REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Sharks Club like venues (https://www.revscene.net/forums/601760-sharks-club-like-venues.html)

tiger_handheld 01-05-2010 10:36 PM

Sharks Club like venues

so we are thinking about sharks club. we have gone from Red Door --> Italian Kitchen --> sharks club|

but we dont like sharks club. what are some other restaurants with teh same feel.

we have thought of sammy j , cactus and Wings (our sponsor- ehh)

bcrdukes 01-05-2010 10:58 PM

Lamplighter in Gastown. They have the TVs like Shark Club, the food much like Shark Club, and a dance floor, much like Shark Club. And yes, can accomodate 20+ people, food is alright for what you pay for, and they have a bar to get you guys drunk out of your minds.

bd0n 01-06-2010 02:48 AM

Red Card sports bar, easily vancouvers nicest and with a menu that isnt wings or nachos filled.

hamsup 01-06-2010 10:35 AM

Ebisu ! lol... on a big sporting event.. it really is pretty good.

There is a new sharks club in richmond now..

gnat. 01-06-2010 11:14 AM

^ i heard it closed down because of their liquor license or something?
have they reopened?

tiger_handheld 01-06-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsup (Post 6757509)
Ebisu ! lol... on a big sporting event.. it really is pretty good.

Ebisu - thats the joint that one of the RS users own right?

gnat. 01-07-2010 01:06 AM

^ RS MEET?!?

Inaii 01-07-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6757108)
Lamplighter in Gastown. They have the TVs like Shark Club, the food much like Shark Club, and a dance floor, much like Shark Club. And yes, can accomodate 20+ people, food is alright for what you pay for, and they have a bar to get you guys drunk out of your minds.

I disagree with lamplighter. I worked with someone who 'tended there and he had nothing but bad things to say about it. I also didn't really like the food or service when I went their for a co-workers bday (mind you I went a couple years ago, it might have improved).

Obsideon 01-07-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnat. (Post 6757565)
have they reopened?

Are you referring to Ebisu?
What kind of SICK rumour is that?! :confused:
I assure you it had nothing to do with any thing licensing related, it was purely our choice to close for those 3 days (the 3 slowest days of the week rather than closing over the weekend) :)

We closed for 3 days to do cosmetic renovations:
- sanding down the hardwood floor and re-varnished
- re-designed the front lounge area to make it more spacious
- new sexy booths
- re-painted & touched up all the scratches on the walls from the years of partying
- a few other minor maintenance updates

Just a refresher overall and we waited til after the New Years to do the renos since the floor was going to be trashed during the busy Holidays anyway!

Oh and yes we are now open for business as of Wednesday, January 6th.
Come check out the new modications! ;) (Note: There might still be a faint scent of wet paint around the washrooms as they were more difficult to aerate haha)

bcrdukes 01-07-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6758743)
I disagree with lamplighter. I worked with someone who 'tended there and he had nothing but bad things to say about it. I also didn't really like the food or service when I went their for a co-workers bday (mind you I went a couple years ago, it might have improved).

No, I'll agree to what you said. A few years back, this place was a dump but since that new group bought it over, they've polished it up. Whenever I work at our Gastown location, I go to Lamplighter once or twice a week for lunch. The service has improved tremendously and it isn't a barfeteria like the Blarney Stone.

Meowjin 01-07-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6758743)

I wonder if we know the same girl. Asian? Manager?

Crowtservo 01-07-2010 04:09 PM

I went to Lamplighter a few times last summer and really enjoyed it. The food was surprisingly good (it wasn't great but i expected bad) and reasonably priced. They often have good live music too. A great place to hang out if you're in gastown.

tiger_handheld 01-07-2010 05:33 PM

lol so lamplighter or steamworks ..

the menu at steamworks seems good , but the atmosphere at lamplighter is what we are looking for. such a tough decision.

Supafly 01-07-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsup (Post 6757509)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnat. (Post 6757565)
have they reopened?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 6759044)
Are you referring to Ebisu?
What kind of SICK rumour is that?! :confused:
I assure you it had nothing to do with any thing licensing related, it was purely our choice to close for those 3 days (the 3 slowest days of the week rather than closing over the weekend) :)

We closed for 3 days to do cosmetic renovations:
- sanding down the hardwood floor and re-varnished
- re-designed the front lounge area to make it more spacious
- new sexy booths
- re-painted & touched up all the scratches on the walls from the years of partying
- a few other minor maintenance updates

Just a refresher overall and we waited til after the New Years to do the renos since the floor was going to be trashed during the busy Holidays anyway!

Oh and yes we are now open for business as of Wednesday, January 6th.
Come check out the new modications! ;) (Note: There might still be a faint scent of wet paint around the washrooms as they were more difficult to aerate haha)

Don't be to quick to jump the gun there big guy...you mis-read the posts.
To clarify, SHARK CLUB DID CLOSE DOWN ....their lights are still out...i dont know when they will re-open. I was just at Chop, and i noticed sharkclubs sign is not lit.

bcrdukes 01-07-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 6759665)
lol so lamplighter or steamworks ..

the menu at steamworks seems good , but the atmosphere at lamplighter is what we are looking for. such a tough decision.

Like I said in your other thread, the food at Steamworks is not that great and if you show up with 20+ people, there is a good chance they'll enforce a 15% gratuity and a set menu. Lamplighter is A LOT more casual and the food is better.

Inaii 01-07-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6759514)
I wonder if we know the same girl. Asian? Manager?

Asian yes, manager no. When I was working with her she worked coat check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6759229)
No, I'll agree to what you said. A few years back, this place was a dump but since that new group bought it over, they've polished it up. Whenever I work at our Gastown location, I go to Lamplighter once or twice a week for lunch. The service has improved tremendously and it isn't a barfeteria like the Blarney Stone.

It's not owned by the Donnelly group anymore?

bcrdukes 01-07-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6759797)
It's not owned by the Donnelly group anymore?

It is, but I'm not sure which group you're referring to and what you mean by "a couple of years ago." My experiences were rather recent.

beanzzz 01-09-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly (Post 6759712)
Don't be to quick to jump the gun there big guy...you mis-read the posts.
To clarify, SHARK CLUB DID CLOSE DOWN ....their lights are still out...i dont know when they will re-open. I was just at Chop, and i noticed sharkclubs sign is not lit.

They opened but were forced to close because they didn't pass some inspections.

Inaii 01-09-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6759815)
It is, but I'm not sure which group you're referring to and what you mean by "a couple of years ago." My experiences were rather recent.

You mentioned a new group bought it. The last I'd heard they were owned by the Donnelly group so I thought someone new bought them. I was there end of 2007 when we had that big snow storm.

tiger_handheld 01-09-2010 12:20 PM

its still a DHM Venue.