REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Relationships & School

just curious..

How do you guys balance your relationships and school? Do you tend to lose focus on your studies because you're distracted? Is it possible to keep up your good grades and still make time for your girlfriend/boyfriend or you don't even bother with having a relationship?

I'd like to know how you guys handle this situation..

JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You better be getting straight a's if you can't spare 30 minutes of sex taken out of your study time!
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
sometimes it's hard to find a balance, which is why I haven't been in a relationship for the majority of my college career so far...
I suppose it depends on the type of relationship you have and what's available to you. My buddy meets his girlfriend 3 to 4 times a week for more than several hours at a time. They're in a stable relationship.
I meet my girl one a week during the weekdays and she often sleeps over during the weekends (she's at UBC living in Vancouver and I'm at SFU living in Surrey), and we get along pretty well also.

As you'd imagine, we have sex almost every time we meet, and my buddy tells me he only has sex about once every other meeting.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

depends what type of person you are... my gf and and were dating through U and we're both graduated and working now...
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
depends what type of person you are... my gf and and were dating through U and we're both graduated and working now...
Agreed, it really depends on the dedication you have towards your schooling, having a girlfriend is like going out clubbing, you go out have a good time and you're back to your studies. It is also dependent on the girl you are dating, if shes a focused girl that is in school or working then great, she understands you need your space and she needs hers. If you've got a high maintenance girlfriend that just sits around all day and wants to go out to eat every meal and club every night, you might have a problem.
canadianaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

^ this
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Canadianboy is 2nd to phsixxxxx, zomfg mentor me plz.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Banned (BBM)

you go to school so you can screw, hit two birds with one stone

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
It's bullshit. It's not like you're studying at every waking moment for the next 4 years or whatever. That's inhumanly impossible.

IMO, the "I'm too busy" excuse is just a face saving excuse for not being able to having any. Trust me, relationships work whether people have other priorities such as work, school, etc.

Unless you have a really really needy partner.
Posted via RS Mobile
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

it's not that hard to balance. but if ur other half doesnt recognize ur need for study time, then we have a problem

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
I don't get it

I never really understood it when people say "I cant date because I have school"

But it def depends on the person you're dating, common interest and values is suuuper important i find. If one person's going to uni, and the other person's just bumming around doing jack all day long, it would be very difficult to keep that relationship going cause then the person going to school would feel pressured into seeing the other person excessively because theyve got all this free time on their hands. If both were going to school, then both people would understand the responsibilities and be able to work out a compromise that makes everyone happy.
When I have midterms and craploads of papers due I still take friday evenings to spend with my bf who probably also has a load of work to do, and then a few hours either sat or sun to grab a coffee or whatever cause I know I won't be "studying" or doing school work my ENTIRE weekend and can't spare 3 hours of my time.
As long as there's mutual understanding school shouldn't interfere with the relationship at all. You should never feel "obligated" to sacrifice time to spend together if there's a good understanding between the two people
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbeeTT View Post
As long as there's mutual understanding school shouldn't interfere with the relationship at all. You should never feel "obligated" to sacrifice time to spend together if there's a good understanding between the two people
Very well put! I would like to date you.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Um what if you are currently in a strictly sexual relationship with one of your female professors? What would one do in this situation?
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:
How do you guys balance your relationships and school?
well school comes first.
my boyfriend and I haven't seen each other on weekdays bcos we are both so busy
with school (especially with finals!) so it's not really a big deal lol
we're so busy we dont really notice it.
And plus, if my bf is really busy with school and im not.. its not like im gonna cry about it
lmao i dont want to be responsible for his bad grades

Last edited by ra1nn; 12-10-2009 at 05:54 PM.
ra1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
we just put off time when we both have finals, and wen we have time we spend them together
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
do you guys ever feel distracted from your studies and more focused on your girlfriend/boyfriend? like for example if you're thinking about them, just had an argument and whatnot and can't seem to get your mind off them..
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
i've chosen while in school i have no time for relationships. Same goes when you work 2 jobs. Just going to have to really on the right hand for a while :P
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 AM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Speaking of which, why the hell do girls pick the worst time to have that talk to mutually break up? I HAVE FINALS TILL THE 22nd WOMAN!!
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
do you guys ever feel distracted from your studies and more focused on your girlfriend/boyfriend? like for example if you're thinking about them, just had an argument and whatnot and can't seem to get your mind off them..
As mentioned above, I think it all comes down to your priorities. If one person prioritizes the relationship and the other prioritizes education, then I'd imagine it'd be extremely difficult to find a satisfiable medium. If you have trouble prioritizing to begin with (i.e. the reason I surmise one might be having this dilemma), then I think it's less of an issue regarding balancing relationship and school.

