REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Driver Improvement Program (https://www.revscene.net/forums/599271-drivesmartbc-driver-improvement-program.html)

skidmark 12-10-2009 07:40 PM

DriveSmartBC - Driver Improvement Program

The Driver Improvement Program sounds like something designed to increase a driver's skills and make them a safer, more accomplished operator of a motor vehicle. That isn't the case however, it is the Superintendent of Motor Vehicle's way of telling you that you have too many violations and that a prohibition from driving is in your future. Other than hoping you heed the message and drive properly, that is the only "improvement" on offer.

A quick scan of the Policies and Guidelines will find that a driver in the Graduated Licensing Program (GLP) faces a warning letter, probation and the possibility of a 1 to 9 month prohibition if they receive between 2 and 6 penalty points in a two year period.

In contrast, an "adult" experienced driver faces a warning letter if they receive between 9 and 14 points in that time period. They will face probation and prohibition once they receive between 15 and 19 points. The only exception to this is if they are convicted of any combination of two of the following offences within a one year period: excessive speed, driving without due care and attention or driving without reasonable consideration for others.

A parent I corresponded with expressed the opinion that this was too sudden and too harsh for their teen driver. While I sympathize with the teen, I really think that it is happening far too late for experienced, adult drivers instead. Shouldn't they be held to a higher standard and set the example?

Reference Links

xpl0sive 12-11-2009 10:21 AM

funny, i have a class 5 and was prohibited after 13 points... no convictions for excessive speed or due care... i guess i will be writing a letter to the superintendent

skidmark 12-11-2009 11:18 AM

The Superintendent can prohibit at any time based on "the public interest." The guidelines for deciding are as I indicated in my post. Because they are just guidelines, the prohibition may be considered sooner or later depending on the reviewer.

yvrnycracer 12-11-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6723406)
The Superintendent can prohibit at any time based on "the public interest." The guidelines for deciding are as I indicated in my post. Because they are just guidelines, the prohibition may be considered sooner or later depending on the reviewer.

sounds like such a SOLID FAIR SYSTEM... :rolleyes:

TheSalesman 12-11-2009 02:27 PM

They should be able to take a bunch of people off the road and have them go through driving school again because there are way too many people that don't know the rules of the road too. That would be a better driver improvement program especially if it is based on "the public interest".

stevo911_ 12-11-2009 03:00 PM

^thats what they do in europe!

TheSalesman 12-11-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 6723596)
^thats what they do in europe!

really? wow they need to do that here for sure then.

LiquidTurbo 12-12-2009 01:33 AM

I've been driving for almost 8 years with a spotless record.

This year however, I racked up 8 points (3 offenses) in a period of 1 month. I know, very stupid.

Does this mean I'm in the clear for receiving a warning letter/prohibition, and only have to pay my Driver Risk Premium?

LiquidTurbo 12-12-2009 01:46 AM

Some more information about this program :

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/publi...nt-program.pdf

Soundy 12-12-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 6723515)
They should be able to take a bunch of people off the road and have them go through driving school again because there are way too many people that don't know the rules of the road too. That would be a better driver improvement program especially if it is based on "the public interest".

Mandatory driver ed in high school, is what I'm saying. It's done in a good part of the rest of the world - my wife, for example, went through it in her school in Chicago. She's been driving 28+ years now, no accidents, no tickets.

Grade 9 or 10 - make it a one-week part of Social Studies or something. Not that difficult, and doesn't need to be that expensive, just to have a classroom program; ICBC and the gov't could co-sponsor it. Only need a few trainers (or sets of trainers) - one week per school, through even half the school year, they could cover the province in no time.

Instead of slapping on all these rules and stages and "you can't do this or that, zero tolerance" GLP crap that STILL DOESN'T TEACH THE RULES OF THE ROAD, how much more would they save if kids KNEW this stuff before even going for their learner's?