REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Not Displaying An N? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/601691-not-displaying-n.html)

sondizzle 01-05-2010 12:07 PM

Not Displaying An N?

so two years and 3 months ago, in october, i recieved two tickets, which caused me to lose my license, one was turning right when i wasn't supposed to, and one was going to fast around a suggested speed corner, which i didnt really understand..
anyways, i just got a ticket in december for not displaying my N ( my car got a flat tire, my N is taped on to my bumper as the whole rear is plastic ) so my dad came and picked up my car, and let me take his while he took my car home. 5 minutes after i went through a road block and i recieved a ticket for not having my N up.
now i understand i can have one of two offences, either driving contrary to restriction, or driving without displaying N. the cop gave me driving contrary to restriction, which as far as i understand, gives me points.
now.. since i lost my license and i had to have my N for another 2 years, do my points restart? or are the points i had from the last time still on my record?
like if i pay this ticket, do i lose my license?
also, on the ticket he didnt write the full date, and he wrote the wrong year of the car i was driving..

FN-2199 01-05-2010 01:02 PM

Pay the ticket. You don't get any points for nit displaying your N, and your points do accumulate even after your suspension.
Be warned, though. The next ticket you get that inherits you a few points means you're suspended for a year and a hefty fine.
Posted via RS Mobile

FN-2199 01-05-2010 01:04 PM

If the cop gave you a different type of ticket, dispute it. It should be a ticket specifically for not displaying your N.
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 01-05-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRomey (Post 6756046)
Pay the ticket. You don't get any points for nit displaying your N, and your points do accumulate even after your suspension.
Be warned, though. The next ticket you get that inherits you a few points means you're suspended for a year and a hefty fine.
Posted via RS Mobile

Wrong....

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRomey (Post 6756048)
If the cop gave you a different type of ticket, dispute it. It should be a ticket specifically for not displaying your N.
Posted via RS Mobile

And wrong.

Drive Contrary to Restrictions does carry points. And being that displaying an official New Drivers sign is part of the restrictions on a New Drivers licence, it is a completely legitimate ticket. However, whether you got a "fail to display N sign" ticket or a "drive contrary" ticket, the reviewer of your file could still decide to yank your licence again.

*edit*
What do you mean when you say the full date wasn't written?

zulutango 01-05-2010 01:33 PM

If you are charged with drive contrary to restrictions you get 2 points. Failing to comply with any/all of the restrictions means you are failing to comply. ONE of the restrictions is that you must display official new driver sign. You know the rest of them. There is also a section for just failing to display the N, with no points. One could speculate that the Member saw your two previous convictions and decided to use the section they did ? Pure speculation, but that thought would have crossed my mind.

As far as the wrong year of the car goes...."shaded areas are not part of the offence charged"...BUT a defective date could be. At trial, the issuing Member can request that the JP permit him/her to change the date, before the actual trial begins that day. I have never seen it become a "fatal flaw" in the Crown's case. On the other hand, if the date is defective, quality control in the court system may bounce it back at the Cop and he/she will have the option of issuing you a new ticket within 12 months or just tossing it.

You have a number of options to follow...knowing that you did violate the restrictions on your DL. Pay up & get the discount, write in and pleade guilty and explain the circumstances, requesting a reduced fine, wait to see what happens with the "defective" ticket and maybe loose your $25 discount, contest the ticket and ask the JP to toss it if the date is really deemed to make the ticket defective, go to court and the Cop updates the VT and loose because even you admit the N was not there and it would come out in cross examination by the Cop. You decide what way to go.

CRS 01-05-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRomey (Post 6756048)
Posted via RS Mobile

:Petting

FN-2199 01-05-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6756062)
Wrong....

And wrong.

Drive Contrary to Restrictions does carry points. And being that displaying an official New Drivers sign is part of the restrictions on a New Drivers licence, it is a completely legitimate ticket. However, whether you got a "fail to display N sign" ticket or a "drive contrary" ticket, the reviewer of your file could still decide to yank your licence again.

*edit*
What do you mean when you say the full date wasn't written?

I never said that Drive Contrary to Restrictions didn't carry points. I said that failure to display an N doesn't, and that he should dispute it because he could get a lesser ticket. I've seen people do it.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 01-05-2010 04:51 PM

He can only dispute the VT he got. He was given an appropriate VT from 2 options the Member had. The charge cannot be changed unless the original VT is cancelled & a new one is issued, within 12 months of the original offense date.

ilvtofu 01-05-2010 07:42 PM

Off topic, but today my N was stolen off the back of my car right in front of my face outside of school by some girl. Is there anything I can do next time?

teaoh 01-05-2010 08:22 PM

^no not really, you shouldnt confront people in these type of situations

Rx harnek 01-05-2010 08:48 PM

^ true because people are going to do it no matter what because it aint just going to be students who taking it its other people and lil goofs who do it for fun too. jus put it in ur car wen u park or somin like dat

jlenko 01-05-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6756753)
Off topic, but today my N was stolen off the back of my car right in front of my face outside of school by some girl. Is there anything I can do next time?

Ask her for her phone number? She's obviously got more guts than you do :)

Why don't you carry a spare N in the glove box... even a print-out of the one from the ICBC website works in a pinch. Electrical tape does not...

skidmark 01-06-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

You don't get any points for nit displaying your N

As those that read and search here know, that is not correct. If you are charged and convicted under 25(15) MVA, you do get points.

FN-2199 01-06-2010 12:31 PM

^ really? I've had friends that have gotten the ticket and didn't recieve any points. But, My understanding is, if you get more than one ticket for not displaying an N, the Superintendant can prohibit you.

Here's the chart:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...riables._frag_
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 01-06-2010 12:45 PM

As has been stated, there are two charge sections for not displaying your "N": Section 25(15) MVA - Drive Contrary to Restrictions, and Section .... 30(1) MVAR - Fail to Display "N" Sign.

Section 25(15) MVAR - Drive Contrary to Restrictions does carry points, where as Fail to Display "N" Sign does not.

The Superintendent can suspend your licence for any violation ticket if it so chooses.

CRS 01-06-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRomey (Post 6757663)
^ really? I've had friends that have gotten the ticket and didn't recieve any points. But, My understanding is, if you get more than one ticket for not displaying an N, the Superintendant can prohibit you.

Here's the chart:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...riables._frag_
Posted via RS Mobile

What you're failing to see/realize is that there is 2 possible choices of tickets that can be given for not displaying your 'N' sign.

First that does not carry points is the failure to display one.

Second that does carry points is driving contrary to restrictions.

So the officer has the desecration to do give out either one. Technically, both are correct and valid tickets. It says right on the back of your class 7N/L licence that you are required to put up a sign as a restriction.

*Edit:
Sho_bc just beat me. hahaha double post!

FN-2199 01-06-2010 12:55 PM

You're correct. Like I said earlier, I know that drive contrary to restrictions carries points. I'm simply emphasizing that failure to display an N does not hold points.

Regardless, your file will still be up for review by the superintendant whether or not any infractions hold points.
That is all.
Posted via RS Mobile

FN-2199 01-06-2010 01:01 PM

Sorry I didn't clarify!
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 01-06-2010 02:53 PM

To get technical...the CHARGE OF failure to display an N does not hold points. The illegal action COULD get you a VT with points, or a VT without points.

ilvtofu 01-07-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6757083)
Ask her for her phone number? She's obviously got more guts than you do :)

Why don't you carry a spare N in the glove box... even a print-out of the one from the ICBC website works in a pinch. Electrical tape does not...

I do have several kept in my car, that's why I didn't bother confronting her about it. Besides, I can jack it back from her any other day since we go to the same school...

sebberry 01-07-2010 07:39 PM

Is "N" theft a punishable crime or are the revenues from "failure to display N" tickets just too great?

xpl0sive 01-08-2010 09:46 AM

interesting question. technically the N sign remains property of ICBC, just like your driver's license. So one person taking it off the back of someones car and putting it on their own is not stealing from the person, they are simply transferring an item that belongs to ICBC from one car to another...