REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

2003 1.7el whining noise

my gf has a 2003 acura 1.7el. the engine makes a whining noise that gets louder as you accelerate and seems to go away when the engine is warmed up.

it doesnt sound like a belt. but today when she started her car after work there was smoke coming from underneath the hood. she let it idle and the smoke went away. when she got home i lifted the hood and i could hear a faint clicking noise, i could also smell something like rubber or electrical burning. it definately wasnt cooling burning.

the cars temperature is normal.

any info or ideas would be great. by the way the car only has 80,000km on it
Advertisement
bigpun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
i would check your belts to be safe. the whining noise i had from my car was an alternator belt that had to be changed. got worse when it was wet. if not, just bring it to a mechanic and they should find the problem easily.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

thanks man. im just worried about her driving it. i think she's gonna be driving my integra for now. just dont have the time to get it into the shop, and broke my foot the other day so im useless
bigpun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Had something similar with my 1.6EL. It would be okay on nice days, but on cold/wet days it would whine like crazy. Had the belts changed and it went away.
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I don't know if the 1.7's are similar but the 1.6 had a tensioner for the AC belt that tends to whine like you describe. It may need to be adjusted (which will also tighten up the loose belt if that was why it was smokey under the hood). The clicking is probably from the ac compressor (normal if it was on or in defrost/defog mode).
Old 12-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

i would say take it to a mech
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote