REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #126
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post

The whole devil island concept is very interesting to me, because in my religion we believe, and to us it's fact that the physical manifestation of the devil actually exists on earth somewhere on a hidden island. The being is chained up however and kept secured until the end of times, and then the soul of the devil will inhabit the body and break free from the chains and go on a world wide tour, lol... The island is also protected by a gatekeeper who slays any humans that happen to come across the island. I'm almost sure the creators lifted some aspects of this for the show, too big of a coincidence, too many similarities
would you mind telling me what religion that is? sounds pretty cool

and yeah the show seems to have (on purpose) taken elements from a plethora of religions/beliefs

hence that spirtual temple? (wouldnt call it a church) had items/symbols from most prominent faiths
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #127
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
yeah what scene was that again?
When Jack is about to "die" and is scrambling through the bamboo forest.

In the two hour ABC special before the finale, the writers talk about easter eggs. I guess this was mentioned to promote their DVD series. People like this kind of shit.

Anyway, I'm done with this show. The island will not draw me to it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #128
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I thought it was perfect. They didn't answer every detail about the island and some events but they didn't have to. The show was about the characters and I think they did a great job of bringing their stories to an end.
Crowtservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #129
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 463 Posts
I personally loved the unique and deep ending.

Great show, great run.

=/
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
my rule of thumb when picking between 2 or more girls .. always go with the one with bigger boobs
palepilsenpin0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #130
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
odd how the show never gave the man in black a name..i was hoping they did this on purpose to turn it around as a twist that it's actually a character we know in the main cast.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
odd how the show never gave the man in black a name..i was hoping they did this on purpose to turn it around as a twist that it's actually a character we know in the main cast.
I knew they were never going to give him a name.

That was intentional and extremely significant. In my opinion, it's because it's hard to name someone who is biblically supposed to represent Lucifer.

Jacob, on the other hand, is a biblical character. Jacob (in the Bible) was the father of the Jewish people.

Too lazy to quote anything or give any outside opinions to complement mine. Haha
Quote:
my rule of thumb when picking between 2 or more girls .. always go with the one with bigger boobs
Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #132
My homepage has been set to RS

I liked the ending. Wrapped things up nicely bringing most of the characters together again at the end. They didn't answer every little thing, but with the way this show has gone over the years I don't think anyone was expecting them to.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #133
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Can anyone tell me how exactly they were able to 'move' the island in season 4.. or the reasoning behind it?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #134
HELP ME PLS!!!

have you guys seen the jimmy kimmel alternate endings? LOL at the bob newhart one!

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #135
HELP ME PLS!!!

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #136

the lost spoof commercial for bud light + target were pretty luls as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #137
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

haha yeah i loved the LOST ads. I hope they continue to air those for a bit. The keyboard one was hilarious.
Crowtservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #138
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Purgatory..........no shit. I don't know it kind of pisses me off because it was so predictable yet I wanted to believe something far cooler was going on. It needed to come to an end but I wouldn't say it was a great ending. It was alright, but somewhat predictable.
The island is purgatory. Purgatory is a place to purify your soul - there was no purification in the flash-sideways, all Jack's demons were faced on the island. Once Jack had the idea for the bomb, his role of savior was set and the flash-sideways the start of the path towards salvation.

The ending ruined this show's place in history. Now it will just be tossed aside as another good show, nolonger memorable.

What made LOST interesting was people imagining how the various plots twists are linked together. The characters were great, and their stories great, yet they are not what created the cult-like audience. I hated the recap show and the writers explaining the focus was on the characters, it pretty much foreshadowed the ending was going to ignore all of what happened on the island in favour of wrapping up the character's stories - ie not what the audience was expecting.

Thus the ending took away what made the show great - the audience guessing about the meaning of the crazy happenings on the island. How many of your LOST obsessed friends discuss how the various things on the island are connected, yet ignore the trials and tribulation of the characters? Probably most, if not all. The writers took all this away in the worst way possible by making all the crazy happenings imaginary - ie you can discount everything and just say it was a made up world of purgatory, done and done, no imagination required.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #139
resident Oil Guru

^

What's retarded it in first season, the writers said that the island was not purgatory. And I think they meant it. The alternative universe was the purgatory.. and at the Church they moved onto 'heaven' when Christian opened the door.. (shining light).

So what happened on the island, happened..
Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #140
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
^

What's retarded it in first season, the writers said that the island was not purgatory. And I think they meant it. The alternative universe was the purgatory.. and at the Church they moved onto 'heaven' when Christian opened the door.. (shining light).

So what happened on the island, happened..
I'm with you on this one as well. They all needed each other before they could move on so the flash sideways was created to give them that time and space.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #141
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^

yup, the island was real life, stuff happened, people died on and off the island, during and after the series ended.

only the flash sideway world was purgatory, the characters had been through so much in life that they couldnt move on in the after-life without one another, they had to reconnect, make peace and do it together... live together, die alone.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #142
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
^

yup, the island was real life, stuff happened, people died on and off the island, during and after the series ended.

only the flash sideway world was purgatory, the characters had been through so much in life that they couldnt move on in the after-life without one another, they had to reconnect, make peace and do it together... live together, die alone.
What peace did they make in the flash sideways? Jack, sure, peace with his son and career - yet the others? Sun/Jin are doomed to forever run from he father. Sayid was off to jail with Kate. Desmond ran over Locke and beat the crap out of Ben. Ben probably made the most peace, yet then decides not to go. Claire pumps out a kid. Charlie and Shannon do nothing more than show up. ...

Miles is in the flash-sideways too, yet I don't remember if he was at the church? Why bring him into the flash-sideways at all? That's right - the whole thing is made up to make no sense.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #143

^ sideways was just a dimension for the main cast to reconnect
it doesn't mean that everyone needs to move on to their afterlife together

the crazy japanese guy was also in the sideways (at the piano recital)

LIVE TOGETHER, DIE ALONE..dun dun dun
Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #144
resident Oil Guru

Writers are stupid "The Island isn't about purgatory"... they weaseled their way out of it by creating an alternate Universe that happened to be purgatory..

Oh well..

Personally I would have liked to see an ending that lead up to the beginning of the Alternate Reality, showing that whatever sacrifices island Jack made, allowed them to bypass the island reality all together. Or something along those lines..
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #145

The writers have revealed the name of The Man In Black/Smokey...

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...ulture+Blog%29

Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #146
resident Oil Guru

Who cares? (not to your post... to the writers...) Not like it really matters anymore.. what was the point of the secrecy? What are they gonna do next? Tell us Jacob's last name?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #147

sorry, not to make peace but just to remember and sort things out. the actions and events in the flash sideways were irrelevant, they were interesting and conveniently lined up with scenes on the island at times.

sure not everyone crossed over at the end but they would have eventually when the time was right. maybe ben put in some work in to make others remember too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
What peace did they make in the flash sideways? Jack, sure, peace with his son and career - yet the others? Sun/Jin are doomed to forever run from he father. Sayid was off to jail with Kate. Desmond ran over Locke and beat the crap out of Ben. Ben probably made the most peace, yet then decides not to go. Claire pumps out a kid. Charlie and Shannon do nothing more than show up. ...

Miles is in the flash-sideways too, yet I don't remember if he was at the church? Why bring him into the flash-sideways at all? That's right - the whole thing is made up to make no sense.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #148

Quote:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #149
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The island is purgatory. Purgatory is a place to purify your soul - there was no purification in the flash-sideways, all Jack's demons were faced on the island. Once Jack had the idea for the bomb, his role of savior was set and the flash-sideways the start of the path towards salvation.

The ending ruined this show's place in history. Now it will just be tossed aside as another good show, nolonger memorable.

What made LOST interesting was people imagining how the various plots twists are linked together. The characters were great, and their stories great, yet they are not what created the cult-like audience. I hated the recap show and the writers explaining the focus was on the characters, it pretty much foreshadowed the ending was going to ignore all of what happened on the island in favour of wrapping up the character's stories - ie not what the audience was expecting.

Thus the ending took away what made the show great - the audience guessing about the meaning of the crazy happenings on the island. How many of your LOST obsessed friends discuss how the various things on the island are connected, yet ignore the trials and tribulation of the characters? Probably most, if not all. The writers took all this away in the worst way possible by making all the crazy happenings imaginary - ie you can discount everything and just say it was a made up world of purgatory, done and done, no imagination required.

What happened on the ISLAND is NOT imaginary whatsoever. Some of the characters died on the island (Jack for example) and some died years later off the island (Kate/Sawyer).

That is exactly what Jack's father told him inside the church, "Everyone dies at some point, some of you died on the island and some of you died somewhere else at later times. But you all created this world so you can all find each-other, so you can remember.". Those aren't the exact lines of Jack's dad's but they're pretty close.

Here's another point. Hurley told Ben he made a great #2 and Ben told Hurley he made a great #1 proving that both Hurley and Ben lived on the island for quite some time as the new Jacob & Richard even after Jack died.

Flash sideways like many have said is just a place for them to reconnect with the most important people in their lives.

However I would still like to know where the heck that polar bear came from.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #150
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
What happened on the ISLAND is NOT imaginary whatsoever. Some of the characters died on the island (Jack for example) and some died years later off the island (Kate/Sawyer).
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, even if you're wrong.

Quote:
That is exactly what Jack's father told him inside the church, "Everyone dies at some point, some of you died on the island and some of you died somewhere else at later times. But you all created this world so you can all find each-other, so you can remember.". Those aren't the exact lines of Jack's dad's but they're pretty close.
You could also take this to mean the island was the world that was created, and some people died when the plane crashed, and others like Ben, Juliet, Richard, and Miles died elsewhere cause they weren't on the plane.

Don't you love how the show is open to interpretation? and with the cheeseball ending I can basically say everything was made up, and nothing has to make sense.

Quote:
Here's another point. Hurley told Ben he made a great #2 and Ben told Hurley he made a great #1 proving that both Hurley and Ben lived on the island for quite some time as the new Jacob & Richard even after Jack died.
Remember, it is all made up in Jack's mind, the island and everyone else never existed.

Quote:
Flash sideways like many have said is just a place for them to reconnect with the most important people in their lives.
Everyone else gets it, while Jack does not even after being told by Kate. To me that says everyone else is there to help Jack, and the island, flash sideways, ... was all created in Jack's mind to help Jack transition.

PS: Don't bother with "you're wrong and this is why" cause the cheeseball ending left the door open to say everything was made up.

Quote:
However I would still like to know where the heck that polar bear came from.
Remember, it is all made up in Jack's mind, the polar bear never existed.
This post FAILED by: