REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Killing/Beating someone to death who broke into your house

This is a very interesting subject, of course its against the law to kill someone who broke into your house, but where do the fine line fall? How easy would it be to say that he/she came at me and attacked with a said weapon? I would think it would be very easy to say that the person came at me with a baseball bat or a knife from inside my kitchen, i guess so long as it wasnt an obvious overkill i don't see how someone could get into a whole lot of trouble, discuss..
Advertisement
LeanNsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Well, some states in the US have that "castle law" where if anyone who trespasses can have lethal force used on them on the grounds that their safety was put into jeopardy, allowing justifiable homicide.

Personally, I would defend my own home as to drive off the trespasser, but of course that puts mine and my family's safety at risk. Police officers here would probably say not to try something like that for the same reason.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The Canadian court systems are way different from the US ones. There are no "make my day "laws here and the system favours the crooks over the homeowners. There have been numerous cases where the home/business owners have defended themselves against robbers and armed robbers, only to find THEMSELVES being charged. Case in popint is the Port Alberni storowner who shot a robber who was armed with a gun & was threatening his wife...paralyzed one of them, and stiillcould be looking at charges for using his gun in self defence. You may only use as much force as the court later decides was needed, to defend yourself. Most time they rule that basically you should have permitted yourself to be robbed, rather than harming someone who was robbing you. It is the Canadian legal way.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
the system favours the crooks over the homeowners.
I remember that thread somewhere about a repeated thief stealing something from this chinese store in TO. The Shop keeper and some employees chased down the crook, held the thief until cops come in inside a van. The Shop is now charged with kidnapping, assault, and concealing weapon (box cutters in their pocket).
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

wow. really?
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.
omega_cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

That is true. In the legal system now.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanNsupreme View Post
This is a very interesting subject, of course its against the law to kill someone who broke into your house, but where do the fine line fall? How easy would it be to say that he/she came at me and attacked with a said weapon? I would think it would be very easy to say that the person came at me with a baseball bat or a knife from inside my kitchen, i guess so long as it wasnt an obvious overkill i don't see how someone could get into a whole lot of trouble, discuss..
It might be easy to claim it, but the evidence at the scene better back your story up, otherwise you'd be going down for murder one.
Posted via RS Mobile
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
racing & tech mod.

When I was taking my security training at the justice institute, I was told that if you 'accidentally' use excessive force when fighting off a home invader, you best bet is to plant a weapon on their body and say they were trying to kill you.

I'm not saying that's what you should do, but like zulutango said, it shows how F'd up our legal system is, if that's what you have to do to protect yourself. And even then you would likely be going to court to defend your actions.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
...or just make sure the body is never found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

I would just prefer to let myself get beaten, stabbed or possibly shot only to see my assailant given a 6 month jail term for breach of peace or something

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
The Canadian court systems are way different from the US ones. There are no "make my day "laws here and the system favours the crooks over the homeowners. There have been numerous cases where the home/business owners have defended themselves against robbers and armed robbers, only to find THEMSELVES being charged. Case in popint is the Port Alberni storowner who shot a robber who was armed with a gun & was threatening his wife...paralyzed one of them, and stiillcould be looking at charges for using his gun in self defence. You may only use as much force as the court later decides was needed, to defend yourself. Most time they rule that basically you should have permitted yourself to be robbed, rather than harming someone who was robbing you. It is the Canadian legal way.
The tone of your post suggests that you would like to see self defense laws relaxed somewhat?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
America has done few things so well as the Stand Your Ground-type laws. I greatly envy them in this sense, their 2nd amendment, and concealed-carry licenses.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #13

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
You may only use as much force as the court later decides was needed, to defend yourself. Most time they rule that basically you should have permitted yourself to be robbed, rather than harming someone who was robbing you. It is the Canadian legal way.
so when it comes down to a store robber pointing a gun at the clerks head, and the stock boy in the back sees it all happen, grabs the gun from the back managers room, and ends up shooting the robber killing him, is that considered using only enough force to save a life?

what are you supposed to do? get robbed and possibly shot? or use minimal force...piss him off, and still end up getting shot?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #14

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
moral of the story?
lock your doors at home at all times and don't run a grocery store if you live in canada.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

This is what i will do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-QHTXwqjfM
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Most street Police would like to see the Canadian Criminal Code re-written and updated to reflect what is happening today. In some areas the victims have far less rights than the criminals that victimize them. At times it can seem like nobody is held accountable for their actions and there is an excuse for every illegal action.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Banned (BBM)

seriously who are the morons that make up these laws.

