REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Absinthe (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603304-absinthe.html)

to0n 01-19-2010 10:38 PM

Absinthe

Does anyone know where I can buy St George's Absinthe in Canada?

not interested in the crap with green food coloring in it.

CRS 01-19-2010 11:44 PM

Good luck finding any legit absinthe in Canada.

Even when I was in France, it was tough finding places that would sell it.

IIRC, the particular root in it is illegal as it is a hallucinogen.

K-Dub 01-19-2010 11:48 PM

Ask Skinnypupp. He knows lots.

Senna4ever 01-19-2010 11:58 PM

Don't drink that stuff....you'll end up moving to the south of France and cutting your ear off! :p

SkinnyPupp 01-20-2010 12:02 AM

St. Georges is actually supposed to be the first good American absinthe. I've never tried it myself. Since it's made in US, you should be able to get it somewhere in Canada. Or just hop the border and grab some down there.

Before you buy anything check out the Fee Verte buyers guide. I've been going to that since for like 10 years, and in fact have contributed some reviews.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything without consulting with those guys first. They know all about absinthe, so believe them.

You can buy a lot of good (and bad) absinthe here. I use them exclusively. I can guarantee that 999 times out of 1000, if you buy a bottle of absinthe in a liquor store in Canada, US, UK, Most Of Europe, wherever, it's going to be garbage.

Ronin 01-22-2010 04:01 AM

I heard that it is legal to bring absinthe back when you travel overseas now. Confirm/deny? Obviously there is a limit like any alcohol and I'm not sure how this applies to buying off the internet.

Be careful though. It can be scary ass stuff. I remember when I was in Amsterdam, I remember thinking my goddamn glass and plate came alive like in goddamn Beauty and the Beast...

SkinnyPupp 01-22-2010 05:20 AM

^^ lol that was probably due to whatever else you were taking that night, not the absinthe :lol

It's not a hallucinogenic, not even close. It is not even a 'drug'. All it does is give a nice combination of drunkenness and lucidity, and it's fun to drink.

maru 01-22-2010 11:33 AM

I work in Holland, and have tried Absinthe a handful of times, but it was a disappointment for me. I guess I thought the green fairy would show up, but not for me. Just a really bad hang over the next morning

SkinnyPupp 01-22-2010 11:36 AM

Yeah the stuff in holland is going to be the furthest thing from legitimate absinthe.

raygunpk 01-22-2010 11:49 AM

how is it different from a normal drunk exactly?

Vansterdam 01-22-2010 03:02 PM

hey skinnypup, im looking for a absinthe thats fairly price and gonna give you the full effects.. taste dosent really matter i want the full trippy effects, can i order that stuff into canada? and if so can u hook up a link

rageguy 01-22-2010 03:40 PM

you become a happier drunk. typically if you drink a lot of hard liquor, you feel bad/sick/dizzy/puke. with the right absinthe and the right way to drink it, you feel more relaxed and generally happier. for the record: you won't hallucinate. that's just a myth. no seeing fairies here.

Ronin 01-22-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6782384)
^^ lol that was probably due to whatever else you were taking that night, not the absinthe :lol

It's not a hallucinogenic, not even close. It is not even a 'drug'. All it does is give a nice combination of drunkenness and lucidity, and it's fun to drink.

...well, it was Amsterdam. What else do you do but take drugs? LOL

Ronin 01-22-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageguy (Post 6783016)
you become a happier drunk. typically if you drink a lot of hard liquor, you feel bad/sick/dizzy/puke. with the right absinthe and the right way to drink it, you feel more relaxed and generally happier. for the record: you won't hallucinate. that's just a myth. no seeing fairies here.

Slotted spoon, sugar cube and a slow drip of ice water?

murd0c 01-22-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6782973)
hey skinnypup, im looking for a absinthe thats fairly price and gonna give you the full effects.. taste dosent really matter i want the full trippy effects, can i order that stuff into canada? and if so can u hook up a link

I'll pitch in for a bottle as well.

JulyZerg 01-22-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 6783399)

+1

SkinnyPupp 01-22-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunpk (Post 6782707)
how is it different from a normal drunk exactly?

Like I said, it's kind of like a 'lucid' drunkenness. You know how when people drink, they get really fucking stupid? Well with Absinthe, that doesn't seem to happen. You still get drunk, but you actually become more lucid and more creative. I think that's why so many artists liked to drink it (or maybe because it was dirt cheap, and wine was very expensive ;))
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6782973)

My all time favourite is Duplais from Switzerland. It's a 500ml bottle, but 72% alcohol so will go a long way (dilute it 3:1 or more - play around with it, the flavour really changes depending on how diluted it is)

You might also want to try Clandestine, which is a blue absinthe, for something different. They have a 2 pack available for a 10% discount, if you guys do a group buy.

Personally I am partial to Spanish absinthes, since they were the first to make 'real' (if not completely traditional) absinthe back in the late 90's when absolutely everything was garbage, and it was not being made in large quantities in the quality countries like Switzerland. I always liked Segarra, although compared to the high quality Swiss stuff you can buy today, it might not stand up to it.

Whatever you guys decide, do NOT be fooled into buying French absinthe! It is almost all garbage. It's just the same people making crap from other countries, but do it from France for marketing purposes.

Stick to Swiss, and in any case you should confirm with Fee Verte's buying guide.

nabs 01-22-2010 11:45 PM

I got a bottle in my hand right now! mine says its from check republic (sp?)

AVS_Racing 01-23-2010 12:24 AM

hm.... this sounds interesting to try

Vansterdam 01-23-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 6783399)

3 way bottle sounds preety decent.. 72% we might be able to squeeze another person in there lol sounds fun ill prob get down on this within the month or so:)

SkinnyPupp 01-23-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 6783575)
I got a bottle in my hand right now! mine says its from check republic (sp?)

Dump it down the toilet where it belongs, and get in on the group buy ;)

Crowtservo 01-23-2010 12:21 PM

I saw Taboo Absinthe at the BCL a little while back. Is it any good?

murd0c 01-23-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6783737)
3 way bottle sounds preety decent.. 72% we might be able to squeeze another person in there lol sounds fun ill prob get down on this within the month or so:)

well let me know im down for sure :thumbsup:

JulyZerg 01-23-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6783737)

:thumbsup:

SkinnyPupp 01-23-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowtservo (Post 6784027)
I saw Taboo Absinthe at the BCL a little while back. Is it any good?

Apparently it's not bad. Never tried it myself, but it's almost certainly better than anything else you could get in a BCL.