REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   cost of re-roofing in Vancouver? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605232-cost-re-roofing-vancouver.html)

bcedhk 02-06-2010 01:56 PM

cost of re-roofing in Vancouver?

what is the average cost of re-roofing in vancouver per 1000sq.ft based?

We got quoted almost 7500 taxed to re-roof our home! It was 2500Sq.ft and we thought that was really expensive? The company is BBB approved, with a great package for us to review, but we dont think our house needs that much of an investment .. (considering is like 30 years old already, and i'm sure within 20-30 years our neighborhood will be restructured)

fliptuner 02-06-2010 11:51 PM

I can't give you an accurate price on how much a new roof will cost but you need to ask yourself:

1. Do you need a new roof?
---is it going to leak soon, is the wood underneath rotting out, are the shingles cracked and at the end of their lifespan....

2. If you decide to sell the house with an old roof, are you willing to reduce the price accordingly?

Did you have a reputable contractor actually inspect it and give you a quote or did you just ask based on the size?

You might just need a few patches but it can also go as far as needing a complete gut (demo, waste removal, new plywood, vents, hardware, shingles, tar paper, ice shield, labour) - it can add up. The roofer might also find that your gutters are no good or need repairs.

Honyoung 02-07-2010 12:47 AM

imo if you're planning on moving soon i wouldnt bother with a new roof
but if you're going to stay then yes i think a new roof would be a good investment

bcedhk 02-07-2010 10:19 AM

the contractor is reliable, it is certified by the BBB, and actually was the roofer for this house 30 years ago.

there were lots of missing shingles from the wind storm a few weeks ago, so we probably would need to get a re-roof done.

even though we might not stay long, i think doing this job will be a good investment for reselling our house. Although the house is 30 years old now, i think these renovation will hold the price better when we sell our home cause many of the interior/exterior has been renovated.

fliptuner 02-07-2010 10:28 AM

So it's been rained on and there are missing shingles? I'd get someone up there to give you a thorough estimate asap.

beatdownvictim 02-07-2010 12:07 PM

call your insurance company. have them send out a contractor and see what they'll cover. i know for a fact that one of BC's largest insurers will cover the entire cost of the roof if there's roof damage. If they decline to replace the roof, who cares, it won't cost you anything to have a contractor come out to take a look for you, as the insurance company will foot that expense without your premiums going up.

racerman88 02-07-2010 03:42 PM

do not cheap out otherwise it can cost you more $$$ later on

TigerSY 02-07-2010 04:03 PM

Without hearing anything in detail, that quote sounds cheap already.

CRS 02-08-2010 05:37 PM

Cost me about 15k to get my roof completely redone. This was a couple years ago.

hondatekker 02-14-2010 07:05 AM

it depends on what roof your installing wood shingles are the most expansive by far

subordinate 02-14-2010 10:32 AM

And, since a roofing job is expensive, I would pay the coupe grand for reassurance by hiring a consulting company to oversee the job, making sure the job is well done before releasing the initial payments, etc.

Just remembered this, if you are leaning towards the side of hiring a cheaper company that is somewhat shady.

''if the contractor has not paid their Workers' Compensation account, you as the home owner are responsible for the medical costs of a worker who is injured at your home.''

windchaser 02-17-2010 01:27 PM

that quote is unbeliablely cheap for the size of the house......... we got ours done almost double the price last year... its the same size house as well

racerman88 02-22-2010 07:26 PM

penfolds does good work and they have been in the industry for a long time

Supersport 03-22-2010 04:50 PM

I used all season roofing recently to do my house. I paid 8000 taxes in. But prices also depend on the slope, the amount of peaks. my neighbor and I both used the same company and he paid 6500 cause he has a $$$$$$$$$ style home with no peaks and etc. Also, are u going from cedar to asphalt? 7000 something sounds about right.

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-23-2010 02:06 PM

$8000 sounds about right for an average size house

xxxrsxxx 05-09-2016 02:42 PM

anyone had their roof done recently? Our roof is getting old and needs to be replaced.

swiftshift 05-09-2016 02:43 PM

Can range $10,000+

Urrtoast 05-09-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftshift (Post 8754175)
Can range $10,000+

Yup
And Penfold's is not that great as they failed to support and warranty a roof tile they had carried and then suddenly stopped.

punkwax 05-09-2016 04:07 PM

Is it a 2500sqft rancher or how many floors? Obviously a rancher would be the full 2500 whereas 2 or 3 floors you divide somewhat accordingly.

blkgsr 05-09-2016 09:12 PM

call canuck roofing, locally owned and they do great work

fsy82 05-10-2016 10:57 AM

im surprised your insurance company has not mandated you to do your roof. for us they told us we cannot get insurance until we replaced the roof.

racerman88 06-01-2016 05:16 AM

Go with a reputable company like Penfold's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G 06-01-2016 07:31 AM

Anyone have experience with Stormrider Roof Repairs? They are rated super high with tons of reviews on Homestars.

Another question I have is, do I go with a larger company like Penfolds, where it has mixed reviews, but I am guessing they provide warranty? Whereas, this Stormrider company is a 1 man team and may provide warranty...

Looking at repairing concrete tile roofing, fixing up skylights, and even gutter work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

subordinate 03-29-2017 11:10 AM

Back to this..with all the rain, my Parent's house roof is leaking.

A friend had used Penfolds and boy...25,000....ish

Is that What I'm expecting to pay on a Vancouver Special? I'll get some quotes, but any opinions/recommendations here?

racerman88 03-29-2017 06:59 PM

cost of re-roofing in Vancouver?

The prices are completely dependent on the materials that you choose. We used them as well and we're very happy. We paid about half that because we stuck with basic shingles.
If you go with them make sure you say your friend referred you and he will get a gift card for the referral.
You could go with an Asian or East Indian company and pay a lot less, but will you have peace of mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk