REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #51
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
Hmm not safe for newbies, why? DO you mean newbies to treadmills or newbies to running?
treadmills. falling off sucks.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post
I think it's easier to start indoors at first. You can control your pace and know how far you've walked/jogged/ran. Also in this weather most people get discouraged and put off doing outdoor activities, there's no excuse if you're indoors. The best thing to do is split it up.
Yeah, that's a fair point. In my case, I sweat a lot and I find that gyms are kept way too warm for any type of long cardio activity. In terms of keeping track of pace, etc., there are watches you can use to control your intervals and so on. I invested in a Garmin Forerunner (which is great for any type of training), but a simple Timex will do too.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Yeah, that's a fair point. In my case, I sweat a lot and I find that gyms are kept way too warm for any type of long cardio activity. In terms of keeping track of pace, etc., there are watches you can use to control your intervals and so on. I invested in a Garmin Forerunner (which is great for any type of training), but a simple Timex will do too.
You can even invest less than that. I currently use the Nike+ system for what i need....works like a charm.

If you have an iphone or ipod touch....all u need to do is spend $25 for a foot sensor.
If u have a nano, then its 40 bucks...or go on craigslist and find something.
If neither....then the Nike sportband for 80.....but i would actually invest in the timex or garmin. For the price point of the other two items, its a great price for what it does. But the sportband is too basic and its not gonna be much more for something that does a lot more like the Forerunner.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #54
VLS Head Mod

in regards to the not losing weight, are you taking measurements cause you could be losing inches but gaining muscle???
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #55
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
You can even invest less than that. I currently use the Nike+ system for what i need....works like a charm.

If you have an iphone or ipod touch....all u need to do is spend $25 for a foot sensor.
If u have a nano, then its 40 bucks...or go on craigslist and find something.
If neither....then the Nike sportband for 80.....but i would actually invest in the timex or garmin. For the price point of the other two items, its a great price for what it does. But the sportband is too basic and its not gonna be much more for something that does a lot more like the Forerunner.
The nike+ shoes plus the watch work great. I think the iphone app also works with the shoe sensor.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #56
Need to Seek Professional Help

So- today I went to run + bike.

It's pretty pathetic but here's what I did:
Light Jogging for around 600-700M w/o a break- I did this once. Figured that during my last try, doing this 2-3 times will kill me, I decided to go biking instead. Did 2 km with one break in between.

How do I feel? Tired and sweating. But not shitty like last time.

Comments?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchiecchi View Post
So- today I went to run + bike.

It's pretty pathetic but here's what I did:
Light Jogging for around 600-700M w/o a break- I did this once. Figured that during my last try, doing this 2-3 times will kill me, I decided to go biking instead. Did 2 km with one break in between.

How do I feel? Tired and sweating. But not shitty like last time.

Comments?
i think you're better off to do easier, more frequent cardio then say one or two days/week of intense workouts. being new to cardio, frequently pushing yourself to the limits won't last very long. more than likely, you'll either quit or hurt yourself. once it becomes part of your routine and you actually enjoy doing it, then you can start to turn up the volume.

if your diet remains the same (or better yet, if it improves) and you do regular bouts of cardio for a few months whereas you were doing nothing before, it's virtually guaranteed you will lose weight and increase your cardiovascular ability.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #58

Im just starting to do swimming on a regular basis.

Gotta love how your body feels like jello after how many laps....
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

Just my luck!

Went to minuro track yesterday to try some HIIT. track is closed from yesterday to march 15 cause of olympics lol. Managed to do 4 sets of 30s sprinting and 60s walk.

How many sets should one do? Or is it more based on pushing the limit each time until your body says "enough" each time?
Posted via RS Mobile
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #60

Are you shitting me??

Closed for 3 months?? What a joke.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #61

If you have access to instructor led fitness classes, those are really good. They have different levels and it takes the planning out from your end.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
If you have access to instructor led fitness classes, those are really good. They have different levels and it takes the planning out from your end.
+1

And a lot of hot girls there too. I thought i was at a 'core and stability' class.

Didn't know it was an aerobics class focussing on core and stability.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #63

Quote:
+1

And a lot of hot girls there too. I thought i was at a 'core and stability' class.

i made a mistake like that once. i signed up for what i thought was a bootcamp style class and it ended up being 80% stepping. having little to no dance-type coordination and not wanting to be rude and walk out, i stumbled my way through the full 45 minutes. never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro32 View Post
How many sets should one do? Or is it more based on pushing the limit each time until your body says "enough" each time?
dependent on how hard you're going. it's really a lot of trial and error when you're starting out and learning what you are capable of. generally though, longer is better.

Quote:
Im just starting to do swimming on a regular basis.

Gotta love how your body feels like jello after how many laps....
i've been trying to swim more often too. maybe it's the chlorine, but i always feel fresh and invigorated when i leave the pool.

Quote:

Last edited by SizzleChest; 01-20-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #64

Quote:
+1

A little off-topic: If you want a core/stability workout and with 'eye candy', take a yoga class. Vancouver is full of attractive women and you won't find a greater concentration of them than in a yoga class.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #65
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
A little off-topic: If you want a core/stability workout and with 'eye candy', take a yoga class. Vancouver is full of attractive women and you won't find a greater concentration of them than in a yoga class.
If you are going to MEET women however, it's not great as there's no time to really talk to them

For the fitness I'd say Bikram's yoga is great and burns fat off very quickly
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
If you are going to MEET women however, it's not great as there's no time to really talk to them

For the fitness I'd say Bikram's yoga is great and burns fat off very quickly
Yeah, it's pretty hard to actually strike a conversation before/after a yoga class. But, hey, when you're in "down dog" or are on all fours, the view ahead is usually a great way to brighten up a rainy Vancouver day.

Re Bikram: The thought of being in a hot room for 90 minutes, sweating to the point of exhaustion, and repeating the same poses class-in/class-out doesn't seem appealing to me. However, I should try it at some point to at least validate my prejudices.

Last edited by Tapioca; 01-22-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #67

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty hard to actually strike a conversation before/after a yoga class. But, hey, when you're in "down dog" or are on all fours, the view ahead is usually a great way to brighten up a rainy Vancouver day.

Re Bikram: The thought of being in a hot room for 90 minutes, sweating to the point of exhaustion, and repeating the same poses class-in/class-out doesn't seem appealing to me. However, I should try it at some point to at least validate my prejudices.

Yep...the downward facing down with a downward facing tree.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #68

Tips for starting running:

1. Increase your stamina by starting with other cardio exercise, such as a spin bike or elliptical machine

2. Go for walks, at least 20 minutes, swing your arms and walk at a brisk pace so you get your heart rate up. This will start to increase your stamina. Go for longer if possible, maybe throw in some hills.

3. Once you feel determined enough, start going for runs. I like outside the best, and not in the gym. Start SLOW! If you need to, stop running for a minute and speed walk to catch your breath. The important thing to remember is within the first 5-10 minutes, you will feel like stopping, you must push yourself past that!!! That is what is known as the wall, which depending on the length of your run you will encounter a few times. Run past that, and keep going PUSH PUSH PUSH!

4. Try to start at 15 minute slow runs, then start to increase length and eventually speed. Shoot for 30 minutes eventually, which is a great running length.

5. For those trying to lose fat, always remember that intervals are key. Run for 5 minutes, walk for 2 to slow down your heart rate, than run again to increase your heart rate. This is not a good way to increase endurance though!

6. I was told this by my gym teacher, and never really did it until I graduated. Keep your legs up when bringing them back. I used to kind of drag my feet and be really sloppy since I wasnt determined. But keep a spring in your step, and bring your legs back.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #69

I just did 1km this morning in the pool for the very first time....feels great.

But the guy in the lane beside me is an Ironman Triathlete. Made my swim look like childs play. Sure, i always leave differences at the door....but damn, gotta admire his ability....plus hes amazingly ripped and fit too.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #70

A friend and I go for a good run every Tuesday late afternoon/early evening.

Anyone interested in joining?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #71
Need to Seek Professional Help

I think the biggest issue with this is discipline to do it everyday... ugh. =[
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchiecchi View Post
I think the biggest issue with this is discipline to do it everyday... ugh. =[
+1 ...but not necessarily everyday, but something regular or consistent.

As if there isn't enough cliches to agree with what you said.

I've conquered this issue by taking my cardio to the outside and decided that my training should be more like sightseeing....so thats what i did tonight as well.