REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Honda CRV or SUVs of the Like

Hey folks,

My sister is looking for a small/mid-sized SUV as a daily driver. We were thinking of something along the lines of a Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV4. Just wondering what other alternatives are there within the same size and price range? We thought about the Nissan Pathfinder but they seem to have a funny resale price.

Some variables to play with:

1. Must be Japanese
2. Used prefered.
3. Does not have to be AWD/4WD
4. Budget of around $10K
5. Reliable and not known to have major issues (i.e. motor/transmission/suspension)

She plans on keeping the vehicle for at least 3 to 5 years so resale is something to consider as well. I'm thinking that the CRV is the best option for her but of course, we're open to other ideas as well. Thanks!
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

My wife and I were looking at a 04 CRV, honestly there amazing. Only reason I didnt get it was because they didnt want my Cobalt lol

If she justs needs a DD I would go that route plus there less then 10g I think they're floating aorund the 6-8grand mark right now.

The rav's are nice but there more of an off roadish / rough roads for the first gen, 2nd gen's are expensive and it will be hard to find one around 10 grand

I know you said japanese and this is gonna sound really f'd but look into a Kia you can prolly scoop a Sportage for dirt cheap, my Mom just got rid of hers with 350,000 kms the only probelm with it was an AC leak and a bit of clutch slip (which was her fault for not replacing the tranny fluid)

hope that helps

GMK Kustomz
Rotary_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

subaru forester.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

not sure on prices, but can't go wrong with rav4 or crv. there's also the nissan murano, toyota highlander, mazda tribute, honda pilot.

for reliable and resale...probably toyota and honda are your top 2.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
CRV would be a little pricy closer to 15k? for a 2nd gen used no? but it's certainly something you can't go wrong with,

I like the second gen Rav4's sportier looks and the trunk is really good for a car it's size, might not be as refined as the CRV last time I remembered though or as nice of an interior but styling wise is better than the CRV IMO.

The Highlander came in V6 too which is a nice engine IMO and you can pick up an 03 with AWD and V6 for around the same as an 04 CRV. and doesn't have the spare hanging off the back and the weird swinging rear hatch
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
RS Veteran

I did a quick check on the Highlander - it seems to be out of her price range. I think she can live without a V6 - there really is no need for the extra power. We found a few CRVs under and around the $10K range but if need be, my sister doesn't mind settling for an older CRV. Somebody above mentioned the Murano - although I personally like the Murano, it's a little bit out of her price range.

We'll take a look into the RAV4 over the next few days and do a comparison between that and the CRV.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
My mom currently drives a 04 CR-V. It's good in the snow with all season tires. I know this because several years back we went up to Big White resort in the midst of a blizzard. It handled well and never got itself stuck, another family going with us were driving a Nissan XTrail, and boy did they get stuck a lot...

If you are looking at the previous gen CR-V vs. Rav4, here are some things that my parents and I have found out (while shopping for our CR-V way back in '03):
- the CR-V is substantially bigger, and feels better than the Rav4, interior space is put to much better use too
- Rav4 is AWD, CR-V is "realtime 4wd" meaning that it is FWD until it detects slip, then it flips to 4WD
- because of such, CR-V is more economical from a gas consumption perspective
- Rav4 comes with a MP3 deck, CR-V is standard CD
- My dad says (since I didn't have my license at the time) the Rav4 is a pretty slow revver, whereas the CR-V really puts its power down when you want it to
- CR-V's back window is small and obstructed by the center seat, making it a bit harder to see out back
- Rav 4 feels "sportier" because it's smaller, despite the sluggish issue above
- CR-V has a higher ground clearance

Otherwise, DO NOT go for a pathfinder. my coworker owns one and he says that the gas consumption on that thing is on par with many of the full sized SUVs (ie: Suburbans, Escalades etc...)

So yes, I would +1 for a CR-V (myself being a Honda fanboy as well), but I see no problem in a Rav4 as well
Hope it helps!

Last edited by CP.AR; 01-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
id take CRV over RAV4
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
for your $10k price range, it would appear that the CRV is the only choice.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
subaru forester.
not enough ground clearance

CRV would be ur best bet, its hella roomy in the back as well
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
RS Veteran

Captain Picard,

That was a very helpful post! I think we're going to stick with the original idea of going with the CR-V. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
crv babe
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

CRV +1

I bought the 1st gen of CRV after sat in RAV4. The new Rav4 is much bigger now, but back then, CRV has much more room.
ecsw is offline   Reply With Quote