REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Sleeping in the car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/600227-sleeping-car.html)

Rated-Z 12-20-2009 09:08 AM

Sleeping in the car?

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd ask:

Is it a ticketable offence to pull over and sleep in the car if you find yourself too tired to be driving?

I was talking to a friend last night and she was adamant she knew someone who, because he was tired at night, pull over and took a nap in the car and was then woken up and warned for doing so. (I can't remember if he actually received a ticket)

I would think, if a driver is drowsy, that pulling over and napping would be the safer than trying to make it home?

Thanks.

Y2K_o__o 12-20-2009 09:11 AM

I heard that you are not allow to sleep in "driver seat", but "passenger seat"....

correct me if I am wrong

stevo911_ 12-20-2009 09:44 AM

driving when you're too tired to do so could be considered impaired driving, and most drivers training places tell you to pull over and have a snooze if necessary. Thats the first i've heard of drivers seat vs passenger seat though

Rated-Z 12-20-2009 10:54 AM

Right, that makes sense to me too.

But why would someone be warned by an officer for sleeping in a car?

And could someone receive an actual ticket for for it?

illicitstylz 12-20-2009 11:00 AM

Is this in relation to drinking in anyway?

Say a cop wakes you up at your car while you're sleeping:
- in passenger seat
- keys in pocket and not ignition
- intoxicated with alcohol

crime?
Posted via RS Mobile

Rated-Z 12-20-2009 11:10 AM

No, no it wasn't. He had a long day at work, was tired going home and pulled over somewhere for a nap...

Solo_D33A 12-20-2009 01:20 PM

well, I did a few times, but found somewhere on side street or park area.... and slept in passenger seat because if I sleep on the driver seat, the seat will get warm/hot then when you drive, it's uncomfortable... usually they warn you, but I think it's good for them to do so, at least if you have any medical emergency or dead, you'll look more of less the same as sleeping....

jackmeister 12-20-2009 02:26 PM

i believe in the RoadSense book it tells you to pull over to rest/nap if you find yourself too tired to drive.

azzurro32 12-20-2009 02:30 PM

I think it's only bad if you are intoxicated cause you would be in control of a vehicle. If you are just tired then I don't see any wrong doing.
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 12-20-2009 02:45 PM

The only thing wrong with it, is if you're a heavy sleeper and don't respond to our banging on the window/yelling. At that point, I break the glass to gain entry (if all doors are locked) to ensure you're not dead or in need of medical attention. Just make sure you're not blocking the roadway, parked in a safe/legal place to park.

TRDood 12-20-2009 03:05 PM

i don't see anything wrong if you are parked legally.

if you park on the side in the middle of a highway, of course cops are going to hassle you because you are putting your life in danger as well as other motorists

hirevtuner 12-20-2009 06:51 PM

parking legally and sleep with a crack of the window so you can hear what's going on outside

Rated-Z 12-20-2009 07:32 PM

Yeah, it all sounds reasonable.

I just couldn't figure out why that person would've been woken up and "warned" not to sleep in the car.

Checking to make sure it's not a medical emergency makes sense though. Although that applies to sleeping on any seat in the car. =P

AzNightmare 12-20-2009 09:42 PM

If you pulled over and parked in a legal parking spot, meaning your vehicle is allowed to be there, I don't see why it would be a problem if you were sleeping in there.

This is equivalent to asking are you allowed to sleep in your car that is parked in a parking lot.

Timpo 01-05-2010 06:59 AM

I don't see why would it be illegal? as long as where you park your car does not jeorpardize other drivers' safety.
what if you feel sick? keep driving is not safe...and drawsiness is same thing.

even if it's illegal(to pull over and rest) and get a ticket for it, I'm sure you can use "defence of necessity" in court.

stotch 01-12-2010 04:35 PM

Once I was working graveyard security in the downtown east side in an alley, I dozed off and woke up with a cop knocking on my window. He didn't bitch one bit in fact he even offered to go pick me up a cup of coffee, so I think its perfectly fine.

Also the keys were in the ignition and turned so that my radio was playing so I don't think its even necessary to move to the passenger seat.

sebberry 01-12-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stotch (Post 6767135)
Once I was working graveyard security in the downtown east side in an alley, I dozed off and woke up with a cop knocking on my window. He didn't bitch one bit in fact he even offered to go pick me up a cup of coffee, so I think its perfectly fine.

Also the keys were in the ignition and turned so that my radio was playing so I don't think its even necessary to move to the passenger seat.

Juse because one cop allowed it to happen doesn't mean it is legal.

skidmark 01-12-2010 08:18 PM

No reason that I can think of that would prevent you from sleeping in the driver's seat, at least while you were parked anyway! :)

CRS 01-12-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6767186)
Juse because one cop allowed it to happen doesn't mean it is legal.

Ironic how one cop can make a mistake and yet you blame all cops of being crooks.

Hmmm irony and hypocrisy at its best.

liu13 01-12-2010 08:46 PM

if intoxicated and still have keys, i think it's illegal and can be fined heavily

any confirmation?

zulutango 01-13-2010 07:38 AM

It's called "care and control`. In short, yes. Not only fined but Criminal Code record, vehicle impound & storage charges, driving prohibition etc.

Dazzl240 01-15-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 6767510)
if intoxicated and still have keys, i think it's illegal and can be fined heavily

any confirmation?

If your in the drivers seat, its illegal because you still have "control over the vehicle" by law. If your sitting in the passenger seat or in the back its fine.

Even if the car is turned off and the keys aren't in the ignition its still not allowed by law.

misteranswer 01-15-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6768060)
It's called "care and control`. In short, yes. Not only fined but Criminal Code record, vehicle impound & storage charges, driving prohibition etc.

Were you answering the previous post or the original?

Phil@rise 01-15-2010 05:33 PM

If you are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol then it is legal to park and sleep off some drowsiness.
If a cop see's you sleeping they are obligated to check on you to ensure you are not dead intoxicated or in any danger.

zulutango 01-15-2010 08:44 PM

I was answering Post # 21. BTW Post # 22 is not correct. Don't bet your DL and a Criminal record on it. Anywhere in the car with the keys can be considered care & control if the court decides it is. Stay away if you are impaired.