REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anyone know where to buy E-cigs? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603177-anyone-know-where-buy-e-cigs.html)

classified 01-18-2010 08:35 PM

Anyone know where to buy E-cigs?

Anyone have one of these, whats your take on them? been thinking of gettin one to help quit. Is there any stores around vancouver that sell them? dont really want to order online. Thanks

InvisibleSoul 01-18-2010 08:37 PM

Yeah, go check your closest e-corner store.

fishing666 01-18-2010 08:44 PM

i got some e-cigs as a gift for my dad..used for a few puffs and never again
he said it was very strong even tho i got the low dose for him

report back to us on this thread about ur progress please

classified 01-18-2010 08:53 PM

where did you get yours? ive just been reading a forum saying the more advertised ones are failures and break down quick and dont give you much of a pleasure when smoking.also which one did you get?

skillznrice 01-18-2010 08:58 PM

a friend of myne from class uses one.
He said he got it from superstore i believe...

try shoppers drug mart?

fishing666 01-18-2010 09:05 PM

i got mine, the elite classic from e-puffer

http://www.epuffer.com/eshop/electro...e-classic.html

it got to my door in only a week from Ontario

although they kinda snuck it to me as nicotine is a dangerous substance and their packaging insured the courier that it contains no dangerous substance

their product arrived within reason and works as described. it lights up and i see the water vapour from heated nicotine solution after a puff. it looks cool and you can't notice the smell. watch out for the nicotine solution if it leaks a little out of the cartridges as it can absorb into your skin. [when assembling the e-cig]

it was pricey. i'm sure it's the same classic model that most other companies uses too as it was made in china. you can probably get it elsewhere for 10-20$ cheaper. I still think it is illegal in Canada.

classified 01-18-2010 09:10 PM

yeah hmm, from what ive read there isnt stores that sell them, but yeah people say some models leak and eventually frys the battary

Gnomes 01-18-2010 09:17 PM

dealextreme sells them. Free shipping but takes 4 weeks

classified 02-06-2010 05:59 PM

just got this one delivered this week http://www.canvape.com/category-s/53.htm

have to say these things are pretty sweet. only thing i need is stronger nicotine liquids.

i would defintly recomend buyin one for helping cut back. when im at home on the computer or watching tv im jus sitting there smoking this and feel no need for a real smoke. all the smokers i showed it to think its a brialliant idea. you get just as strong if not stronger throat hits and head rushes

GLOW 02-06-2010 07:45 PM

coworker used to use them and loved them. BUT the problem was he would just keep sucking on them b/c he couldnt count how many cigs he had a day b/c he's jsut sucking on the 1 e-cig. He bought them from Riverrock. however i think they have sinced stopped selling them due to them not being approved by the FDA

i saw them on dealextreme.

threezero 02-06-2010 08:05 PM

this has came up before and i type a lengthy review and my thoughts, here i quote my post

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 6646288)
www.happyvaper.com(canadian)
www.healthcabin.com(cheaper, same product but ships from china, longer wait and potential problem getting across the border)

I wouldn't get any of the mass advertise e ciggy like greensmoke, smokingeverywhere etc

recommended model, dsn901, 801, titan/happyvaper 510. the starter kit for all of them is cheaper than greensmoke

I have a set from happyvaper, 510 model in silver.

before you purchase you must have realistic expectation of what this is suppose to do.
-when a website tells you one cart = 3-4 pack of smokes they are LIEING!!!!!. cart will last you maximize 5 real cig?
- this is not quitting smoking, its an alternative, if anything when you first get it you will probably go overboard and suck on it day and night because of the convenience. than slowly you will use it as its intended
- be aware that although this emulates smoking, it does not and will not taste the same. I have yet to find a juice/cart that taste the same as real ciggy (this is a good thing as most of the taste come from the 400 chemical in real cig, e cig only have less than 5 ingredient)
-the actual ingredient that produce the vapour is no mystery, contains PG (use in fog machine), nicotine and flavouring.
-Buy juice to refill, NOT carts if you want to save money doing this.
-general rule: the more the device looks like a real cig the worse it performs

lastly do you research google for the few ecig forums that does not just promote one product.

there are various opinion on why this is ban by FDA and various health organization around the world. the obvious one would if they takes off, major tobacco company is basically screw and it is a fact that company like phlips morris have stake in FDA.

I have been using e cig for about 3 months now and here's my input the cons

-no enough research. almost all of the e cig currently are made in china, as we all know QC is a big problem there. the company are making money but not enough to dump into doing research the right way
-TOO MANY SHIT PRODUCT MADE BY SHIT COMPANY OUT TO MAKE MONEY AND RUIN THE INDUSTRY, greensmoke is one of them. the 159$ unit they sell is only slightly better thant the 5$ crap dx has
-starter kits are just that, starters. if you are going really take up e smoking you will need extra battery and atomizers (the unit that produce the vapour)
-the biggest con imo: the atomizer. it can last anywhere from few days to months. I ordered a few on them and each one of them is built slightly different and therefore no guarantee when they will die. if they are too dry or dying it give off a burning taste that cannot be good for you

all in all if you did your research before purchase like I did you will be very happy with the result. I don't expect the quit with this but I have cut down on the consumption of real ciggies and I love being able to smoke indoors. But it you saw someone use it and than immediately go google and purchase from the first link you get, you will be very dissapointed.

just a hint, french pipe flavor taste like ass. the flavor i enjoy right now is strawberry, ry4, coke and marlboro.

Obviously I have been using the ecig for a lot longer now. Went through 3 atomizer and 1 battery. My usage have slow down, I don't suck on it constantly any more, usually when i'm studying, before sleep first thing when i wake up and definately puff hard after sex.

Other than that I don't suggest you view it as a tool to help u get off smoking because it won't and you are setting yourself up for dissapointment. Look at it as a alternative way to input nicotine into your body. I still smoke regular cigs, ecigs are for the time i need the fix and i'm indoor or too lazy to go outside.

do you research before you buy, and plz if you are going to buy from dealxtreme mind as well save the money and get urself a real pack.

Manic! 02-06-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 6806486)
coworker used to use them and loved them. BUT the problem was he would just keep sucking on them b/c he couldnt count how many cigs he had a day b/c he's jsut sucking on the 1 e-cig. He bought them from Riverrock. however i think they have sinced stopped selling them due to them not being approved by the FCC

i saw them on dealextreme.

hat does the Federal Communications Commission have to do with it?

GLOW 02-07-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 6806651)
hat does the Federal Communications Commission have to do with it?

whoops, meant FDA :p

fliptuner 06-22-2013 04:54 PM

BUMP

Products and availability have changed a lot since this thread was started.

Currently using eGo VV batteries, 650mah, variable voltage (3.2, 3.7, 4.2V), with a meter built in. I got 2 in my kit and battery life is decent at around 8 hours of constant use. Charging is interesting in that if I plug it into a wall or car it takes about 4 hours but directly into my desktop, it's 1 hour.

For a clearomizer, I'm just using a Kanger MT3 style. No real issues with it either. I'm not getting as much smoke as I'd like but it's still pretty good.

My supplier is coming by in a few days and I'll try out some different stuff. I'll probably upgrade to an eGo twist for the higher voltage or maybe even an eVic. More power more smoke? Unless he has better suggestions, maybe different juice or clearomizers.

Has anyone tried using different wicking materials yet?

?NR 06-22-2013 05:20 PM

been a smoker for 20years and this has certainly helped me in alot of ways.

The positives:

Economical
Convenient
Eliminating carcinogenic tar into lungs
No more Cigarette smoke = no more 4000+ chemicals.

There's more, but the most common pluses is I don't smell like cigarettes, I can smoke in the car and not spill ash everywhere nor stink up the interior, I can taste and smell more acutely, and generally way easier for me to breathe.

Try it for yourself. :)
Posted via RS Mobile

minoru_tanaka 06-22-2013 08:14 PM

You can get everything at Vancity Vapor est. 2010 Electronic Cigarettes in Vancouver, B.C. Canada ,Personal Vaporizers and Divine Fog Vapor Liquid. . The store is near Ron Zalko on the south side of the burrard bridge. His hours are short tho, most days closes at 3pm and even then you should call first.

Then there's CEV E-Cigs Vancouver, BC. Canada in north burnaby on hastings. I've never been there but friends have, I think it's a kiosk inside the salvation army.

And then you can always find people on Craigslist where it's a little cheaper

dinosaur 06-22-2013 08:41 PM

i picked up a starter pack at 7-11 for $20

Shorn 06-22-2013 08:54 PM

some people swear by it, but i'm one of those who personally don't think e-cigs work at all.

i know i'm gonna burst some bubbles here but any sort of nicotine delivery you think you feel from e-cigs is a placebo.

reason being there has been medical studies done and the nicotine delivery from e-cigs is much, much, much slower and less efficient than traditional cigarettes, cigarettes taking roughly 7 secs from inhalation to nicotine hitting the blood brain barrier.

e-cigs take half an hour.

of course that's because e-cigs don't contain many of the chemicals put in cigarettes designed to enhance nicotine delivery such as ammonia etc ect

now i'm not saying they don't work for everyone.. but they definitely didn't work for me. some people find success with e-cigs due to the 'habit' of smoking something and holding it in their fingers etc but for me the main addiction was to nicotine and if i don't get my fix it doesn't work for me.

anyway look up the studies done, peak nicotine levels and such for different delivery methods, it's quite interesting. just my 2c on e-cigs. plus also the propylene glycol that makes up the bulk of the 'smoke' in e-cigs irritates my throat as well.. in a different way from cigs. yes i know they're safe from their use in smoke machines etc but you also have to remember they have never been tested for direct and intended inhalation repeatedly for long periods of time. people don't inhale directly from smoke machines throughout the day.

anyways if you do manage to quit with e-cigs, good for you. just saying it didn't work out for me. ALSO - most if not all of the 'e-cigs' sold in gas stations, 7-11, etc, DO NOT CONTAIN ANY NICOTINE. look on the package. if it contains nicotine it will say so.

if your really want a good nicotine substitute that is relatively safe and used by over a million people in sweden (where in fact the smoking rate is lowest among europe), is swedish snus.

it is SIMILAR, but NOT chewing tobacco, they have big differences mainly in the way they are prepared. also very different than AMERICAN snus, you want the real swedish stuff.

they did an article about it on howstuffworks: HowStuffWorks "How Snus Works"

tldr it's safer than cigarettes by a long haul, is basically a teabag of tobacco you place between your gums and upper lip, is discrete, no need to spit unlike chewing tobacco, less cancer causing agents compared to other types of oral tobacco due to the way it is produced, also nicotine levels are well documented to peak at comparable levels to cigarettes and much quicker than e-cigs as well.

downside is - they are quite expensive to import to canada because you get taxed a lot on tobacco products. i've bought them from swedish websites before and have gotten caught by the tax man roughly 50% of the time. but when you don't they are pretty cheap, much cheaper than cigs anyway.

but you should do your own research and look it up, but i can tell you from personal experience that the nicotine hit that they give you completely replaces your craving for cigarettes. you do not want one at all, because the nicotine is so strong.

anyway sorry for the wall of text but this topic is one that i've done a lot of research on before and i think i'm quite knowledgeable about.

Shorn 06-22-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8266250)
i picked up a starter pack at 7-11 for $20

they don't contain nicotine.

dinosaur 06-22-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 8266260)
they don't contain nicotine.

....which is why I bought one.

CRS 06-22-2013 09:13 PM

So what are recommendations?

So many brands and models, any particularly good ones?

minoru_tanaka 06-22-2013 09:13 PM

Shorn hit the e-cig for a 5 mins and then light a cigarette you'll feel like puking. It's absorbed into your lungs same way as the smoke is so I can't see how it can be that delayed. Please show a source.

And glycol does irritate a lot of people, I recommend glycerine base instead. Also seems to work better on the newer models.

And from what I've heard the ones at 7-11 and shoppers etc do have nicotine now and have a for year or two but I can't confirm cause I'm not buying them as the suck ass and cost way too much.

minoru_tanaka 06-22-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8266274)
So what are recommendations?

So many brands and models, any particularly good ones?

I've been using this one
Vizy Vaporizers / Vancity Vapor est. 2010

Ice boy uses this one, which I plan on switching to afterwards.
KangerTech EVOD Starter Kit with Metal BCC's - Vancity Vapor est. 2010

For flavours I recommend nothing milky or creamy or that's supposed to be some sort of coffee cause then the milky taste gets into there and it just doesn't work. Fruits seem alright, the ones that imitate cig brands are ok but they never taste too much like the brand they're supposed to taste like. Right now I just use a light mint, nothing else. The ones that taste like the different pops are good too. Coke is the best if you find a good one, it taste just like gummy cola bottles.

CRS 06-22-2013 10:23 PM

Wonder if we can go get a group deal for the KangerTech starter kit...

fliptuner 06-22-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Vizy.

They show unflavoured PG but I'm going to call and see if they have VG available (not for making my own but to thin some of mine out).

Any particular reason you're changing it up? I'm pretty happy with mine, aside from the fact I want more smoke. That's the only reason I'm considering going to a higher output vv battery and testing out different clearomizers.

CRS, the KangerTech style posted above is an excellent starter kit, IMO. Comes with everything you need besides juice, clearomizer interchangeability is excellent, you can find parts for it pretty much anywhere. Brandwise, your most solid brands that are readily available are probably going to be KangerTech or Joytech. Hell, mine's a Joytech knockoff and it works great. I think it's fair to say 99% of what's out there is made in China, so expect quality to be as such. Reputable retailers will back their products, no problem.