REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Questions About '06 G35 Coupe Purchase

Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing an '06 pre-owned g35 coupe 6mt from a dealership. However, I have a couple q's and would appreciate some insight, especially from G owners:

- I am aware the 06 engines are notorious for burning oil. What precautions should I take to ensure this particular car doesn't have this issue? If the car doesn't come with past service records would I have a problem claiming warranty work at the dealership?

- The dealer had an ICBC claim check done and it showed 1 claim under $2000, but no further details were given. Where would I be able to see the exact particulars of the claim?

- I am wanting to get the car inspected. My main concerns are the clutch and aforementioned engine oil issue. Would an Infiniti dealer be the best place for this?

- Anything else to look for/ be aware of?

TIA
Advertisement
.supreme. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
I've been on the G35 forums almost daily for the last 3 years now and let me tell you.... you're over thinking the oil burning issue, it's not "notorious" as you think, and you can't take any precautions for it, you either have it or don't. Only some of the 06's have that issue, from my knowledge of the forums I estimate around 30% of the 06's have it, the upside of having this is you actually get the engine easily replaced at the dealership.

a lot of the guys on the G forum after 30 or 40 k getting brand new engines after being diagnosed with the problem, the dealerships have been pretty easygoing with this issue surprisingly. There's guys on the forums trying to create oil burning just so the dealership can maybe give them a new engine. I've been on those forums for 3 years now and I remember reading only 1 story of a guy having a problem with his dealership screwing with him.

I actually wish I had an 06 with oil burning, brand new engine ftw.

Aside from that, the only other issue I know about with the 06's+ a small amount of the 6 speeds have clutch issues and that's about it.

just go browse G35driver.com/forums for a few more days it'll help you with your decision, I personally browsed the forum for a few months before I bought a coupe
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

under 2000 is really minor. Cosmetic damage i'm sure, couple stratches costs 600-900 these days.
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
RabidMod

Thanked 1,080 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetched View Post
under 2000 is really minor. Cosmetic damage i'm sure, couple stratches costs 600-900 these days.
+1. damage under $2000 is pretty minor, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

if you believe you have an engine oil burning issue, the dealership may ask for previous service records. They also might do an engine oil comsumpsion tests where there is a flow chart to determin the amout of oil lost every xxxxkm or so. It might require you to make a few return visits.

If you do quaify for an engine, you can ask them to replace the clutch at the same time for you (you pay for part) but you'll also need to replace the dual mass flywheel because it cant be machined (in GVA as far as i know) and the flywheel is around $1600
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^ you're quite correct, the dual mass flywheel can't be machined. just go aftermarket and get a light weight one, there are 26 lb single mass flywheels that are cheaper out there, but you'll notice some clatter.

also the engine burning oil is out of proportion, i used to work in the industry and a lot of engines burn oil now a days, if you burn something like .5-1L every 5k, they don't care.
its when you get to 1L/1k that's when they'll consider giving you a new engine.

as for the clutch problem, i haven't read much about it, but the rev up transmissions are stronger than the 03-04's
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Regarding the inspection, would anyone recommend BCAA over an Infiniti dealer?

Also, my understanding from the G35driver forums is owners are getting the run-around for engine replacements if they don't have past proof of scheduled maintenance; any dealers in particular that are more "lenient" in this respect?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

I used to own a 06 G35 sedan, the engine oil problem is very minor, and damage under $2000 is very minor, nothing to worry about. Which Infiniti dealer are you talking about?
Jingwu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

No specific dealer names. But the TSB issued by Infiniti Canada says something about proof of past maintenance.

I'll prob just go talk to a dealer and see what the details are.