REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Jogging vs Rollerblading (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603120-jogging-vs-rollerblading.html)

Kamui712 01-18-2010 02:51 PM

Jogging vs Rollerblading

I want to do cardio but my knees hurt when I jog. I'm wondering what your opinions on Rollerblading as an alternative are?

Help is appreciated!

FN-2199 01-18-2010 02:55 PM

Rollerblading is great for cardio, as is jogging. If you want a great workout, try alternating both. You work out some different muscles when doing either exercise, but if your knees hurt from jogging, try rollerblading.

RayBot 01-18-2010 03:14 PM

Errrrr.....i tried to do rollerblading as a source of cardio, but it didn't cut it for me. If i wanted rollerblading to be a good cardio workout, i gotta find a route thats safe for me to go on a pace that i will consider a good workout, keep my legs moving continuously as opposed to cruising on my skates, and a place where i won't slalom around people. Plus,i find there is no resistance factor when i am on my skates....

I dunno... a whole bunch of factors for me that i wouldn't consider rollering a good source of cardio. Great recreational thing to do no doubt...and the chicks love it...so theres a couple of plusses!!

Kamui712 01-18-2010 03:47 PM

yea, I was taking the wheels and cruising into consideration, there's a few hills near by my place that I think i can go up and down to work on my cardio. I just don't really see much alternative to doing cardio near home w/out going to the gym.

StealthFighter 01-19-2010 02:24 PM

do your knees hurt because you're using improper shoes? or because you're overweight(not trying to be mean).

improper cushioning can be a cause. I've got flat feet, so i need stability control shoes. running shoe eventually lose their cushioning. so try to get new shoes and run on grass.

if you're overweight and your knees can't bear your weight, try walking/powerwalking/running on grass.

Kamui712 01-19-2010 02:31 PM

It might be my old shoes, I need stability control (I over pronate). There's pretty much only cement sidewalks to jog on around my area.

I'm not overweight at all, my knees hurt just from sitting so I don't believe it's my shoes. I also heard that the life of sports shoes is very short and that if you use them frequently you need to change them every few months... cost wise I'm not sure I can afford to keep buying new runners.

misteranswer 01-19-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamui712 (Post 6777731)
I'm not overweight at all, my knees hurt just from sitting

How does that happen?

Quote:

I also heard that the life of sports shoes is very short and that if you use them frequently you need to change them every few months... cost wise I'm not sure I can afford to keep buying new runners.

just as long as you're not doing a lot of stop and go movements like you do in basketball and your shoes should last longer than a few months.

eurochevy 01-19-2010 11:09 PM

ever try ice skating? if ur good at rollerblading ice skating is also something you can do at night..generally less effort than rollerblading however if ur fast enough u can get some real speed going/ cardio

Tapioca 01-22-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

It might be my old shoes, I need stability control (I over pronate). There's pretty much only cement sidewalks to jog on around my area.

I'm not overweight at all, my knees hurt just from sitting so I don't believe it's my shoes. I also heard that the life of sports shoes is very short and that if you use them frequently you need to change them every few months... cost wise I'm not sure I can afford to keep buying new runners.

See a podiatrist for a custom orthotic. If you have some kind of medical coverage, you'll pay 100-200 bucks for a pair that will last you several years. Then, you can slip them into any running shoe instead of spending $160+ for motion control shoes.

Maybe you need to do some exercises to strengthen your knees? Or, are you participating in other activities that are hard on your knees?

Kamui712 01-22-2010 08:08 PM

That's a good idea I could go see a podiatrist. I used to play a lot of soccer + basket ball + tae kwon do, feeling the effects of those days now haha.

I'll see what the podiatrist says then I'll decide where to go from there. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Alatar 01-31-2010 01:39 PM

I have about 4+ different pairs of runners I rotate through. I've had them all for about 3+ years, too.

You should look into getting a pair of orthotic inserts, as has been mentioned. That should help with the pronating problem.

Out of curiosity, do you suffer from shin-splints when running, or is it only your knees that hurt?

Kamui712 01-31-2010 01:48 PM

It's just my knees so far. I opted to get running shoes instead of rollerblades.

I just got pair of running shoes from the running room. The sales person there had me walk back and forth, she said that I'm neurtal/slightly under pronate. She gave me some stability control shoes and told me to test them on a tredmill, if I didn't like them I could return them.

After running for about 10 mins my knees hurt for the next day or so and my feet were uncomfortable while running (felt like the muscles were getting tired). Is this normal for a new pair of shoes?

My impression was that the shoes should be comfortable and provide compensation for what used to be hurting my feet in the past...

I got two different feedback about this:

1. I'm in pain because the shoes are correcting my previous "wrong" ways of my feet hitting the ground and my body isn't used to it.

2. The shoes aren't right for me, and if they were they should feel comfortable regardless of my foot type.

any ideas?

FlyNvBaller 01-31-2010 01:54 PM

why gary why?!
how comes your knees hurt but you're playing volleyball for me tonight??

you should pick up some hockey.

johny 02-02-2010 02:55 PM

for cardi without knee pain get a bike