REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

also, i was watching tv and you should run flat footed, not heal toe, the heal toe motion is harder on your joints.

can someone confirm this?

i couldn't run before too, but then just try.

try the bikes and ellipticals first. everyone starts somewhere.
Advertisement
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
also, i was watching tv and you should run flat footed, not heal toe, the heal toe motion is harder on your joints.

can someone confirm this?

i couldn't run before too, but then just try.

try the bikes and ellipticals first. everyone starts somewhere.

Heel toe as in Heel makes contact with the ground first then the toe? And Flat footed as in Heel toe makes the contact at the same time?

If that's what you mean, then I highly doubt flat footed is the way to go. I can't imagine myself running like that
MaximalLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
Heel toe as in Heel makes contact with the ground first then the toe? And Flat footed as in Heel toe makes the contact at the same time?

If that's what you mean, then I highly doubt flat footed is the way to go. I can't imagine myself running like that

This is why they make running shoes to comfort both styles of running.

Theres also another type of movement in running known as pronation/supination.....of course depending on which movement you run with, theres a suitable shoe for that too.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
:d

Wifey Says:
For me, I stop time to time especially during winter (since I get fevers from the cold ). I start in the beginning of spring, I start the season off by doing simple workouts such as running and biking. Once I get my stamina back up like usual I go up another level by doing something more challenging such as martial arts or cardio boxing. And every end of the month me and xNguyen (my hubbies account) would go up grouse grind through the hiking trail and it'll take me foreverrrr but you'll see dramatic results next day (It happens you just gotta try!)

Here is my example

Frist Month:
Mon-Fri: Speed Walking, Jogging, Running, Biking [ 2-3 Hours ]
(at your own pace)
Sun-Sat: Break
End of the month:
Grouse grind, Next morning measurements.

Second Month:
Mon-Fri: Warm ups, Cardio Boxing, Muay Thai, or the gym [ 2-3 Hours ]
(or other martial arts; either way it's still good for you)
Sun-Sat: Break
End of the month:
Grouse grind, Next morning measurments.

Next Months:
Etc. etc.

Key is taking it step by step!
xnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #30
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
dont do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPiFs80017I

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
IMHO, I would stay away from treadmills and continue running outside. The air is fresher and if you run in trails, things are more interesting to look at.
I think it's easier to start indoors at first. You can control your pace and know how far you've walked/jogged/ran. Also in this weather most people get discouraged and put off doing outdoor activities, there's no excuse if you're indoors. The best thing to do is split it up.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #32

Its arguable whats 'better' to start.....but treadmills (good ones you find at the gym as opposed to home ones) are designed to provide less impact on the joints.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #33
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post
I think it's easier to start indoors at first. You can control your pace and know how far you've walked/jogged/ran. Also in this weather most people get discouraged and put off doing outdoor activities, there's no excuse if you're indoors. The best thing to do is split it up.
+1, i primary use the trendmill when the weather is shitty so that I have no excuse NOT to run.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleChest View Post
if i remember correctly, 2 half inhalations through the nose and one full exhalation from the mouth. repeat as necessary

This is the exact way they taught them in military in taiwan.
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD604 View Post
i wonder if that's set up? looks like they have a pad against the wall and after he falls off, he hops back on and does some neat little spin on his ass. still funny the first time though.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #36
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
So... I've been working out a while without thinking much about how running, specifically on a treadmill, would affect my body. I just went with the assumption that the harder you ran, the faster you ran, and the longer you ran, the better the end result.

Now, mind you, I'm not unfit or uncultured in the mechanics of working out... I'm a pretty athletic build at 5'9 at 165-170lbs... and I've worked my way up on a treadmill to a point where I'm running for 20-25 min at a constant 6 (sometimes 6.5 mph?) every time I work out (which is 4-5 times a week).

The thing I dont understand is that I'm actually GAINING weight as opposed to what I expected to LOSE from running. It's not exactly having aversive effects since I feel great, and I THINK I'm still losing body fat (which was the ultimate goal of losing weight, since I want to be more toned) but I don't think It'd be healthy for me to really go above 170 at my height.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Last edited by ShanghaiKid; 01-15-2010 at 06:06 PM.
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
So... I've been working out a while without thinking much about how running, specifically on a treadmill, would affect my body. I just went with the assumption that the harder you ran, the faster you ran, and the longer you ran, the better the end result.

Now, mind you, I'm not unfit or uncultured in the mechanics of working out... I'm a pretty athletic build at 5'9 at 165-170lbs... and I've worked my way up on a treadmill to a point where I'm running for 20-25 min at a constant 6 (sometimes 6.5 mph?) every time I work out (which is 4-5 times a week).

The thing I dont understand is that I'm actually GAINING weight as opposed to what I expected to LOSE from running. It's not exactly having aversive effects since I feel great, and I THINK I'm still losing body fat (which was the ultimate goal of losing weight, since I want to be more toned) but I don't think It'd be healthy for me to really go above 170 at my height.

Anyone have any insight into this?

I'm 175lbs and 6ft, I feel so skinny now lol. How's your diet? Do you watch your calories? Running alone will not make you lose weight or tone up, your diet has to be clean and keep it balanced by eating healthy.. There's tons of articles on this vary subject on google and 9 out 10 of them point to a bad diet.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #38

^i try to stay wary of what I eat. Lots of lean meats, fruits, veggies and protein supplement if I feel like I need it, which isn't all too often.