I get robbed at my house, my family's life may be in danger. First thing first, is to remove any possible weapons the robber may have, and put him down! its hard to control the exact force when ppl panics, you dont know your strength when you are being pushed to the limite. With that said, getting sued backwards for being the vicitim is seriously HILARIOUS. Like seriously?

Somebody in our justice system needs to wake up and have some common sense, it doesnt take a genius to figure out who is the victim and who is the freak that should get shot at.

This is when America's laws rules!
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #18
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Case in popint is the Port Alberni storowner who shot a robber who was armed with a gun & was threatening his wife...

what if the crook decided to attempt to rape his wife as well, is that grounds to do what you need to do to protect your family? or b/c the criminal is raping her, and not killing her, you cannot do anything, and should let her be raped? this is a serious question btw. i'm interested in how the criminal code would look at this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The criminal code is a joke. If you are impaired or high, you can get off the hook saying that you weren't in control of your actions. Then in Abbotsford (or somewhere out there, can't really remember), the guy drives into a sushi restaurant and kills some people. He's apparently not accountable cause he has alcohol withdrawal or something and didn't know what he was doing. That's a freakin' joke. I was told (don't know if it's true or not), but if someone trespasses on your property with the intention to break into your house and slips cause you didn't shovel the snow, you can get sued. Of course, no idea if that's true or not.

Last edited by wing_woo; 12-07-2009 at 12:05 PM.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Banned (BBM)

^

the shoveling your driveway part i believe that is TRUE
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I dont see how a judge that rules the Home owner/store owner guilty can sleep at night..

thats ridiculous..
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

watch law abiding citizen..somewhat related to canadian system
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #23

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
I dont see how a judge that rules the Home owner/store owner guilty can sleep at night..

thats ridiculous..
well that one i can understand...but only to a certain degree...if you know your going to have people over and your drive way is full of ice...salt it...but if someones trying to break into your house and slips on your slippery stairs....he should go f*ck himself!

far to many people do this at stores....have a friend drop a jar of olive oil on the ground...30 seconds later the other friend goes down that aisle takes a nasty fall and sues big time...

hmmm....

anyone wanna go to safeway with me?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Most street Police would like to see the Canadian Criminal Code re-written and updated to reflect what is happening today. In some areas the victims have far less rights than the criminals that victimize them. At times it can seem like nobody is held accountable for their actions and there is an excuse for every illegal action.
Not true!

The victims are being held accountable for protecting themselves.
Quote:
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Case in popint is the Port Alberni storowner who shot a robber who was armed with a gun & was threatening his wife...paralyzed one of them, and stiillcould be looking at charges for using his gun in self defence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
what if the crook decided to attempt to rape his wife as well, is that grounds to do what you need to do to protect your family? or b/c the criminal is raping her, and not killing her, you cannot do anything, and should let her be raped? this is a serious question btw. i'm interested in how the criminal code would look at this
Quote:
You may only use as much force as the court later decides was needed, to defend yourself.
That's the part of it that's really ridiculous - someone who wasn't there, deciding later what the victim "should" have done, in the heat of the moment, under extreme duress, and at least the belief that his life and the lives of his family were in danger.

"Excuse me, I know you want to kill me with that bat, and I have a gun hidden behind my back that I can use to defend myself, but Imma take a minute here and just call up a judge to find out what I'm supposed to do. Could you just hold that thought?"
Quote: