REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

where to get a high milage car inspected?

Hey guys. been a while since i've been on here.. life.. sigh lol. havin a baby, working ect..
not a lot of time to do car stuff..

So where is a good place to get my girls car mechanically inspected? she drives a 92 mx3 v6 that is having some problems.. I changed the oil on it a few months ago and noticed its leaking tranny fluid and oil.
its a real mess underneth..
put two quarts of oil in it last night *i should have been watching it more closely* but there seems to be a pretty epic leak on the top side.. the passenger side motor mount and the timing cover is soaked in oil but i dunno if its the head gasket or valve cover seal thats popped.. car smokes pretty bad in the morning, gets a little better when it warms up. she isn't losing coolant and the distro doesn't have any oil..
that's what i thought it would be originally since KLs are known to leak there, but no.
Makes a pretty bad mechanical knocking sound that gets worse with higher rpms too.

personally, i think its time for this car to be rebuilt. but we are having a baby soon and its not exactly suitable with 2 doors. its also not worth having the car rebuilt by a pro, so if i can do a few things to keep it on the road a while longer.. awesome. get a few things done professionally if they aren't like $1000
Advertisement
Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

My daughter used to have an MX3 with that 1.8 v-six and it had similar issues. It's a pain to work on and probably not worth the investment to fix. She traded hers off for a Civic even though she absolutely loved the MX3.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #3

Definitly real tight in there. We were thinking of selling it but we couldn't get much with how much it needs. Runs alright just noisy and needs oil from time to time. Might run forever might die.

I have the baby car really, msp. But she needs something reliable pref with. 4 doors and cheap. I'm the only one working so we can't afford to finance two cars.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

IMO, sell it asap, when i worked at mazda i worked on a few of these. one of them went was on its 3rd motor they only lasted abuot 100,000 each time, maybe just bad luck, but im not a huge fan of the V6 MX3 :P

they also have a bad history for headgaskits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStang View Post
Meh, if my car comes back not on fire after my wife drives it, I consider it a good day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super WOP View Post
Heavy is the opposite of light.

I'll get you some crayon and paper and draw it out for you if its too complex.
Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I have heard bad things about the v6 mx3 so i would get rid of it or hell buy a cheap engine and drop it in there

a friend of mine had a mx3 and the engine caught on fire somehow. it was not even high mileage tho I don't remember if he had heavy mods or not
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

heh. today it actually overheated... boiled off most of its coolant.. just out of nowhere the temp shot up and started steaming heh...

wonder if ic ould do a KL swap on this thing.. wonder if its worth it... fun little car, sad to see it die =(
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

ugh that sucks.... they did have waterpump issues aswell so if you wanna fix it , maybe have a look there.. but i still say get rid of it. and if you are looking for a "cheap" car that is a good family car? id vote for a mazda Protege or protege 5 good cars and retelivy cheap. i have owned a 92 and 99 protege and i currently own a 2002 protege 5 (one of each model, lol)

Quote:
Meh, if my car comes back not on fire after my wife drives it, I consider it a good day.
Quote:

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #8

I have a 2003 mazdaspeed protege so we will just run the one car for now. Did some poking around and found the upper rad hose competely drained and full of holes heh bwill reace and try to keep it going for a while.
I'd love to get her a p5 but we can't afford that much for sure. Will probably sell her mx3 and hold onto the money until we can get her a good 626/sentra/accord in a few months. Too bad she can't drive stick. Msp is quite fun hehe.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #9

p5's are pretty cheap, i picked my 02 up for $2500 (altho it needed about $2000 worth of work too (Tbelt, Tires, ect), but still, about $6000 and you coudl get a mint p5, prob less if you are getting an auto, (but teach her to drive stick :P )

Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #10

We can afford 2500 lol. I can do a lot of the work but parts are an issue with a newborn. I'm not exactly makin lawer dollars heh. But I'd love to get her s p5. My first car was p5.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Get a 90-93 Accord EX-R amazing cars especially most being 4-dr's for family!
vicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #12

We gonna go without for a while and just use the msp. But a new family car down the road then the msp gets a new engine and a 3071r.
Posted via RS Mobile