I don't think I indulge myself too much in eating whats unhealthy, and I definetly try to watch what I eat. And I don't believe I'm taking in more calories than I need either, atleast not so much that I can't burn off.

I'm 21 btw, just for a reference point as to my stage in life.

edit: though I'll try to be even stricter on myself in terms of what I eat.. whether it affects my weight or not, its a win-win scenario anyway. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #39

Remember that cardio doesn't necessarily mean you're losing weight; its building up the stamina and endurance of your cardiac and inhalation system. You can still gain weight fat and/or muscle and still increase the level of your cardio. Football players do it all the time in their training.

So if you are looking for that effect to supplement your weight loss with cardio....you really gotta be watching what you eat.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #40

I want to achieve the cut body type, are there certain things that I should do and shouldn't do? eg cardio for more than X minutes after weight lifting, lifting more than X% of my max etc
Old 01-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #41

Quote:
I want to achieve the cut body type, are there certain things that I should do and shouldn't do? eg cardio for more than X minutes after weight lifting, lifting more than X% of my max etc

I think there is gonna be a popular answer to that....you see the answer on this part of the forum all the time.

HIIT.

X amount of minutes whether its 20 minutes or 90 minutes of cardio isn't gonna make you 'cut.'

HIIT....get your heart rate to what its capable of as long as you can....rest....do it again. Of course, HIIT is best when you build a bit of tolerance to your cardio......
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #42

just one more question i suppose...

given whats been said, and that hypothetically I watch my diet very well... what type of running is actually better for weight loss? cardio (fast, hard) or that weight loss option on treadmills (mild speed) for the same periods of time?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
just one more question i suppose...

given whats been said, and that hypothetically I watch my diet very well... what type of running is actually better for weight loss? cardio (fast, hard) or that weight loss option on treadmills (mild speed) for the same periods of time?
If you are using the same brand treadmills that are in my gym (Cybex, which are pretty common) the weight loss option at its most difficult level is intermediate at most. You might as well go use the 'manual' option and challenge yourself.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #44

Taken from a running website;

Quote:
For example consider a person who needs to lose 50 pounds and starts running
three miles per day at a pace of five miles per hour. This person may quickly
lose ten pounds with this type of exercise regimen but may find after a few
weeks the weight loss slows down and they may even reach a point where the
weight loss plateaus. One way to avoid this problem is to vary the distance,
length or intensity of the running. This may be accomplished by increasing the
running from three miles to four miles, running for a longer amount of time each
day or running at a faster pace. Making one of these changes, or ideally
incorporating all three changes into the routine, can help to keep the muscles
challenged. As a result the body will not become more efficient and begin
burning fewer calories to complete the daily running.

In addition to continually challenging themselves, those who wish to lose weight
by running should also consider making changes to their diet in addition to
running regularly. This is important because a weight loss regimen which
incorporates both dietary changes as well as increased activity levels is much
more likely to be successful than attempting to lose weight by only cutting
calories or only exercising more. A runner should consider consuming a diet
which is approximately 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 30% fat. In addition
to following this combination, the runner should also ensure the carbohydrates
are coming primarily from whole grains, the proteins are consumed from lean
protein sources and the fats include mostly unsaturated fats. This type of diet
might seem harmful to the waistline to those who have come to believe low
carbohydrate diets are the most effective for weight loss. However, runners do
not do well with these types of diets because running is such an intensive
activity which requires a great deal of energy. If the individual does not feed
the body a carbohydrate rich diet, sticking to a running program can be very
difficult because the person will lack the energy necessary to run on a regular
basis.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #45

Regarding to HIIT, how should I do that on the treadmill?

For example, I am sprinting at 10-13mph(assumption, dont know the MPH to sprint), and I am at my 30th second and want to stop. Wouldn't it be super difficult to press the down arrow until walking speed? And if I press STOP, I think it'll resume at whatever speed before it's turned off.

What should be the best way to do HIIT on a treadmill? Or is running outside the best option?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #46

Most treadmills have HIIT programs. If you want to do HIIT manually, start off at a comfortable pace and start to increase the speed every 2 mins until you're doing a sprint or at a speed that you know is your max and slowly decrease back to a comfortable pace. And HIIT is best on the treadmill because it's controlled.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #47

Going to try some HIIT tomorrow
Old 01-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Regarding to HIIT, how should I do that on the treadmill?

For example, I am sprinting at 10-13mph(assumption, dont know the MPH to sprint), and I am at my 30th second and want to stop. Wouldn't it be super difficult to press the down arrow until walking speed? And if I press STOP, I think it'll resume at whatever speed before it's turned off.

What should be the best way to do HIIT on a treadmill? Or is running outside the best option?
using your arms, you can lift yourself off the belt using the guard rails to put your feet on the pads outside of the belt and then adjust your speed HOWEVER, i wouldn't recommend any sort of sprinting on the treadmill, especially to newbies. not safe. HIIT - better to be done outside.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust

Last edited by SizzleChest; 01-17-2010 at 07:54 AM.
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #49
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Yea I think HIIT is better to be done outside and like others said just work your way up. I found that doing HIIT on the stairmaster is really efficient as well and much easier to control the intensity than the treadmill if you're doing it manually.
Abstraktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #50

Hmm not safe for newbies, why? DO you mean newbies to treadmills or newbies to running?