REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Ski/snowboard: Inexpensive beginner gear (clothing)? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/601118-ski-snowboard-inexpensive-beginner-gear-clothing.html)

RabidRat 12-30-2009 09:03 AM

Ski/snowboard: Inexpensive beginner gear (clothing)?

I want to get my gf into snowboarding but she doesn't want to invest too much before deciding if she's into it.

We got her a decent jacket and some good gloves, but she's still missing pants. Where's a good place to go for the cheaper variety ($50-75)?

Vangruver 12-30-2009 10:58 AM

Two places.

Craigslist.

and

Sports Junkies.

racerman88 01-04-2010 07:30 PM

just look around and you can find deals. Check out Comor, sports check or boardroom. You be able to find something in your price range. Just talk to a salesperson and tell them you have a budget.

fille 01-08-2010 09:46 PM

want pants?

I have an extra pair of women's small burton snowboard pants

they're brown and i've only worn twice
want them for $50?

Volvo-brickster 01-09-2010 08:55 PM

Sport check and sport mart you can usually find some decent deals.

As for used...ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

But honestly for pants, the cheaper you go, the less water resistant they are and you get a cold butt.

If you are learning and are constantly falling / sitting on the snow, the last thing you want is to be cold.

TRDood 01-09-2010 10:01 PM

www.backcountry.com

look for the outlet icon
Posted via RS Mobile

Abstraktz 01-17-2010 09:13 AM

IMO don't cheap out on gear especially clothing. you wanna have good quality stuff that's durable and water repellent and she probly wants to look cute while she's boarding too lol. If you're looking to save money somewhere look into buying a used board and bindings. That being said you don't need to buy top of the line clothing there are bargains out there you just have to look around or wait for the off season when stores clear out all their shit. Also, I don't think I know anyone who has tried snowboarding and didn't enjoy it =)

misteranswer 01-17-2010 12:46 PM

MEC

saveth 01-17-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraktz (Post 6774108)
Also, I don't think I know anyone who has tried snowboarding and didn't enjoy it =)

same here. I've had friends come back injured while learning to board and they're still at it.

FN-2199 01-17-2010 12:56 PM

Used = yuck!

You an get a cheap beginner pair at Sportchek for $100 or less. If you're going to spend $75, minus well spend an extra $25 on a new pair.

...or rent some snow pants if you're really cheap.

Girl 01-19-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraktz (Post 6774108)
IMO don't cheap out on gear especially clothing. you wanna have good quality stuff that's durable and water repellent and she probly wants to look cute while she's boarding too lol. If you're looking to save money somewhere look into buying a used board and bindings. That being said you don't need to buy top of the line clothing there are bargains out there you just have to look around or wait for the off season when stores clear out all their shit. Also, I don't think I know anyone who has tried snowboarding and didn't enjoy it =)

+1 There's no point spending $50 on a pair of shit pants, and have her cold and wet on the first day cuz most likely she'll spend time on her ass. And say she did enjoy it, besides being cold and wet, she'd have to go back out there and buy another pair for $150.

I always wanted to try boarding but never did until my bf got me into it. We started assembling my gear throughout a period of time, making dedicated days for certain items and just making a day of it. He was really into picking everythign out for me and made it fun. The big thing is getting a good waterproof jacket with a snowskirt, good snowpants, and gloves. Those things you can always use. I found most of my stuff on W4th at all the boarding shops around Boxing Day. I got brand new bindings for a great deal from a friend on Facebook. Try asking around.

I say if she's tight on cash, borrow a friends, give it a shot before buying any gear she won't be using.