Whenever that happens to me, (just like any time my emotions get in my way), I just convince myself to think real. As much as I love this girl, no school=no job=no money=no girl.
...or something of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choda View Post
Speaking of which, why the hell do girls pick the worst time to have that talk to mutually break up? I HAVE FINALS TILL THE 22nd WOMAN!!
Ha! This happened to me in highschool. The girl I was seeing made us go on a "break" on the week of my provincial exams I needed for university application.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #20
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol what the fuck are you guys talking about.

if you can't juggle school and a relationship, HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO JUGGLE WORK AND A RELATIONSHIP!?!?. that's REAL life.

and unlike the academic life, you can't skip when you're ultra hung over/sick, and you usually have to work EVERYDAY. for 8 hours. or more. sure you probably won't have to study or do homework, but you know dragging your ass to work every morning on time after staying up late on RS/clubbing/video games and shit that is inevitably gonna happen makes going to work a lot harder than you think LOL.

if you can't juggle both, you're probably working really inefficiently or a workaholic, or both.

you can't prioritize one or the other, that's stupid. you do it day by day, week by week.

finals obviously prioritize over a night out with your SO.
your anniversary or their birthday, probably prioritizes over some studying.

use your heads, some shit can be skipped, some can't.

the worst thing is telling your SO that school is more important. no one likes to have school prioritized over them, even if they're not your SO. i mean unless it's a final or some really big thing.

if you have a really clingy SO, tell them to study with you, or just study at home, get them to watch their TV shows and you can study or do whatever else.

don't tell me you can't concentrate while at home or whatever. you should be able to concentrate anywhere you fucking are, if not, learn it, it's a life skill to be able to critically think in any situation anywhere, a life SAVING skill I should add.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Depends on your major. If you're in Arts or Commerce and taking 4 courses a term and going to school 3-4 days a week for a couple of hours a day, of course if you have time. If you're in Engineering and have 7 courses every term and having 26h of class + labs every week.. HUGE difference. Then again, some people do need study time to do well, while others can do well without much effort.

I've seen people do crappy in school cuz of some chick, which imo means your priorities are in the wrong place. The chick won't get you a decent job or career after school, no matter how hot she is, unless her daddy knows someone.

Dating while working is INFINITELY easier than dating while in school. Why? You don't have homework and assignments tying you up in the evenings and weekends!

To the OP, I guess my advice is.. date if you want/can, but don't let it derail your schooling.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i've met many classmates that have a husband and kids and going to full time school + extra lab time outside of classes......when school is over you got the kids to take care of and usually the ladies are stuck cooking and nurturing for the family PLUS having to find time to do the studying..... if you are dedicated to what you are studying and the SO is understanding of your priorities then anything can work.... and remember that no matter how busy you are, it's no excuse not to make time for your SO if you really care for the person. There's always ways to squeeze in time for one another
XtC_13aBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #23
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

ulic = always right
juicyjum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 AM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

tttttttttttttt

Last edited by JmasterB; 02-11-2013 at 12:49 AM.
JmasterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
lol what the fuck are you guys talking about.

if you can't juggle school and a relationship, HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING TO JUGGLE WORK AND A RELATIONSHIP!?!?. that's REAL life.

and unlike the academic life, you can't skip when you're ultra hung over/sick, and you usually have to work EVERYDAY. for 8 hours. or more. sure you probably won't have to study or do homework, but you know dragging your ass to work every morning on time after staying up late on RS/clubbing/video games and shit that is inevitably gonna happen makes going to work a lot harder than you think LOL.

if you can't juggle both, you're probably working really inefficiently or a workaholic, or both.

you can't prioritize one or the other, that's stupid. you do it day by day, week by week.

finals obviously prioritize over a night out with your SO.
your anniversary or their birthday, probably prioritizes over some studying.

use your heads, some shit can be skipped, some can't.

the worst thing is telling your SO that school is more important. no one likes to have school prioritized over them, even if they're not your SO. i mean unless it's a final or some really big thing.

if you have a really clingy SO, tell them to study with you, or just study at home, get them to watch their TV shows and you can study or do whatever else.

don't tell me you can't concentrate while at home or whatever. you should be able to concentrate anywhere you fucking are, if not, learn it, it's a life skill to be able to critically think in any situation anywhere, a life SAVING skill I should add.
girls = distraction.

don't need distractions and headaches while trying to get good grades/career in school.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote