, or some paint thinner and soak. People use this stuff, but I'd imagine it'd be a bit dangerous.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #6991
ZN6

Anyways, since CRS is not looking to buy my bike, I thought I'd post my bike in case anyone else is interested:

FS: 2012 roubaix apex comp

Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #6992
RS Veteran

I've seen the WD40 bike line stuff in action and it's pretty good, but like you said, can be expensive in comparison to the competition. And yes, Finish Line stuff is horrible.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #6993
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I'm sure everyone here got the email from Chain Reaction announcing their new line of wheels. Looks to be made by Vitus. Very tempting, under $1100 for a set of 50mm full carbon wheels?! Someone buy a set and let me know how they are.
Prime RR-50 Carbon Clincher Road Wheelset 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #6994

Look who my dash cam picked up on his new Giant!

This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #6995
ZN6

Oh sheeeeeit! Nice catch!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #6996
Rs has made me the man i am today!

What you guys think of this one?
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bik/5715332977.html
-"--"-

Last edited by Doubl3_H; 08-08-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #6997

Anyone participating in next Sunday's Cypress Challenge?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #6998

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Just completed century ride by myself today. It was perfect cause the weather wasn't extremely hot. YVR - UBC - Stanley Park - Horseshoe Bay - UBC - Iona Beach - Dinner - Steveston and back to YVR.

Fuck my ass is sore. Could have taken the easy way out and just stayed in Richmond but what's the fun in that.

I gotta say Marine Drive to Horseshoe bay was really fun. I need 20 more clicks before I hit 300 km this week. falk...

PS: Gleneagles Community Centre at West Vancouver was awesome. They have tools, brush and a pump with a stand outside 24/7. It was a life saver.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #6999

keep it up!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #7000
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
Anyone participating in next Sunday's Cypress Challenge?
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote