REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

No Carry-On Items on Flights to the USA

New Rules:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091230.html

http://www.westjet.com/#
Advertisement
Sky_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Well, it's good to see that AC is offering people one free luggage because of this. I was expecting some kind of outrage over having to check stuff in because it would cost extra $$$.

One positive thing that will come out of this is that loading passengers will be a lot faster...you won't have all those people standing in the aisle trying to stuff their roll-aboard suitcases into overhead baggage because they didn't want to pay to check it in.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
^
I was at YVR on the first day they implemented this rule. Although I showed up after the computer system fiasco, going through security was literally a breeze. To top it off, I was flying on a codeshare on United where they only allow 1 piece of luggage free, they were kind enough to allow 2 free pieces of luggage and I got bumped to First Class.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #4

I thought UA policy is zero free bags? My last trip to DEN cost me $15 per bag if I remember correctly. Must be the elite status you have with the airlines.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
RS Veteran

I took UA last March and it cost me to check in one piece of luggage. UA was just a shitty experience overall. I used to book travel and thought people were being picky about not wanting to fly with them... now I know why.
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I thought UA policy is zero free bags? My last trip to DEN cost me $15 per bag if I remember correctly. Must be the elite status you have with the airlines.
Hmm...to think about it, I'm not sure. I know what you folks are talking about. UA had a pretty crummy policy of no free baggage which really hurt them. You can check in your bag online for $15 otherwise it's like $25 o $30, something of the like.

Both my girlfriend and I got 2 free bags.

I didn't qualify for Elite status this year.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

when they mean laptop only, they mean laptop ONLY. I'm currently in the US now since before this bs, but my bosses just flew in over. They couldnt even bring the laptop sleeve with them let alone the bag. they had to check it and carry the laptops naked around.

On a side note, my gf's parents went back to europe and their flight left San Fran. In the waiting area, TSA forbid them from going to the bathroom 1 hour prior to boarding because they didnt want anyone to go make a bomb in the bathroom to bring onboard. This is fuking rediculous. If that happens and I need to pee, im goin to whip it out and piss on the floor in boarding and see wtf they say.

Last edited by J____; 01-08-2010 at 09:16 PM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
when they mean laptop only, they mean laptop ONLY. I'm currently in the US now since before this bs, but my bosses just flew in over. They couldnt even bring the laptop sleeve with them let alone the bag. they had to check it and carry the laptops naked around.

On a side note, my gf's parents went back to europe and their flight left San Fran. In the waiting area, TSA forbid them from going to the bathroom 1 hour prior to boarding because they didnt want anyone to go make a bomb in the bathroom to bring onboard. This is fuking rediculous. If that happens and I need to pee, im goin to whipe it out and piss on the floor in boarding and see wtf they say.
That's a good question. I figured they would let you put it in some kind of carrying case since it seems absurd to carry just a laptop around. I guess they're not allowing bags or could be just some retarded TSA agent or security person that misinterpreted the rules. To think of a different scenario - a mother carrying stuff for baby - do they expect the mother to carry the formula, diapers, and other essentials in their hands without a carrying bag? Seems kind of ridiculous. They have the x-ray machines - they should use that.

I smell a lawsuit coming if they don't let people pee/poop in the hour before boarding...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #9

Thanked 6,552 Times in 1,155 Posts
looks like I'd have to ship my camera to my destinations =P
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
looks like I'd have to ship my camera to my destinations =P
I believe camera equipment is one of the items you can bring on board.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
RS Veteran

^
Yes, but camera only without bag(s).

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Seriously... what's the logic behind not allowing carry-on luggage? All they're saying is that they have no faith in the screening methods they currently have when they send 'em through the x-ray machine.

And here's the other thing... Sure, you can bring a laptop onto a flight by itself, but what's to stop a smart terrorist from designing a bomb or piece mealing a weapon together from parts that show up in an x-ray that appear exactly like a hard drive or stick of ram?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Sounds like the terrorists are winning this battle with the States ... next thing you know you'll need to go through an interview just to buy a plane ticket and have to qualify to even fly ...
Old 01-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Tech Team Mod

The PDF document shows that you CAN bring a laptop in a regular laptop bag.

So, are you able to carry a SLR camera in a small bag?

Anything wrong with packing in your checked bag?
Rated B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #15

CATSA site also says laptops CAN be left in a laptop bag. Based on this, I would think that camera equipment would fall into the same category but since it doesn't explicitly state this, I'm not 100% sure.

I'd probably check camera gear (as long as I've got a fairly large suitcase with lots of padding) but I know some folks have some pretty expensive gear and could understand being hesitant to check it in as it can get damaged or stolen in transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Sounds like the terrorists are winning this battle with the States ... next thing you know you'll need to go through an interview just to buy a plane ticket and have to qualify to even fly ...
You'd think they'd be screening people at the time they purchase their ticket. People on the no fly list (or suspected of being a possible terrorist like the guy on the NorthWest flight) should be pre-screened and flagged long before they even set foot in the airport.

I think it's time the US took some lessons from the Israelis. They've been dealing with terrorists from day one and I believe haven't had any plane hijackings or attacks occur on Israeli soil yet.

Last edited by syee; 01-10-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
RS Veteran

It's really hard to say at this point regardless of the document. I did look over the document the day they imposed these new travel rules and even then at the gate, the refused me to bring my laptop with bag. I was stuck with the option of only checking it in.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #17

^^^ yes it comes down to how the TSA agent interprets the rules. Especially with new ones like this, chances are most will miss understand and enforce something stupid like not allowing you a laptop bag. Only time and complaints will change this.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

carry-on allowed again!!!
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/re...h007e-5812.htm
Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #19
Banned (BBM)

nice
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Good news. I was forced to check in my Laptop bag when I traveled to the US last week too. Totally weird carrying it around by itself.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
RS Veteran

^
Yeah, it was pretty homo the day they imposed the rule for no carry-on. Felt weird without my laptop.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Just came back from Vegas and the new restrictions to basically only allow purse to a certain size, laptops etc rule sure made getting off the place 10 times quicker lol

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Anybody know if I can bring an empty water bottle, greater than 100ml, through security? Thanks.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm flying to US but from Seattle.. Does the same rule apply ? (Using Jetblue)
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
I'm flying to US but from Seattle.. Does the same rule apply ? (Using Jetblue)
Are you talking about "no carry on items"?

Sorry, that was a rule imposed back in January, only for a few days. I'm not sure what rules are in place for travel within the US...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote