REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Not really a question about the MVA or anything just need legal advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/599508-not-really-question-about-mva-anything-just-need-legal-advice.html)

XtC-604 12-13-2009 08:36 AM

Not really a question about the MVA or anything just need legal advice

I'm wanting to take action against rogers wireless. Long story short, i recently got a smartphone and went to a rogers store to have them add data to my current plan. My old phone had a contract of just over a year left. The representative at the rogers store then added in data for me to my current plan. But what i did not know was he also extended my contract to four years without ever telling me. To clarify I did NOT receive a new phone from Rogers, this new smartphone i'm speaking of was purchased in Asia and unlocked and brought back. So now I have a 4 year contract in their system. I spoke with Rogers customer relation, they told me to go back to the store. I went back and they refused to do anything about it. I'm about to speak with customer relations again. If they don't remove the added 3 years, is there any legal action i can take?

Thanks!

ninjatune 12-13-2009 09:25 AM

Civil matter, contact a lawyer.

jlenko 12-13-2009 11:11 AM

Did you sign anything?

XtC-604 12-13-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6725826)
Did you sign anything?

Yes i did, but the rogers rep at the rogers store just said it was to acknowledge that i'm adding data to my plan. HE NEVER MENTIONED that i would be extending my contract to 4 years...but hey i mean i didn't get a hardware upgrade or anything nor did i get a better deal on my monthly plan, just a regular priced plan, so why would i extend contract?

SumAznGuy 12-13-2009 05:42 PM

Call Rogers with your cell. *611 and ask to speak to customer service. If they cannot or refuse to help you, then ask to speak to the cancelation department and threaten to cancel your contract. The CSR's in that department are authorized to give you a better deal than any regular CSR.

And this should really be in the cell phone chat forums.

BTW, even if you cancel your contract, it is only $300.

Now, how the heck did they extend your contract to 4 years? Everytime I resign, it is a new contract for 3 years, even when I had 2 years left in my contract.

sho_bc 12-13-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6726026)
Yes i did, but the rogers rep at the rogers store just said it was to acknowledge that i'm adding data to my plan. HE NEVER MENTIONED that i would be extending my contract to 4 years...

That is why you ALWAYS read everything you are about to sign prior to signing. You should have received a copy of what you signed as well; I would re-read what is written down prior to making any phone calls so you know what you're talking about.

XtC-604 12-13-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6726464)
That is why you ALWAYS read everything you are about to sign prior to signing. You should have received a copy of what you signed as well; I would re-read what is written down prior to making any phone calls so you know what you're talking about.

would you expect that an authorized rogers wireless store pull a quick one on you for something so simple?

jlenko 12-13-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6726931)
would you expect that an authorized rogers wireless store pull a quick one on you for something so simple?

Pfft... you should ALWAYS expect something like this to happen in the cutthroat cell-phone industry in Canada...

sho_bc 12-13-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6726931)

Yes. All cell phone companies want you tied into them for as long as they can keep you. If you sign any legal document without reading it and understanding it, more fool you.