REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

95 GSR VTEC Problem

early thanks to the ones who give help to this topic!

Here's the dealio with my 95 GSR....

I have checked to make sure the engine is a b18c1, not a regular b series with a vtec cover. Ive changed the engine oil so its not one of those give it an oil change and it'll work again.

My VTEC is not engaging. i am able to rev all the way to 9k but no vtec. I've previously owned a TSX so I know what VTEC sounds and feels like. I have been told that unlike the K series motor found in the TSX, the B series motors VTEC is slightly different when it comes to when VTEC is engaged. In the TSX, VTEC comes on around 6k and its a slight difference in sound, and a different feel in the pull of the car. I have been told the VTEC comes on around 4500rpm in the GSR and then the secondary runners or intake manifolds engage around 6500rpm. I talked to a mechanic who has worked on Integras before, he says thats not correct as the secondary runners are supposed to engage before VTEC. For starters, someone who has driven a GSR please tell me if VTEC goes before the secondaries or the other way around.

bottom line, please give me some pointers on getting the VTEC to kick in again. I have not been able to have the the thrill of having the vtec scream (hoping it does)

thanks everyone!

Cheers
Advertisement
fokiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
First of all don't go back to that mechanic. Check your oil pressure.. if you can. If you low pressure.. no VTAK. Should come on around 5K or there abouts and you "should" notice it (if you have stock exhaust you might not VTAK is supposed to be smooth and not abrupt like everyone things especially in a GSR) If you have good oil pressure your VTAK solenoid might be clogged. That's the thing on the left side of your valve cover that looks like a little knob but isn't. Take it off and check the screens to make sure they are not clogged and rinse it off while you have it off.

VTAK engages first then the secondary's open up at a higher RPM. I have GSR cams in my car right now and you can both feel and hear a drastic difference.

Good luck.

Berz out.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Really? I spent a lot of time in a friend's GSR and a Prelude SRV 15 years ago, both of which weren't heavily modified. When the VTEC kicked in during hard acceleration, you DEFINITELY could hear it - it was like a bloodcurdling metallic scream! (mods were only bolt-ons like MSD, cone intake, full exhaust, VTEC controller).
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Ricer Mod

Lol everything you said he had for mods makes VTAK louder. Especially an intake it actually sounds louder in the engine with an intake than coming out the exhaust.

If you can't tell if its working... its not working.

Berz out.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
vtec isn't as noticeable in a b18c1 compared to h22. because i was comparing it to the b16 i'd ridden in before, back in the day when i did my gsr swap, i thought something was awry with it as well
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Ricer Mod

The GSR is designed to be a more efficient smoother motor that's why the redone head and intake combo. More fuel efficiency and smoother powerband.

Berz out.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
VTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Ricer Mod

Yo?

Berz out.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
First of all don't go back to that mechanic. Check your oil pressure.. if you can. If you low pressure.. no VTAK. Should come on around 5K or there abouts and you "should" notice it (if you have stock exhaust you might not VTAK is supposed to be smooth and not abrupt like everyone things especially in a GSR) If you have good oil pressure your VTAK solenoid might be clogged. That's the thing on the left side of your valve cover that looks like a little knob but isn't. Take it off and check the screens to make sure they are not clogged and rinse it off while you have it off.

VTAK engages first then the secondary's open up at a higher RPM. I have GSR cams in my car right now and you can both feel and hear a drastic difference.

Good luck.

Berz out.
x2 Good place to start... and I also agree with staying the fuck away from that mechanic. If the problem persists, take your car to one of the sponsers or even the dealer to have it checked out. Before people jump on my nuts about going to the dealer, you're really not saving that much money by going to a private mechanic. Especially if they aren't that familiar with your car/motor. Best to take it to someone who knows your motor inside and out, and will fix the problem properly, the first time around.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Do you have any CEL's?
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Ricer Mod

OOH Good question, good question. How long have you had the car for?

Berz out.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Ive had the car for over a month now. Everything is stock as far as I am aware of.Intake manifold is oem. based on the fact that its all stock, i didnt anticipate much noise as usual stock systems are quite quiet. However, the mechanic has done this wiring method to prove to me that vtec is running. He had two wires run from under the hood that would manually engage the vtec once the wires touch. we took it out for a drive and when he touches the wires while im reving it, i would say the noise changes at about 6-7k and the feel in the pull is noticeably different. I am thinking that the solenoid screen is possibly dirty, however after doing the manual vtec engagement, if the screen was dirty, shouldnt the vtec fail?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Ricer Mod

Yep if the screen is dirty then the manual override won't work. Next I would check oil pressure... oh also if your car is cold VTAK won't engage it has to be at operating temperature.

6-7K is way to high for VTAK to be engaging that is the secondaries opening up in the intake manifold. That will change intake sound and power but not like VTAK.

I still think its not working and your "mechanic" doesn't really know what he's doing.

VTAK on GSR engages at about 4800 so the "noise" and feel should be around there.

Berz out.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

When VTEC kicks in on the GSR, is it drastically noticeable in sound and feel? the VTEC on the TSX was rather subtle in terms of noise, and more noticeable in terms of feel. haha does that make sense? thanks for your help on this Berz
Old 12-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Top off your VTEC fluid!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

lololol vtec fluid, least its not your VTECH fluid. Oil pressure and temperature then i would check the solenoid. But VTEC is usually pretty noticeable in most Hondas/Acuras. Atleast the F20C and the F22C and H22A it is.
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokiroki View Post
When VTEC kicks in on the GSR, is it drastically noticeable in sound and feel? the VTEC on the TSX was rather subtle in terms of noise, and more noticeable in terms of feel. haha does that make sense? thanks for your help on this Berz
I personally had a 94 GSR for 2 yrs and vtec kicks in at around 4300 rpm. It is very noticable in terms of noise so if you're not noticing any change especially when you are paying close attention trying to catch that change, then its probably not engaging. Just go on youtube, theres like a billion videos on vtec crossover for a b18c1.