REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Insurance declair value?

Just sold my scooter to someone and when doing the paper work at autoplan, the agent ask about the declair value and it is just a number I came up. so what does that do when the scooter get stolen in the future? so I sold the scooter for $2000 and I declair it as $3000. so ICBC is gonna pay the new owner 3K if the bike got stolen? if ICBC is paying the new owner market value instead then why are they asking the declair value of the scooter?
Advertisement
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

they might be referring to what amount you sold it for. THat is what I was asked when I sold my bike. You can insure a bike or scooter for any declared value, but it will affect the cost of insurance.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
they might be referring to what amount you sold it for. THat is what I was asked when I sold my bike. You can insure a bike or scooter for any declared value, but it will affect the cost of insurance.
the scooter was declared as a gift for cousin so no tax. the autoplan broker ask declared value just for the insurance purpose, if it does affect the cost of insurance does that mean they are going to pay the declared value when it got stolen/total lost? if they are not but paying market instead should I just told ICBC to declared to $500 to save insurance?

When I buy my new scooter, even the dealership declared a higer value than I paid so I was just thinking doing the same when selling my scooter.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
if the bike/scooter gets stolen, ICBC will pay out somewhere between the declared value and the market value. that being said, a higher declared value will slightly increase the insurance cost, altho it isnt alot.

with private insurance, you can have an agreed upon value in the contract, and that is the price you are paid out in a writeoff/theft. no bullshitting around.

my bike is insured for the market value of the bike plus the value of the aftermarket bits on it, plus a portion of my gear, plus tax. the declared value is the cost to replace, and yes, you can include gear in a settlement for a writeoff.

a brand new 600cc bike sells for about $12g but after tax and BS its closer to $14g. so the cost to replace the bike is $14g.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
so you sold your scooter to your cousin for $2,000 declared it as a gift to save $140 on taxes... so you just admitted to fraud on a public forum... smart...

but if you're asking about declared value for insurance, i think with ICBC, they pay out whichever is the lower value. If your declared value is higher than market value, they pay you market value. If market value is higher, they pay you declared value...

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
so you sold your scooter to your cousin for $2,000 declared it as a gift to save $140 on taxes... so you just admitted to fraud on a public forum... smart...

but if you're asking about declared value for insurance, i think with ICBC, they pay out whichever is the lower value. If your declared value is higher than market value, they pay you market value. If market value is higher, they pay you declared value...

Exactly. They won't pay you more then market value if you declare it above it but if you declare it at a super low value then they aren't going to pay you more then that number either. They'll just say you said it was only worth X amount of dollars and were paying insurance based on that, why would we pay you anymore then that? The goal is to try and declare it as close to market value as possible.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
your declared value should be a reflection of the market value. if you have recipts for aftermarket parts they can be included.