REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Working abroad?

Hey guys,

Wanting to know if you guys can direct me in with some help or directions.
Im wanting to work abroad in Vietnam/Thailand. Is there any agencies in vancouver that can help with this? or any websites?

I just want something to give me some money while doing some low key traveling in the area. Id like to be gone for a 1 year work visa if possible.
Advertisement

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #2

nothing?

www.l2sc.net
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
PM scottsman as he is working in Vietnam right now.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

what kind of work are you interested in doing?

Only thing I can think of that would be in fitting with the 1 year work visa would be english teaching. I will get back to you regarding some of the english language schools here.

Aside from that not many companies would hire you for a year. Also, it can be difficult to find a job with out having your feet on the ground here.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #5

http://www.eslbase.com/schools/vietnam

Apollo and ILA are a good choice for Vietnam because they have locations in the 3 biggest cities(HCMC, Hanoi, Da Nang).

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but Hanoi International School and Oxford UK English Vietnam(both Hanoi) are pretty major schools and people will pay like 20,000$usd for yearly tuition. Wouldnt be a bad choice either.

Let me ask around and see how the english teachers were able to get thier jobs.
Try www.indanang.com. The guy that runs this website is an english teacher. I am sure if you sent him an email and made some inquiries he would be more than happy to help you out.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Would you be able to find out if there's a requirement to have a degree (to teach)? I know that it's required (legally) in parts of China, Japan, HK.. not sure about Vietnam.

Thanks
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info!

Ya i thought id need some type of degree to teach english. Having some type of employment prior to going there would be preferable but i can see how that can be an issue. Getting there would be the first step.

www.l2sc.net
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Would you be able to find out if there's a requirement to have a degree (to teach)? I know that it's required (legally) in parts of China, Japan, HK.. not sure about Vietnam.
Check out the websites I posted. They have contact info for the individual schools. Best bet is to inquire with the school that is in the city you want to be in for 6 months - 1 year. From what I have seen so far I would doubt that many of the people have degrees.

Getting here is pretty easy, even if you do not have a job yet. I would suggest a 3 month multiple entry visa which will allow you to move around freely and also give yourself time to get setteled. If you dont like what you see then you can try somewhere else.

Monthly hotel rates are cheap and cost of living is cheap. IF you're prepared to rough it a bit and not expect the same conveniences as back home.

Try the info I posted and if your still stuck then I will ask around.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #9

THere is a good Vietnam Travel Agent near the Canadian Tire on Kingsway. If your driving towards Knight and you go about 1 block past Canadian Tire its on your left side.